Numeon's sacrifice

b1soul

'Any reason given for why Numeon's sacrifice results in Vulkan's resurrection? ' - fully agree with Melancholic Sanquinity. 

That all was written just for plot demands. The book is horrible even without that (boring SM, stupid journey, cartoonish villains, Life-eater and flamers.....)  - but  that 'sacrifice'. 'President of the USA got up one morning and decided to resurrect Washington. To do that he need to sacrifice himself - because in the Texas canyons there are rocks that could resurrect someone with blood sacrifice. But not just someone - but it should be a direct line of Presidents - just .....because. Why he get that info - well, because evil ISIS terrorist used evil machine to break his brains! And so he went to the Canyons and blow himself up. Next morning - happy George Washington walk up from the Canyons!' - see all is so simple! Now i could write another HH bestseller. 

All in all - 'Deathfire' is the most horrible novel in all HH. And NUmeon 'sacrifice' just the tip of the fething iceberg 

God, what the censored.gif was that about...

Numeon abandoned Imperium Secondus to fly into a warp storm of gargantuan proportions with, to his knowledge, the last survivors of his legion, so he could complete the fool proof plan of...

Hurling the corpse of his Primarch into a Volcano.

So he would be alive again.

I mean seriously, it's just beyond :cussing stupid. It's the worst plan ever conceived by anyone.

"MAYBE THIS MOLTEN HOT LAVA WILL RESURRECT OUR MIGHTY LORD. NOPE. DIDN'T WORK. MAYBE WE JUST NEED TO THROW MORE MARINES IN THERE. OKAY THAT DID IT, THANKS PLOT."

So. :cussing. stupid.

• 3 weeks later...

I  did not like Deathfire , I am not a salamanders player nor do I enjoy the legion as a whole
( as an african american it is quite common  when I  tell  someone I play space marines fro them to stupidly laugh and ask if I play Salamanders ) 

I read Deathfire as the story of a man who  was so emotionally  and mentally destroyed by his fathers  passing that he was willing to do anything no matter how stupid or  far fetched to attempt to bring him back. 

Numeon honestly believed he was doing everything he could for his legion because in his perception the only way for them to right themselves was to bring Vulkan back. He wanted so desperately for his plan to work that he shattered even further when it didint.  Which is funny because the best thing for his legion would have been for him to lead them , it would have been for him to rebuild and lead.  

Personally I  dont think  Numeon pitching himself into the Volcano had anything to do with Vulkan coming back to life nor do I think that the magma of mount deathfire served to do much of anything for Vulkan.  I think he just needed time, I think  Numeon  had he decided " Okay we will fight on , our father will either rise again or we will inter him into the mountain when we can get back" would have been better for everyone involved.  

Numeon could have been  all " Vulkan Lives ... I  am Vulkan (insert stupid last name here"  Got some fancy armor , and led the  chapter , instead despite what everyone else is telling him  he just cant let go of his dad , he feels , he knows his old man can come back from this  so he grasps at the first thing that makes the most sense for him. 

" Vulkan Lives , Vulkan Lives , Vulkan Lives." x 350

Did anyone catch that bit about the Sallies finding the hulk of an enormous WB ship? I listened to the audio and cannot ever again do that, so I cant recall where in the story it was, but at the time I really thought it seemed like they came across the grave of one of the Kingships, the Blessed Lady or Trisageon. 

thoughts?

Did anyone catch that bit about the Sallies finding the hulk of an enormous WB ship? I listened to the audio and cannot ever again do that, so I cant recall where in the story it was, but at the time I really thought it seemed like they came across the grave of one of the Kingships, the Blessed Lady or Trisageon.

thoughts?

It is more likely the Furious Abyss which is still floating around Macragge somewhere.

Depending on how you read it, that was never Numeon. Numeon had died and his body was being controlled by Magnus, who was trying to save his brother. That is why he showed such little respect or reverence for the other primarchs. Once again Magnus and the Thousand Sons have tried to save the Imperium.

Magnus is the Rodney Dangerfield of the Horus Heresy, no respect. sad.png

thoughts?

It is more likely the Furious Abyss which is still floating around Macragge somewhere.

I dunno about that one. It seemed to happen when they were at least a fair bit a ways on their journey out? I can't listen to it again so...

Plus, it talked about several dead ships as well as identifiable Ultramarines locked in whatever poses they were in for all eternity. And didn't Pollux state very directly that the hulk of the Furious Abyss was to be removed from Macragges orbit ASAP in Unremembered Empire?

I just wonder if we're in for a story about how another Kingship was downed. Preferably not by a Space Wolf named Bryyyyynnnnnnggggggaaaaarrrrrr in the oldest cliche of throwing a hand held bomb into the reactor core of a big ship. 

I must admit it was problematic (the villains, the vigilator-as-knight, etc), but I liked it as a study of grief and indeed madness. It was at points inspired, at other points much less so. And yes Vulkan's return is not science fiction, it can never be rational, but it isn't a deus ex machina, since it was the culmination of the plot to that point, not something from elsewhere. It's a wonderful element of fantasy or anthrological myth, an element of ancient religious or epic plotting that felt suitable. Sacrifice is and was at the heart of many older religious systems, and it's a powerful, potent, causative agent. And this novel was about the sacrifice of Numeon, a man unhinged, irrational and deeply spiritual, an Abrahamic figure - that's quite a nice thing to read, to put into the fabric of this IP which tends to sideline the negative psychological effects of living through hell, or a world turned upside down.

It felt like the Leftovers for a contemporary reference, itself a study of grief and loss and pain. And that's no bad thing. 

In response to the OP: no specific explanation has been given.

But then, that's the point, at least so far. The way it's set up and executed is meant to evoke a mythical rise from the dead, and a culmination of Numeon's journey. It might be given a concrete explanation later on, or it might not. It would be far from the only or first thing in the 30K/40K universe done like that, and personally, I like it. There's plenty about Deathfire I don't like, but that's not one such aspect.

I certainly don't think it's fair to dismiss it as "because the plot demanded it". For one thing, the plot -didn't- really demand it: Nick Kyme didn't have to do it. It's not like Russ surviving the Heresy or Sanguinius being slain by Horus at Terra, where we know their fate in advance. Vulkan's fate is one of the true mysteries of the Heresy (for now anyway), and Nick could easily have left him dead or at least ambiguous, and not failed to meet some pre-existing plot criteria. In addition, it's something the novel as a whole builds to, not just a last minute choice because the author wrote himself into a corner.

In response to the OP: no specific explanation has been given.

But then, that's the point, at least so far. The way it's set up and executed is meant to evoke a mythical rise from the dead, and a culmination of Numeon's journey. It might be given a concrete explanation later on, or it might not. It would be far from the only or first thing in the 30K/40K universe done like that, and personally, I like it. There's plenty about Deathfire I don't like, but that's not one such aspect.

I certainly don't think it's fair to dismiss it as "because the plot demanded it". For one thing, the plot -didn't- really demand it: Nick Kyme didn't have to do it. It's not like Russ surviving the Heresy or Sanguinius being slain by Horus at Terra, where we know their fate in advance. Vulkan's fate is one of the true mysteries of the Heresy (for now anyway), and Nick could easily have left him dead or at least ambiguous, and not failed to meet some pre-existing plot criteria. In addition, it's something the novel as a whole builds to, not just a last minute choice because the author wrote himself into a corner.

Exactly! The novel has problems, but this was perhaps the part of it that was best handled. 

Archived