Numeon's sacrifice

b1soul

Why would he be healed/resurrected  by Deathfire? 

Well behind the metaphorical sense that it was part of their tradition to toss people into the Volcano, the Primarch came back despite how many deaths at curze, atmospheric entry, and whatnot? Maybe he though that the volcano would destroy the Primarchs physical body around the Fulgurite because it was that which  was preventing him from resurrecting. In the realms of Sci-Fi fantasy I don't see this as particularly unbelievable. Do most of you?

To b1soul's question, maybe Numeon's death had nothing to with it and like 1000sons suggested that maybe he was Magnus' puppet from the get go. And his faux life spark went into Vulcan.

I'm far from the biggest Salamander fan, but there's only so much crap a chapter can take before my heart starts bleeding for them.

Brothers, I do hope you succeed in your mission to retrieve the artefacts of Vulcan, so that you can resurrect him once and for all in 40k, so that when the End Times come, he can create the ultimate artefact, with which he will be able to drive off Nick Kyme.

Doesn't he still have the fulgurite sticking out of his chest ( Vulkan ) therefore by having his body melted the fulgurite wasn't in his chest, so he could resurrect? I.e. The fulgurite only worked in so far it remained a part of Vulkan and Numeon throwing himself into the mountain actually was a tragedy of misinformation. Numeon need not have sacrificed himself. Sad times?

Haven't finished the book yet. Had it over 2 months. It's really hard going.

I suppose that could make sense. His body couldn't regenerate whilst the Fulgurite was stuck in him. But with his body burned up (again) it would have fallen out and his body could have come back.

Or it was some Mumbo jumbo about the volcano only accepting a life for a life. But we won't believe that mountains can perform acts like that because The Emperor has told us that there is only The Inperial Truth.

I suppose that could make sense. His body couldn't regenerate whilst the Fulgurite was stuck in him. But with his body burned up (again) it would have fallen out and his body could have come back.

Or it was some Mumbo jumbo about the volcano only accepting a life for a life. But we won't believe that mountains can perform acts like that because The Emperor has told us that there is only The Inperial Truth.

Actually, I wouldn't put it as Deathfire doing it. Remember, in order to kill Vulkan, Grammaticus had to sacrifice his ability to reincarnate in order to use the fulgurite. It is actually rather possible that Numeon's sacrifice instead was focused through the fulgurite, via the big giant melting pot known as Deathfire, to breathe life back into Vulkan.

Basically Numeon's sacrifice, at a symbolically relevant time and place, counteracted Grammaticus's earlier sacrifice, allowing Vulkan to resume his regenerative cycle.

I was thinking more along the lines of a straight up resurrection but yeah, your way actually sounds better.

Basically Numeon's sacrifice, at a symbolically relevant time and place, counteracted Grammaticus's earlier sacrifice, allowing Vulkan to resume his regenerative cycle.

So :cussing dumb. What the hell is the fulgurite supposed to be anyway? I've read Vulkan lives, but it made my head hurt with the stupid.

The fulgurite is an actual shard of the Emperor's psychic might captured in physical form. And even though it is merely a fragment of that, it still maintains the full potency. In other words, as long as you don't burn the thing out, you literally have the power of the Emperor at your fingertips. Stupid piece of rock is more powerful than most daemon weapons.

Yes I stand corrected, I re-read the end of the book and the Fulgurite is still impaled in Vulcan. Whether that means he has lost his perpetual abilities at this point seems unclear.

The shard of The Emperors power seems good, although it is just a normal spear tip that He has infused with power or is it His psychic energy made manifest into a physical item?

Doesn't he still have the fulgurite sticking out of his chest ( Vulkan ) therefore by having his body melted the fulgurite wasn't in his chest, so he could resurrect? I.e. The fulgurite only worked in so far it remained a part of Vulkan and Numeon throwing himself into the mountain actually was a tragedy of misinformation. Numeon need not have sacrificed himself. Sad times?

Why does Numeon have to jump into the fires of Mt. Doom?

Why does Numeon have to jump into the fires of Mt. Doom?
Because he was the Gollum of the Heresy?

Numeon wasn't sacrificed, he was't alive to begin with.  In their discussion, Magnus tells him you are dead and I took control of you to help Vulcan.  Magnus used the psykic power of the shard, and maybe there was some power being in Nocturne to help heal Vulcan and then no longer needed to keep animating Numeon.

Why is the only thing that can kill him a magical piece of solidified Emprah power? It just sounds so stupid.

Because he was an instantly resurrecting genetically enhanced superbeing made from the "Emprah's" own genetic material and power? I mean honestly, if something like that can survive reentry with no protection and regenerate enough of a body to make a small impact crater, it would be rather hard to permanently kill such a being. Unless you can think of a more conventional means to do it? I mean, Vulkan has been killed with a fork, quartered, voided, beheaded, incinerated, stabbed and probably even decapitated, so not really a whole lot left to try.

I didn't hate this one as much as I did Vulkan Lives actually, which surprised me. However the part that made me die laughing was in the afterword, where Kyme says, and I quote:

"They say sequels are tough, especially after a successful debut. By all accounts, Vulkan Lives went down very well (if it didn't, I wouldn't be writing this afterword for a follow up, despite all my planning).

http://i1162.photobucket.com/albums/q532/mv8830/Reactions/Jake_laughing_zps4jximgzv.gif

Well, it did sell like hotcakes. And I could be wrong, but all the "important" critics aren't 40K fans. I said it on release and I'll say it again; It is a well-written novel. It just isn't a well-written 40K novel.

I don't know man, Vulkan Lives felt disjointed, drawn out, lost, and meandering. In the realm of 40k it was at least acceptable because of the storyline it moved forwards, outside the realm of 40k it was atrocious. I cannot see anyone picking it up as a simple sci-fi read and thinking it was good. 

Like I have never hated a novel so much, and this isn't coming from my status as a Night Lord fan, just a simple connoisseur of works of fiction. 

I am certainty not as hard as some of you are on the HH novels but I have to confess tremendous difficulty in getting through death fire

It started out promising and bordered on absurd for me. The middle of the journey was a grind. But one thing I did find intriguing is this might be the first novel I can recall the traitor legions actually betraying each other. This almost felt premature to me at this point in the heresy and especially considering the motivation.

I thought it started strong but eventually the final scenes on nocturne felt like a Harry Potter movie.

I don't know that I am personally that perturbed with the sacrifice because by then I felt burned out on the journey.

Archived