Wolf King Spoilers and Discussion

Marshal Rohr

Guys, can we get off of the brutality topic? smile.png make a separate thread if you need to, but this thread is on the book.

Is there anything implied about the future of the AL fleet and their direction?

The Alpha Legion fleet is broken by the Chimaera, their Gloriana-class capital ship escapes, though it is heavily damaged. I suspect the AL will spend the next little while licking their wounds much like the VI. I'm eager to find out if their next major involvement is the Battle of Yarant, where Abaddon was present and which is also pitting the traitors against the Wolves. Perhaps Horus orders his chosen son to lead a combined force in response to the AL's failing to get the job done the first time.

Just want to ask, I have always thought this AL legion is actually the one led by Alpharius and not the other part led by Omegon.

Somehow Russ in Terra knew Lion was heading to Ultramar.

What is the timeline of Grey Angel? Definitely before Vengeful Spirit.

Grey Angel doesn't have a timeline, although events would suggest it concurrent to Wolf King because the whole point of it is to see who the Dark Angels are loyal to. Not a specific part of the Dark Angels, but the entirety of the Legion.

This would mean it'd almost have to be before the forces on Terra became exposed to the concept of the Shattered Legions where bits and pieces of Traitor Legions are fighting for the Imperium and vice versa, so it'd still have to be early on in the Heresy.

Now, Vengeful Spirit is in Year 4 of the Heresy so chances are that in that four years, the Lion has managed to establish some kind of contact with Terra from the Thramas sector before he went into the Ruinstorm so that easily explains how Russ knew where was going one year later.

@Legatus: It's during the assault on Armatura. Just look for the passage that starts out with Khârn wondering where he is, how he got there and where's the rest of the Legion.

I found this:

"The Nails weren’t implants as remembrancers and archeotechnicians understood the idea. The implants added nothing to a World Eater’s brain. Instead, they stole from it. They bleached a warrior’s mind of all reason, all caution, all mortality’s instincts. The Nails rewarded rage with spurts of electrochemical pleasure, tingling synapses and deadening enjoyment of everything else. No better machine had ever been contrived to encourage warriors into pursuing the dubious peace found in absolute, careless, guiltless fury."

It is from Chapter nine of 'Betrayer'. It then goes on to describe as Khârn is continue to fight how he specifically is losing it to the rage. I am not sure that is meant to imply that that is necessarily an effect of the nails (other than an advanced stage of mental damage caused by their prolonged use). The HH1 does describe that some legionaries were overcome by the Nails, but that this was not universally the case. At least not initially once they had managed to successfully integrate them.

And are these Lutherite Angels loyal to the Imperium and not the Lion?

It seems like it, because they only joined the battle once they were sure of the Wolves loyalties.

New plot twist: Both factions of Dark Angels were loyal to the Imperium? :O

I don't believe there is any indication that Luther ever harboured betrayal toward The Emperor. Yes he declared calabanite independence but this was a reaction to the heresy, he made no attempt to join or aid the traitors. His hatred was directed towards the lion, this would explain why the 'fallen' never left Caliban. They resented the Lion for his perceived abandonment not the emperor. There's no doubt that was the crack into which the gods wormed their way into and perhaps if Caliban hadn't been consumed by a seemingly neutral (ie not aligned to the 4) warp entity luther would have allied with the traitor legions.

The whole thing in the unforgiven with Tuchulcha at the end is very interesting. I would suggest you read it but it's by Gav Thorpe (I actually quite enjoyed it)

The whole thing in the unforgiven with Tuchulcha at the end is very interesting. I would suggest you read it but it's by Gav Thorpe (I actually quite enjoyed it) 

is it confirmed that Tuchulcha is independend?

After all, Typhon got his Mark of Nurgle after the Lion got him :o 

No, he didnt give the mark. Once Lion got hold of Tuchulcha and left, Nurgle bestowed the mark on Typhon for being faithful.

Added to this fact is Tuchulcha told Typhon to escape instead of trying to claim him as he prefered Lion.

Tuchulcha is definitely independent.

Yep it was The Lion - tbh, i always thought it was Nurgle's plan to give Tuchulcha to Johnson - corrupting the DA's from within^^ - but i may be wrong^^

haven't read the Unforgiven yet (althought i own the e-book), so maybe it's more clear there^^

Did Bjorn and his 6 man pack slaughter an AL terminator and 12 AL and a bunch of AL auxiliaries on AL home turf ...at only the cost of 3 SW?

AL auxiliaries? we need more details about that ^_^

Those have been disrupted since Betrayer. Wolf King is just the proverbial nail in the coffin that says "Dudes, you were wrong. Just give it a rest."

Thank goodness, I smiled when I read that bit where either Bjorn or Russ (can't remember) is thinking about the legions fate and just going, "damn we thought we were so awesome for so long. We basically lived on our own hype and now it's being proven to be hot air and posturing in the face of real tactics and battlefield logistics."

@Kol

Malcador could have sent them in response to the comments made by the DA in regard to the Lion.  But I tend to agree with you in that he probably sent Loken before Russ' return to Terra. 

But if so. Malcador's guys can travel REAL fast through the warp despite all of the craziness. I remember First Heretic and they talk about how a certain distance would take over a year. Or the time it took the Remembrances to reach their assigned expedition fleets.

---

Another interesting point. The commander of the Chimera isn't as anti-Lion as the operative is. He generally wants to know of the Lion's whereabouts and his loyalty and (to me and my poor memory) seemed saddened by Russ' lack of knowledge of it. 

It is interesting the amount of similarities between the Horus Heresy and Luther's rebellion.  The Emperor returns to Terra and leaves Horus to conquer the galaxy. The Lion send Luther to Caliban while he and the Legion try to conquer the galaxy. Luther and Horus both resent their father/Son-brother and begin a rebellion. Both the Emperor and the Lion are portrayed as bad fathers to their "sons." Luther mortally wounds the Lion. The Emperor destroys Horus. Or maybe I am reaching ;)

Well technically the Ruinstorm wasn't fully realized until Nurceria was destroyed. At the time Garro went, it was "birthing" I guess you could call. It existed but it wasn't fully realized.

No, actually the discrepancy in that story was that the Ultramarines were out on the surface instead of hiding underground from the rad-storms. Although I think I vaguely recall them taking shelter in some buildings, but if that was enough for protection then there wouldn't have been the Underground War.

As for warp travel, it's always relative. If I had to guess, I would say that when they give an eta for warp travel, it is actually an average guesstimation where they analyze the planned route and then create an estimate based on the average time to travel along that route as recorded by Imperial ships under normal conditions. So favorable conditions shorten while unfavorable conditions lengthen it and all of this is of course ignoring the possibility of temporal displacement where a ship could arrive before or after it is needed to arrive.

I actually like how John French actually managed to pull off the temporal displacement bit in his Ahriman series.

Archived