Wolf King Spoilers and Discussion

Marshal Rohr

I am actually going to pelt them up, but it is finding a way to do it which does not dominate the model and make people scream Wolfy McWolf-Wolf.... The one who really needs it is the terminator with the horrific mold slip across the top of him

Well until I get somethig from FW, I will be relying on iconography more than anything for my Wolves, and minimal wolfiness

My PIP wolves:

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20151010_223504.jpg

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20151010_223938.jpg

They require a bucketload of cleaning up, but it is intentional. I am a messy painter, so do messy bits first and clean up on the armour :)

I do plan to add bits like knives and runes t the armour sparingly but not pelts.. dangly bits and engine intakes n  exhausts do not mix!!

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20150422_184917.jpg

My Jarl, he most wolfy of my 30K models

http://i1206.photobucket.com/albums/bb456/dantay_xv/20150413_191214.jpg

Anyway back to the book.... I am annoyed they retconned away all the honours thing for the Wolves, but in a way I ma also glad they gave the we have less honours because of our role and also we have no friends or allies because of our actions... Personally as a wolf player I can feel like that on the forums sometimes with the amount of :cuss  levelled at the 6th.

It is also good to see that the Wolves have learned that they must change with the times and evolve from what they once were to what they are now, andI hope they expand on how the change occurs.

A good story with a cool twist in the tail.

Where are those axes from if you don't mind me asking? I need them in my life.

These are all dwarf axes, The larger ones  think are from the Hammerers/ Longbeards set. In fact the smaller ones could be from there too.

I used them to get across that the Wolves are more than just superstitious barbarians in space. Like the Vikings of old, there is more to them than meets the eye. Vikings were great travelers, statesmen, traders, storytellers, farmers and artisans, even though they are most famous for being warriors.

I am hoping that by using pieces like this rather than say beastman parts, it shows there is more than meets the eye to a Wolf. :)

Book arrived today and I've read it, it was a great read despite having read the spoilers. I like the more humbled approach Chris has given them now. I also liked the little "no one will care about the Lions second in command" because he's right but not for the reason he thinks tongue.png

The commander of the space fort wasn't hostile about the Lion he was more confused as to what was going on and whether he had heard anything from him, it was the infiltrator that seemed totally dismissive of him. I think this has set up the Space Wolves and Dark Angels coming to the "rescue" during the siege perfectly, it gives a reason as to why it took the Wolves so long but also to why the 1st wasn't either since half were on the other side of the galaxy and the other half couldn't figure out what was happening.

I also cross referenced the small map in the book comes with the galatic map in the first HH FW book and it makes mention of the Abyss in the novella. If it's the same "Abyss" then the actions here occurred on the northern rim of the galaxy due west of Istvaan since that's where the FW book places "Abyss".

Edit:

However if you take into consideration where Prospero is (which I just found on the map) then it can't be the same Abyss unless they were chased far to the galatic north. Likewise if you also take into consideration where Chondax is placed, the area in which the White Scars were trapped, then it's even less likely it's the same abyss.

I also cross referenced the small map in the book comes with the galatic map in the first HH FW book and it makes mention of the Abyss in the novella. If it's the same "Abyss" then the actions here occurred on the northern rim of the galaxy due west of Istvaan since that's where the FW book places "Abyss".

Edit:

However if you take into consideration where Prospero is (which I just found on the map) then it can't be the same Abyss unless they were chased far to the galatic north. Likewise if you also take into consideration where Chondax is placed, the area in which the White Scars were trapped, then it's even less likely it's the same abyss.

It's two separate abysses. The one in the galactic north is the Grail Abyss, which is covered in HH4.

Just one thing I'd like to add about the Wolves vs WE Brutality argument.

There is a difference between Brutality and Mindless Brutality. The Wolves were known for the former, and the WE for the latter.

In some ways, calculated Brutality is more terrifying than mindless violence...

Well. Garro was able to pick Rubio up and bring him to Terra then head to Istvaan and get Loken, bring him back to Terra then send out Loken to Caliban then bring him back to Terra then... the events in Vengeful Spirit (3 years after Istvaan?). I imagine that Malcador has capable ships that can traverse the warp very well in spite of all the warp storms still seems a little fast, however IMO. Malcador should be sending out his A-Team to collect Primarchs. Send them to Maccrage. There were 4 loyal ones on the surface for goodness sake. He spent half the time sending Space Wolves everywhere it seems. 

IRC The old lore had it that the warp wasn't really working as it was the domain of Chaos and they became powerful due to the Heresy unfolding due to the chaos that accompanied it. The Ruinstorm being the name of the storm(s) that completely cutoff Ultramar from everything else. But I am a little fuzzy so I might not be remembering correctly.

Man finished this sucker the other day and I did NOT see the Dark Angels bit coming. Satisfying plot twist for sure. Really love what the book did for the character of the wolves and Russ most of all. I love how getting their teeth kicked in really forced them to take a hard look in the mirror and realize that they can't keep sailing the same course and survive.

There is a difference between Brutality and Mindless Brutality. The Wolves were known for the former, and the WE for the latter.

have to agree, it's like comparing a rabid dog and a wild wolf(hint hint, nudge nudge)

the former is a bit sad on reflection, while the later will hunt you down and eat your guts, every step taken carefully to achieve its goal, while the former is just mad and won't plan anything.

Perhaps...but in their fight, it was Russ who lost his temper and swung first at Angron ;)

Maybe more a case that the Wolves can no longer act alone.

If they do not join with their brothers they will die.... Also they need to stop being axe-men, persecuting wars against, xenos, human and sometimes even their own. The role they took on left them with few to no friends and it is a big galaxy. Who would mourn the passing of the Wolves? 

Instead they must become protectors & work alongside their brothers.

That is my take on it.

Just becauses you swing first doesn't mean a loss of control.... Nobody considers the Lion any the less honourable even though he struck first (with a bit of a low blow) against Curze when they met for parlay ;)

Ah back to this again?!?

Give it a break guys scratched record and all that..

On topic please.

Russ is clearly down. He saw his legion tricked to destroy a legion and lost a lot of men in the process, he then gets attacked b another legion and they are almost destroyed in the process, but rescued with the help of the Dark Angels.

Russ realizes while in the Nebula that his Wolves have cultivated an image of being invincible destroyers of xenos, man and when needed Astartes, but it is clearly not the case. The legion cannot heedlessly go off killing on the orders of the Emperor any more, as one mans word can easily be misinterpreted or twisted. Besides as depleted s they are, they can no longer sustain the role of executioner, if that is what they even were.

The Wolves were humbled by what happened to them and realized, that they can no longer act alone, but must embrace the Imperium, for only becoming a part of it, rather than being on the outside will they survive. So rather than kill, slay and be reviled, they must protect their lands, the imperium and its people from the enemies of man. The old guard do not understand this as they were bred for war, and did not care on whom they would wage it, but Bjorn was not of the old guard. Steeped in traditions enough to understand the history and psyche of the Wolves but young enough to adapt, it is to him that he will turn to ensure the future of the Space Wolves...

Off topic:

And yes, the Wolves helped protect the realms of man and yes they went to war with the Inquisition after they broke oaths and yes Grimnar beheaded a grand master of the 666th Chapter after oaths were broken again. And yes there were serious ramifications for the Wolves. In the war, they lost many, their homeworld came under siege, they lost ships.... It was only the introduction of Bjorn that saved them and Grimnar was slapped down by the Old Wolf. The WOlves acted in the best intentions but the war was messy and probably did more harm to the Imperium than the war of Armageddon ever did.... But that was down to Broken Inquisition oaths.

Instead of whining about it on the forums, why not take it up with the author and get his reasoning why he wrote it into the book...

So...after Alaxxes Russ and his SW ceased being delusional?

Cuz I have no idea why he thinks his legion is somehow above the rest...sounds like a delusional ego-booster

It was an ego booster, they fed it so they could portray the "executioners" they wanted to represent, which is why they didn't make friends with others or take counsel from them.

Just becauses you swing first doesn't mean a loss of control.... Nobody considers the Lion any the less honourable even though he struck first (with a bit of a low blow) against Curze when they met for parlay ;)

The Lion did lose control...just like he lost control when he punched Russ into unconsciousness.

Russ was arguable even less in control. The Lion seems to have struck Curze out of contempt. Russ was roaring at Angron as he charged Angron out of rage at Angron's mockery.

Bottom line is Russ and Angron were trading verbal barbs...and only Russ lost his cool.

But what is your opinion on the next evolution of the wolves. It may not be apparent to the legion as a whole but to Russ and Bjorn at least there is going to be a reckoning and change in the way the wolfs wage war. I do agree that this is the first steps to their 40k counter parts, becoming the protector of the All Fathers realms. However, I feel this will be a gradual change, as Bjorn gains more power and influence in the Wolves, so my question is what is the next step? Are they to become the wild berserkers now and kill as many as they can, as the greater Imperium sees them in their later years? Are they going to become more cunning and vengeful because of their depleted strength and pick and choose battles and adapt to wars with new strategies and units than when they were first dragged into the heresy? Are they going to become a overwhelming shock assault force much like the sons of horus, I imagine this might happen if they invade the vengeful spirit, with their depleted strength? Or will they become defenders and defend the all fathers realms from Horus's attacks? The wolves are evolving and I'm interested to see what they become next, do they become their 40k counterparts, or do they evolve into something different from what we have seen? Either way, I feel the evolved wolves will have a big impact in the next war, The Scouring!

Quote from the book, was that many of the old guard were caught in the old ways, much like Lord Gunn and were incapable of change.

If the Wolves thought themselves so great then why were they fine with Russ not being made Warmaster? They know their place.

The Wolves would tell stories, saga's which built them up and made them feel invincible and helped them be exceptional, and for a time that is what they were, but that time has now passed. That was Russ' musings while he cast runes.

How many other books from other legions in the HH say something similar about their own legion.

The Wolves were not special snowflakes, but sometimes when you have to go up against something dreadful/ maleficarum, you need to build yourself up, which is wha the Wolves effectively would do, and remember the executioner thing? All show for Kasper Hawser, the spy in the Wolves midst.

As for loss of control, maybe Russ did, can't argue the point so I will conceded it, especially as I do not have the book here with me. Thing was even if Russ did lose it, and even if he was beaten to the ground by Angron, if it the wolves were being killed, they held discipline. Enough that they created a killzone around Angron, because being in control means focusing on the mission at hand. The Wolves kept composure where the Eaters went rabid and lost all discipline and reason.

Another example would be the Quietude. Would the Eaters have known to ataack with stealth and switch tactics, being adaptable but deadly? Would they have been restrained enough not to completely destroy the control room on the sphere which the mech guys wanted for research? I highly doubt it.

Would the Eaters have gone in full frontal assault, and took horrendous casualties before ripping the guts out of the Space Station rendering it useless to anyone? 

Would the Eaters have communicated or shown the tactical acumen with the Army command and requested complete control of a theatre of war? Would the Eaters have allowed the army to retreat before crashing the sphere into the Quietude World? Again I highly doubt it.

Would the Eaters even have had the smarts to crash the Sphere or would they be pounding n the ice with bloodied knuckles??

Remember the Eaters are the ones who made a ram out of corpses (cant remember if it was of Eater corpses to gain entry to the walled citadel in the campaign they fought with the Ultramarines, and then left the place a charnel house, so bad Guillemann wanted Angron censured. Scary. Hell yeah, Wasteful. Hell yeah. Brutal. Hell to the yes Controlled or a reasoned tactic? Highly dubious.... Eater deserve the reputation of the most savage brutal killers, but the Wolves are the more chilling because even though battle lust burns in them they are cold and calculating

How many times in real life have we all done something similar, faced down a fear by telling ourselves we are bigger or badder, or that the thing which we fear is not that big of a deal?

If it's calculated atrocity and monstrous acts you want, I'm sure the Wolves can be quite frightening in a cold, controlled, way...but they still have to take second place there as well, the gold in that event goes to the sons of the sunless world, standing in midnight clad as they bring the night, Ave Dominus Nox, the Legio Astartes VIII Cognomen "Lords of the Night".

Archived