The Beast Arises

Vorenus

Awesome, 

Finished Predator Prey by Rob Sanders in the Far East and I didn't think I'd ever say it, but it was even better than I Am Slaughter. Looking forward to another instalment.

Awesome to hear that! Do you have any examples of your favorite characters, scenes, etc.? We have a spoiler button on here so that's nice.

I'm going back through it again in prep to cover it on the podcast and I really appreciate the politics, assassin and ecclesiarchy. (no spoilers there, just some characters we already know are in the book)

Second book are much better than the first. I never thought I would say this - but Sanders wrote a better novel than ABNETT!!!!!! furious.gif

a different novel, I would question if it was a better novel.

Sanders had the benefit of playing in a sandbox that was already prepped. The toys were there, the sand was clean (or as clean as sand can be) and the groundwork for a gnarly castle was already laid.

Abnett had none of those, and had to both create a different setting in an (loosely) established lore.

but for my favorite part of Predator, Prey

the brieft flight of the F.E.'s fortress and the slaughter of the Orks. I had this mental image of the orks falling by the hundreds while the Marines calmly gunned them down

WLK

Awesome, 

Finished Predator Prey by Rob Sanders in the Far East and I didn't think I'd ever say it, but it was even better than I Am Slaughter. Looking forward to another instalment.

Awesome to hear that! Do you have any examples of your favorite characters, scenes, etc.? We have a spoiler button on here so that's nice.

I'm going back through it again in prep to cover it on the podcast and I really appreciate the politics, assassin and ecclesiarchy. (no spoilers there, just some characters we already know are in the book)

As noted above, Sanders gets to play with the sandbox which Abnett initiates but here are some highlights for me:

• The creation of the Fists Exemplar, an entirely new Second Founding chapter who reside in a star fort that has crash landed on a planet!
  • An amazing bit where said star fort starts spinning on the ground to shake off thousand's of Orks as the FE clamp themselves to the fort's surface
  • Sander's exploration of 32nd Millennium Imperial politics was  intriguing, creating a convincing reason why the Orks are not treated as seriously as they should be;
  • The character development of the Black Templar's Marshal, and in particular the scene where he convinces the remaining FE captain to retreat corewards
  • ... and of course, writing about Orks as the grave threat they actually are/

I too, am thoroughly enjoying the series.

Also totally called it

Slaughter surviving and will totes rebuild the Fists. If BT and FE plot is to pseudo-reunite the Legion to form a coherent Astartes force capable of actually resisting the Swinekin

Also dat grimdark

All that development of the Captain, only for her to detonate the virus bombs! Arg such grimdark, very 32k, such wow

Also dat politicking

High Lords are dicks.

I too, am thoroughly enjoying the series.

Also totally called it

Slaughter surviving and will totes rebuild the Fists. If BT and FE plot is to pseudo-reunite the Legion to form a coherent Astartes force capable of actually resisting the Swinekin

Well, you were at least the second person to call it biggrin.png msn-wink.gif rolleyes.gif ph34r.png ph34r.png ph34r.png

On the larger topic, though, now that I've finished the full second book: I'm definitely motivated to keep going, which has to be called some kind of accomplishment given that's the point of a series of books, and an interest many have lost with respect to HH.

You definitely will root for Vangorich, that's for sure. Inquisition in this era is not as powerful as its current incarnation. The rivalry between all branches of Imperium is always fun to write and read. While High Lords are busy politcking, the Inquisition is trying to manipulate the situation. 

Just finished the audio a few days ago...And left my go to laptop at a friends house and will not be able to listen to it again for a few weeks. 

Overall, really enjoyed IAS. Loved the writing regarding everything going on at Terra. I think Abnett has a particular skill at giving his audience a very concrete feeling that the Imperium is big. Much bigger than just space marines. I thought the Fists were written quite well. I can certainly relate to many Fister Fans lamenting that they got so heavily handed a death sentence, but I thought Abnett did a great job of relaying just how messed up/near apocalyptic things on Ardamantua were getting. I really felt for the Fists losing so much, but I also had the distinct impression that such a calamity would befall any other chapter, such was the scale and mystery of everything going on. Hell, it took Foreeeeeeeeeeever for the Orks to be revealed! Which in my opinion really helped to give me the sense of confusion that the Fists must have been coping with. 

One thing I was left unclear with, however, was Just when did the bulk of the Fists actually perish? Mostly in orbit, I took it, but I cannot recall a moment of singular, large scale loss. Again, I wont be able to revisit it for a while, but if anyone could refresh my memory, or elucidate an episode I was clearly not understanding as much as I should have been? 

From the first two books I have really been enjoying this series. I think predator prey benefited from not needing to do the world building I am slaughter needed to introduce the new setting.

This series definitely has a larger, pan galactic feel to the threat than most BL books.

Getting to learn about more 2nd founding IF successors is great, I don't think I have hard of the Fists Exemplars or Excoriators before.

Plus from the preview of book 3 it's looking like Fists fans have a lot to look forward too :)

From the first two books I have really been enjoying this series. I think predator prey benefited from not needing to do the world building I am slaughter needed to introduce the new setting.

This series definitely has a larger, pan galactic feel to the threat than most BL books.

Getting to learn about more 2nd founding IF successors is great, I don't think I have hard of the Fists Exemplars or Excoriators before.

Plus from the preview of book 3 it's looking like Fists fans have a lot to look forward too :)

Agreed. We will find out in 10 days (book 3 ebook/audio). Loving the cover art as well.

Excoriators were well detailed in the novel, "Legion of the Damned" which I thought was excellent.

Reading the first book now, and glory, I love it.

It's certainly not perfect, the whole wall name thing can go die in a tire fire, but the action and the politics are very neatly balanced and interesting. I'm especially loving the set up being made with Vangorich's character, linking the two vague Codex entries of the Beast and the Beheading together.

Admittedly though, it's not as if any other Chapter would have fared better.

While very true, it'd just be nice if for once it was any other chapter getting treated like a speedbump and not the Imperial Fists.

@Reldn - At least the IF didn't lose their Primarch and 1st Company and then have everyone say that their legion was shattered all the way into 40K!

Yeah Dorn is still alive and kicking. At least Ferrus was killed by a primarch. Dorn was mobbed down. Awesome. And now they got extinct. A sucessor chapter will take their place just for political reasons.

Its like having a neat armani counterfeit suit.

While very true, it'd just be nice if for once it was any other chapter getting treated like a speedbump and not the Imperial Fists.

@Reldn - At least the IF didn't lose their Primarch and 1st Company and then have everyone say that their legion was shattered all the way into 40K!

Honestly? I'd have preferred that to extinction and having a successor chapter end up stepping in. At least the Iron Hands survived into 40k.

Honestly? I'd have preferred that to extinction and having a successor chapter end up stepping in. At least the Iron Hands survived into 40k.

Clan Raukaan supplement says differently.

I have finished to listen to the audiobook "I am Slaughter" and I must say that I already like the series. I will have to devour the book before I can make a proper review but so far the stage set by the author is both apocalyptic and epic, in true 40k fashion. Now some begrudge the Imperial Fists being reduced to scraps yet I on the other hand find this reason alone a good point in the book. Not only this adds gravitas to the series but also adds drama to the events in the Imperial court. I must also say that I love the politics scenes and I can't wait to read more about the Master of Assassins. He is a character which struck the right chords in my heart and I really wish to learn more about him, his rise to power and his Machiavellian plots behind the scenes. If nothing else he is an awesome chess player and he is careful enough to move his pieces, slowly but with great end results. 

So far I rate "I am Slaughter" a healthy 7/10 but this is according to my listening of the audiobook. I will come back with a proper review once I have the real book in my hands. 

Archived