The Beast Arises

Vorenus

So according to the new post in the Warhammer App today, they really do find THE Vulkan alive in "The Hunt For Vulkan". Of course, apparently he dies in the very next book (Book 8, The Beast Must Die), since the blurbs for the Deathwatch book (book 9) talk about how the entire army got slaughtered in the previous novel.

Not sure at all how I feel about bringing Vulkan back if he is just going to die a book later.

The Ork Attack moon over Terra turns out to be the Beast's way of sending a parley. Ork ambassador asks for HLoT surrender at the end, while they scream and blabber incoherently. ork says

‘Useless,’ Bezhrak said. ‘Worse than snotlings.’ He looked at his fellows. ‘No reasoning with humans. Break ’em, kill ’em, eat ’em. That’s good. Don’t try to make ’em think. Can’t be done.’ He shrugged. He turned back to the High Lords. ‘Want to die, then? Last chance.’

hilarity ensues

The last wall - 3 out of 5. The book about nothing. All it did - has shown awesomness of orcs and total imcompetence of High Lords and Imperium. To have full story you need to read book 1 and 3 and totally could skip book 2 and 4 biggrin.png

The Ork Attack moon over Terra turns out to be the Beast's way of sending a parley. Ork ambassador asks for HLoT surrender at the end, while they scream and blabber incoherently. ork says

‘Useless,’ Bezhrak said. ‘Worse than snotlings.’ He looked at his fellows. ‘No reasoning with humans. Break ’em, kill ’em, eat ’em. That’s good. Don’t try to make ’em think. Can’t be done.’ He shrugged. He turned back to the High Lords. ‘Want to die, then? Last chance.’

hilarity ensues

What an odd turn of events. Seems very un-orky. Perhaps an ork as big as a hab-block might almost have a brain big enough to think somewhat rationally?

The last wall - 3 out of 5. The book about nothing. All it did - has shown awesomness of orcs and total imcompetence of High Lords and Imperium. To have full story you need to read book 1 and 3 and totally could skip book 2 and 4 biggrin.png

Yeah, but I feel like that is the story arc for TBA. It's almost less about the Beast itself, and a lot more about how the juggernaut of the Imperium gets going again after the end of the Scouring/fending off the 1st BC. I mean, yeah, the clock is permanently stuck at 5 before midnight etc etc in current 40k (and a lot of that has to do with the fact that communication between Pacificus and everyone else is shoddy at best) but humanity's still launching various crusades to retake areas of space, dealing with major internal problems (hi Warzone Fenris), dealing with the Tyranids, and holding off the biggest BC yet at Cadia. IMO there's no way post Scouring/pre TBA Imperium does any of that, they're too complacent.

Finally finished The Last Wall. Another brilliant story in this well planned series with a definite release date. Lots of unexpected things happening between the various plots so all good in my opinion.

Roll on Throneworld next month!

Yeah the ending as one hell of a cliff hangar.

If anything, orks are unsuceptible to Chaos... so would a Greenskin filled galaxy mean the Chaos Gods are defeated? If so, we know whose side they're on!

I remain perplexed by just how poorly defended Terra is. I get the Imperial Fists got asploded, I get that the Coreward and Rimward fleets are mobilised at Port Sanctus but it just doesn't click with me that there are no defences. Unless they had others unmentioned, they have maybe 5 Imperial Guard Regiments. The number of Guardsmen in that number seems to wildly fluctuate per Regiment so even if they averaged at 10,000 we're talking 50,000 or if they were one of those weird mega-huge regiments of 50,000 we're only talking 250,000.

I would expect there to be multiple armies guarding Terra, numbering at least a million or a couple million. I doubt the surface to void weapons they have are capable of killing a moon but the lack of ships is also baffling. I get you need to take the fight to the orks, but you always leave guardian forces at your important places. The fluff of 40k shows getting into Terra requires you to run a gauntlett of battleships, gun platforms, minefields over and over from Plut to Mars before you even get to Terra.

I guess the events of this series and maybe others turns the Imperium into the "only war" Imperium we're familiar with but the level of complacency is almost too unbelievable. The part where it described the Imperial Navy as not having enough ships to run down ships abandoning their posts. Sure the Mechanicum eventually snaffled them but..dang.

Yeah the ending as one hell of a cliff hangar.

If anything, orks are unsuceptible to Chaos... so would a Greenskin filled galaxy mean the Chaos Gods are defeated? If so, we know whose side they're on!

I remain perplexed by just how poorly defended Terra is. I get the Imperial Fists got asploded, I get that the Coreward and Rimward fleets are mobilised at Port Sanctus but it just doesn't click with me that there are no defences. Unless they had others unmentioned, they have maybe 5 Imperial Guard Regiments. The number of Guardsmen in that number seems to wildly fluctuate per Regiment so even if they averaged at 10,000 we're talking 50,000 or if they were one of those weird mega-huge regiments of 50,000 we're only talking 250,000.

I would expect there to be multiple armies guarding Terra, numbering at least a million or a couple million. I doubt the surface to void weapons they have are capable of killing a moon but the lack of ships is also baffling. I get you need to take the fight to the orks, but you always leave guardian forces at your important places. The fluff of 40k shows getting into Terra requires you to run a gauntlett of battleships, gun platforms, minefields over and over from Plut to Mars before you even get to Terra.

I guess the events of this series and maybe others turns the Imperium into the "only war" Imperium we're familiar with but the level of complacency is almost too unbelievable. The part where it described the Imperial Navy as not having enough ships to run down ships abandoning their posts. Sure the Mechanicum eventually snaffled them but..dang.

This was probably the kick in the butt that the Imperium needed to go from incompetent to hypercompetent in terms of defending their home system. I mean, even now, the entire reason for the (failed) Proletarian Crusade was damn near wholly politically motivated maneuvering by Juskina Tull. 

I feel like the Custodes would be the main body of defense forces for the Palace itself, rather than any attacking force. It is odd that we haven't seen the Captain General  yet, but IMO not too out of place, as there wouldn't necessarily be a place for him on the HLoT, not in this Imperium. Other than that, they'd have to be background forces, not important enough in the political grand scheme of (current) things to show up at these big meetings/briefings.

I feel like the Custodes would be the main body of defense forces for the Palace itself, rather than any attacking force. It is odd that we haven't seen the Captain General  yet, but IMO not too out of place, as there wouldn't necessarily be a place for him on the HLoT, not in this Imperium. Other than that, they'd have to be background forces, not important enough in the political grand scheme of (current) things to show up at these big meetings/briefings.

I would normally agree with that 1000%...until a freaking Ork Moon pops itself into orbit. 

then its time for a little proactive defense.

Archived