Thousand Sons and Sons of Horus

Archidamus

To stop myself from perpetually updating my thread in the age of darkness sub-forum I've decided to make this new thread. This is just so I can post additional smaller updates as well as bigger things. Since i've not got around to basing everything yet most of my Thousand Sons are still pretty much WIP.

+++

Thaeron stood immobile on the bridge of the Hyperion. He watched and listened to the bridge crew as they relayed system scans, expeditionary fleet locations, and current supply situations. Thaeron took all the information in. Though he wasn't listening for anything in particular yet. It had been six months since his argument with Magnus. They'd both decided it would be best to allow Thaeron's 9th company to assist the forgotten forces of the 2101st expeditionary fleet. In essence Magnus had exiled him until the 2101st could make significant progress in aiding the Great Crusade.

Thaeron shook himself out of his introspection as he heard the same phrase being echoed through the reports. No he thought, not a phrase. A name. Greenskins. At last they'd found the 2101st fleet's next target. After the heavy fighting against the Husklords and their so called 'dust phantoms' Thaeron looked forward to fighting mindless beasts rather than sophisticated artificial intelligence controlling a lesser strain of humanity. The Cybernetica elements had greatly appreciated that he allowed them to the husk scraps his warriors left. He should not have let them take the husk remains. But the Legio Cybernetica were powerful allies so it helped to give them something to secure their allegiance to the Legion.

He shook his head and activated a fleet wide vox channel. "This is Captain Thaeron to all forces of the 2101st expeditionary fleet. Prepare for immediate combat operations. We have the Ork scum in our sights. In the name of the Emperor and Magnus we shall annihilate them! Thaeron out."

+++

Pictures! biggrin.png

Sergeant Arkanis

Arkanis Front

Arkanis Side

Arkanis' Squad members

+++

The heavens were weeping. Crimson skinned drop pods shattered the skies. The primitive anti-aircraft batteries below put up a pitiful torrent of flak. Their lack of logic engines made the task of shooting down the pods nigh on impossible. At best they’d scratch the ceramite hulls. The skies flashed as incandescent beams shot between the pods with pinpoint accuracy and smashed into the ground. The Hyperion the XVth Legion’s principle strike cruisier was blessed with the accuracy of Magnus himself. Its lance strikes always hit their mark.

In truth it was those members of the Athanaeans and Corvidae cults that made such precise bombardments possible. Despite the grumblings that Thaeron had some adverse dislike of the Legions powers, it had never stopped him from utilising them to support his brothers. As long as his warriors used their powers as a secondary means to their bolter and chainsword he was content to let them use their gifts at their own discretions.

9th company’s drop pods meteoric descent was almost complete. Stormbird dropships and the newly created Thunderhawk gunships and transports blasted from the Hyperion’s launch bays. They had been timed to arrive once the Thousand Sons assault force had created a beachhead. It would be then that the army elements and Legio Cybernetica would take to the field. Legio Astorum’s demi maniple would remain in orbit until a suitable landing area could be found for them.

Thaeron’s drop pod crashed into the earth shattering the rudimentary barricades of the greenskins he’d been searching for. The explosive bolts fired and the assault ramps dropped. The dust had yet to settle but Thaeron was already on the move, his veterans following close behind. He snapped up his bolter and gunned down a trio of greenskins still dazed from the impact. His squad likewise killed any greenskins still alive and placing precautionary rounds or blades in those who appeared to be dead.

Around him the rest of his strike force was landing. His squad from the Scarab Occult moved swiftly into cover setting up alongside him. “A good start captain.” Thaeron nodded, “Indeed it is Metjen. Deployment status?” Metjen quickly consulted the information scrolling down his visor feed. “Eighty-five percent complete. Some hard points are still operational just ahead of us.” They both peered over the top of the shattered barricade. The bunkers were only just visible through the debris and dust but Thaeron could see the tracer fire and muzzle flashes of crude Ork guns. “We have our next target sergeant. We’re taking out that bunker before Jadus and Kthophis’ forces reach the ground.”

+++
Centurion

Destroyer Marine

+++

“Artemisia! Bring the Hyperion into drop position, we need immediate support!” Thaeron hacked his sword through another of the heavily armoured Orks. They stood as tall as a legionary in terminator plate. The Ork wailed but still didn’t go down. “Throne of Terra! Just die already!” Thaeron bellowed the curse. His squad was faring no better. Two brothers were dead, cut to pieces by massive Ork claws. Three were wounded but still fending for themselves. His vox crackled it wasn’t his ship’s captain. Metjen panted as he spoke, “Sir where’s our support?!” Thaeron grunted swinging his blade around and firing his volkite serpenta into the Ork’s face. Its face was replaced by a compact hole as the beam punched out the other side of its custom heavy armour. “I don’t know Metjen.”

He scanned around to locate the sergeant. He was only a few paces away. Thaeron moved towards him but instead was knocked to the ground by another mega armoured Ork. The landing was hard and he was sure he’d broken a rib or two. He grunted spitting blood onto the ground, his helm long discarded due to extensive damage. He snarled as he looked up at the Ork, “Obsidian protocol authorised.” A string of conformations sounded in his ear. Thaeron roared snatching a claw hand up at the Ork. The beast was lifted into the air. It struggled as its tiny mind tried to comprehend what was happening. It stopped when it heard laughter. Turning its head slightly it looked at Thaeron. He was laughing as he plucked the Ork from the ground.

They made eye contact and that’s when the screaming started. Thaeron turned his claw into a fist. The heavy armour of the Ork was turned against it. Thaeron crumbled and compressed the armour on the beast. Blood spat out of wounds, sparks flew from its primitive motor. He forced the rivets and bolts deep into its flesh. He heard the flesh ripping, blood vessels bursting. The sound of bone cracking as the pressure grew tenfold on the Ork’s skull. At last he stopped laughing at what he was doing. He stopped to utter two words. “For Magnus.” Thaeron spat them at the Ork in its final moments. He closed his hand fully crushing it all into a compact mess of flesh, metal, and blood.

+++

Scarab Occult veteran

Contemptor Rahotep

• 2 months later...

Been awhile since I've posted in this thread (too long). But having seen brother Athrawes' lovely metallic Thousand Sons, I decided to revisit my own.

I've been toying with the idea of making the current armour brighter and less dark than its current incarnation (much like the aforementioned metallic scheme). But I'm not 100% sold on it yet so I'd like some brother and sisterly feedback. 

Not the most well lit pictures (it is raining today, yes that's my excuse)

On the left we have my current model for Centurion Kthophis (whom you can see in the current scheme in the above post). He is in the new test scheme which is a layer of evil sunz scarlet over the mephiston red base. 

The right is Sergeant Arkanis in the current scheme with a new white bolter case. 

Khtophis & Arkanis

Khtophis

Arkanis

I'd like your opinions on the red armour itself as everything else such as highlights and re-painting bolter cases is still being done. 

Thanks for looking. 

Lovin' It!

I actually like both reds you have achieved. However, the brighter red on the centurion is my favorite. It is brighter and steers away from the darker red the XVII get. I also like that you are going with this red instead of the metallic. The scheme shown recently by FW is great but I love seeing the Thousand Sons the way you painted them.

Lovin' It!

I actually like both reds you have achieved. However, the brighter red on the centurion is my favorite. It is brighter and steers away from the darker red the XVII get. I also like that you are going with this red instead of the metallic. The scheme shown recently by FW is great but I love seeing the Thousand Sons the way you painted them.

Cheers man. I've painted up another marine in the brighter scheme (seen below) hopefully you'll like him also.

Metallics are all the rage at the moment. The FW scheme is very good, but don't sells yours short. I'd be happy with either myself.

Thanks, though I've leant more to the brighter scheme now so they don't look some much like Word Bearers.

Mk 2 marine front

Brother Setrah on the plains of Nautica during compliance operations. Blast damage to the left knee pad indicates Brother Setrah partook in the initial beachhead assault, some weeks before the arrival of the VI legion.

Mk 2 marine front close

Mark II pattern armour had been all but phased out of the XVth legion. Only Terran legionaries continued to wear it in combat operations. In many cases the personal modifications and artifices made it superior to later marks.

Mk 2 marine right knee

Squad markings indicate Brother Setrah is a member of the 2nd squad of the Cohort of Shattered Stars.

• 2 weeks later...

Last night I was intending to get my Thousand Sons upgrade kit all painted up and ready for the B@C stuff I'll be splitting next week or so with a friend. For some reason instead I decided to finish painting the Primarch of the 3rd Legion. He's very much far from finished he needs a few touch ups and additional highlights and his base needs finishing.

But here is a rough and ready Fulgrim the Illuminator picture just for you guys.

med_gallery_88327_11704_224759.jpg

I had been intending to use his Volkite charger for my eventual Thaeron model, you know because CHOOOOOM!

I feel your Thousand Sons look better with white weapon casings and pauldron trims. I also like sergeant Arkanis' white and blue helmet crest.

They're certainly much more eye catching with the white trimmings and weapon cases. Arkanis' crest was very much trying to utilise colours that worked well with theme of the Legion, the blue was a nicer contrast than the purple alternative I was considering. He's always the first one my eye comes to when I look at the army thus far.

Since then I finished him fully. I decided to keep the gold trim, though I'm unsure if I'll continue to use it to denote sergeants.

I did post this completed version of him in my AoD thread (including a few lines of his fluff) but it's a bit easier to post him in here as well.

med_gallery_88327_11336_96234.jpg

The Thousand Sons are still looking sharp! Also nice to see Lord Fulgrim pop into the mix.

Thanks! I've had Fulgrim since sometime last year and never really got around to finishing him as my paint supplies were running out.Figured I should get down on my Primarch painting skills for when Magnus graces us with his presence. I finished adding the last few touch-ups to Fulgrim himself last night. Now I'm just working on his base.

Archived