All BA, all the way. 1850 Tournament

Morticon

Why wont you try Cassor the Damned? He's a dc dreadnought which can be taken as a troops choice

I have the slots, which is fine.  He's pricier, with no overall bonus beyond being a Troop.  

If you were to stick with the CAD and really wanted a Death Company Dreadnought then it could work.

If you opt for the FTSF + CAD then no. I'd only go for the FTSF if you want the Furioso Librarian Dreadnought. If not, then don't as you'll need need a Troops choice (and thus one less Objective Secured Tactical and Razorback).

If you want a Fragioso (or for some reason the dual fist Dreadnought) then a plain CAD might be better.

To expand, you're looking at something like:

Combined Arms Detachment (Primary Detachment)

Chaplain - auspex, veritas  - Warlord

Furioso Librarian Dreadnought

Damocles Rhino

5x TAC - HF

Razor - TLPG/LC

5x TAC - HF

Razor - TLPG/LC

1x Storm Raven - Extra armour, TLMM, TLAC

1x Sicaran Battle Tank

1x Scorpius Whirlwind - ignore cover legacy

Flesh Tearers Strike Force (Secondary Detachment)

Mephiston

5x TAC - HF

Razor - TLPG/LC

4x Bikers + Attack Bike - 1 GG, 1MG, 1xCmbi-Grav, MM, MB

4x Bikers + Attack Bike - 2 GG, MM, MB

You just need to find fifteen points from somewhere

... and a copy of the rules for the FTSF...

Speaking of which, what is the rulepack for the tournament? Are naughty copies of the rules permitted?

Why wont you try Cassor the Damned? He's a dc dreadnought which can be taken as a troops choice

I have the slots, which is fine. He's pricier, with no overall bonus beyond being a Troop.

He's a character too. Handy for hidden powerfists/meltabombs/powerklaws/etc on Sergeants/Nobs.

We dont have any restrictions on where we get the rules from- provided we have them. So, i'm free to play anything provided i have the models :)

He's a character too. Handy for hidden powerfists/meltabombs/powerklaws/etc on Sergeants/Nobs.

Missed that.  I quite like.

Depending on the mission format i'd drop one las/plas razor in favor of 10 scouts. Since you are running vertias plus CAD, the scouts will often have 2+ go to ground in ruins which is amazing in both progression and eternal war missions. You can combat squad and put 5 with Meph and Chaplain (or all 10, raven is 12 capacity i think?) or infiltrate them on relic for turn 1 dragging or outflank if there are objectives close to table edges. It's less kill points as well when needed. They can also split off when disembarking from Raven to for example eat overwatches from Wraithguard with the d-flameres so Meph can get in safely. And vs  certain other armies serve as good ablaitive wounds for Meph.

It frees up 50ish points and gives you many different options during deployment. 

Spellwise, role on Sanguinary and Malefic. Opt for Quickening and Summoning. Trade HP for a unit of Daemonettes, Deep strike them on/near an Objective and laugh hysterically laugh.png

HERESY! Let the flames of inquisition burn your post! smile.png

Depending on the mission format i'd drop one las/plas razor in favor of 10 scouts. Since you are running vertias plus CAD, the scouts will often have 2+ go to ground in ruins which is amazing in both progression and eternal war missions. You can combat squad and put 5 with Meph and Chaplain (or all 10, raven is 12 capacity i think?) or infiltrate them on relic for turn 1 dragging or outflank if there are objectives close to table edges. It's less kill points as well when needed. They can also split off when disembarking from Raven to for example eat overwatches from Wraithguard with the d-flameres so Meph can get in safely. And vs certain other armies serve as good ablaitive wounds for Meph.

It frees up 50ish points and gives you many different options during deployment.

On the other hand, having new tau formation around , that have no problem with ignore cover, monster hunter etc., I dont think you can benefit as much from 2+ cover anymore. I would rather think about some relic jump pack to counter over watch/ interceptor and tie them in CC

Or some Raven guard formations to get 3x10 minimal VV's into the list to tie up all the gun lines, however I know you want to have pure BA

That's now gotten me thinking about a CAD+Baal SF.  :/ 

If i didnt need the bikes (for grav) as much as i do, i think id go there.  The init boost for meph would be so good.  

2 las plas and 2 5x scouts would fill the CAD+BSF nicely, but why is the BSF so important for Meph? He already strikes and i5 and can do quickening if it's important with more. 

Edit:

@BloodTzar Scouts and other small footprint units when on objectives are still quite easy to hide (Line of Sight) which Tau only can solve with moving forward. But that's also true for las plas tactials, if/when the transport get wrecked they can usually disembark out of los.

was thinking it would be one less power needing to be cast.  Wraithknights fight at init5, so id prefer to kill it before it kills me!

Ah very true, especially with Libby Dread as you only need one quickening for the dread and none for Meph.  Are you worried about the Raven being a big single point of failure? Even vs lists with no AA it's not that difficult to kill it in one round at 1850 points. 

Another suggestion could be to drop the chaplain and Meph, take 5 SS//TH termies and a priest with veritas, they should be able to take out a WK too, but more durable if the Raven is shot down (3++), or if your left out in the open post close combat. It should be similar point wise and requires no BSF or powers to go off. 

Edit: The drawback is getting unlucky on stomps since they strike at init1, the plus is more durability overall. 

was thinking it would be one less power needing to be cast.  Wraithknights fight at init5, so id prefer to kill it before it kills me!

Ah very true, especially with Libby Dread as you only need one quickening for the dread and none for Meph.  Are you worried about the Raven being a big single point of failure? Even vs lists with no AA it's not that difficult to kill it in one round at 1850 points. 

Another suggestion could be to drop the chaplain and Meph, take 5 SS//TH termies and a priest with veritas, they should be able to take out a WK too, but more durable if the Raven is shot down (3++), or if your left out in the open post close combat. It should be similar point wise and requires no BSF or powers to go off. 

If he drops the Chaplain he has to drop either his Sicaran or his Scorpius.

Absolutely second this, however I would suggest never leave home with just one flier ... Raven and Raptor is the way :)

I have the slots, which is fine. He's pricier, with no overall bonus beyond being a Troop.

How does this help?

How does this help?

Say you're facing a Ork Boy mob, where the Nob has a Powerklaw. For a non-character dreadnought, he'll have to munch through all the boys before he could hit the powerklaw Nob, all the while the Nob is wailing on the dreadnought, most likely meeting its demise well before it chews through the boys.

A character dreadnought however, can simply issue a challenge against the Ork Boys. Either the Ork player accepts and you most likely smear the Ork Nob into red paste as you strike at a higher initiative, or he declines the challenge and you make the powerklaw nob forfeit its attacks.

How does this help?

Say you're facing a Ork Boy mob, where the Nob has a Powerklaw. For a non-character dreadnought, he'll have to munch through all the boys before he could hit the powerklaw Nob, all the while the Nob is wailing on the dreadnought, most likely meeting its demise well before it chews through the boys.

A character dreadnought however, can simply issue a challenge against the Ork Boys. Either the Ork player accepts and you most likely smear the Ork Nob into red paste as you strike at a higher initiative, or he declines the challenge and you make the powerklaw nob forfeit its attacks.

Damn that's.. Wow.. Cassor, I'm building you as soon as my magna grapple bits order comes in.

Okay guys, there's been a huge change of plans :/ 

Turns out one of the top local players is also making the trip up country - you may know him - Sid. (Mousefilter) on here. 

Basically Sid plays a 3 Wraithknight List. He's going to rock 3 farseers, 5 warlocks, 9 scatter bikes and 3 knights. 

I wil playtest him next week, but I dont believe I have what it takes in this list to beat him.

This means a huge restructuring.  I'd still like to go BA core, but some things will need to change.  

Looking at this:

Chaplain - veritas, auspex

Furioso - Frag Cannon 
Pod

5x ASM - flmr

Razor - las/plas

5x ASM - flmr

Razor - las/plas

5x ASM - flmr

Razor - las/plas

Sicaran 

Scorpius - ignore cover legacy

SKY HAMMER

5x ASM - Vet - maul, Evis
5x ASM - Vet - maul, Evis

10x DEV - 4x Grav

Pod
5x DEV - 2x Grav,2MM

Pod

Basically, i cant really rock a solid BA core without the mass grav support.  I need the dread in for hounds and daemons - actually weaker against general lists now, but solid vs. a range of other things.  

Thoughts here?  Stick to previous?

(such a pity because I was looking forward to that other one!) 

I am guessing ASM in the BA are Tacs and not assault Marines?

I don't blame you though, best to meet awful cheese with awful cheese

old habit! yes, tacs of course ^_^ 

And i was SO looking forward to playing that list <_< Will playtest vs sid next week anyway- see how it goes.  But, i'm not convinced it will have what it takes.

Archived