Iron Warriors 2k PTL

exsanguis

Hey guys,

I think I may have finally settled on the glorious IV Legion as my legion of choice! I already have the models to do the following and was wondering how people think it would compete against mainly 40k armies (Blood Angels, IG, Tau, Dark Eldar mainly):

HQ

Praetor

Cataphractii Armour, Combi-melta, Power Weapon, Void Shield Harness, Pride of the Legion

TROOPS

Tyrant Siege Terminators x5

1x Chainfist

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad x10

AA, 2x Plasma Guns, Vexilla, Rhino, Sniper

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad x10

AA, 2x Plasma Guns, Vexilla, Rhino, Sniper

ELITES

Contemptor-Mortis

2x Twin-linked Lascannons

Rapier Weapons Battery x3

3x Laser Destroyer Array

HEAVY SUPPORT

Iron Havocs x5

5x Autocannons

Sicaran Battle Tank

Lascannon Sponsons, Armoured Ceramite

Deredeo Dreadnought

Aiolos Missile Launcher, Anvilus Autocannons

Total: 1995

The Praetor goes with the Tyrants and wanders up the board spewing missiles in support of the Vets who want to camp an objective or hide behind their Rhino.

I would be hoping to expand this to 2.5k with my Fellblade, and perhaps on to 3k by adding in more Tyrants and fleshing out the Iron Havocs. I also have access to a Fire Raptor as well which can be substituted in for the Deredeo or Sicaran.

Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

A little late to the show, but why plasma in the vet squads? They have sniper, go for heavy bolters and heavy flamers for mass wound rolls. Yeah you get garrunteed AP2 wounds with plasma but you also only have two shots and a chance to burn yourself in the process. A drive by with a pair of heavy flamers against a mob of guys hugging cover gets you a few more wounds.

Iron Havocs are for popping transports and dreads I guess? I gave mine missile launchers so I have a lot of krak in my army. Just provides a good utility weapon but ACs are pretty good too.

Not a fan of rapiers, they are too crutchy, everyone has them. I think you need more boots on the ground.

I second needing more boots on the ground. You've got an abundance of anti tank, in particular stuff that can take down fliers. You really don't need a deredeo and mortis dread geared up to turn the first fliers that shows into a fireball. If you really want to keep the mortis, I'd go assault cannons as that's better for taking on troops, but I'd recommend replacing the contemptor and taking more bodies, possible another veteran squad. Sniper is a great loadout, just as Galron mentioned plasma is not the best match up for them. 

Also not sure about how well footslogging tyrants is going to work. They are a cool unit with some scary firepower, but given just how many missile shots they get they are going to be targeted by pretty much everything that can see them, and once they die there goes your warlord. It's certainly hard to fit a spartan into 2k, but I'd consider it, if you drop the sicaran and mortis you can fit it in. 

I second needing more boots on the ground. You've got an abundance of anti tank, in particular stuff that can take down fliers. You really don't need a deredeo and mortis dread geared up to turn the first fliers that shows into a fireball. If you really want to keep the mortis, I'd go assault cannons as that's better for taking on troops, but I'd recommend replacing the contemptor and taking more bodies, possible another veteran squad. Sniper is a great loadout, just as Galron mentioned plasma is not the best match up for them. 

Also not sure about how well footslogging tyrants is going to work. They are a cool unit with some scary firepower, but given just how many missile shots they get they are going to be targeted by pretty much everything that can see them, and once they die there goes your warlord. It's certainly hard to fit a spartan into 2k, but I'd consider it, if you drop the sicaran and mortis you can fit it in. 

But then the Tyrants spend turns hiding in the Land Raider like cowards and not shooting? :P 

Kind of a catch 22 on the Tyrants. Personally I have used them simply walking to an objective on my side of the table and turned them into a firebase. I made sure when I placed the objective it had good lanes of fire. Yeah they put out some missiles but quite a few things put out a lot of fire and a 2+/4++ is relatively resilient. The most I have ever lost out of 5 is 2. In my old list I simply had more important and easier things to take out when it came down to it and they were very effective at thinning the unit types that could drown them in armor saves. 10 frag blasts is painful even to marines. My havoks took much more fire and did a lot more overall(Kyr as a warlord, in a bastion, with the ammo and missile launchers). 

Archived