The Terrorborn: The VIII Legion

Soldier of Dorn

‘Nothing is forever. Empires fall, civilization crumbles into dust, all their glories forgotten. Not so fear. Fear changes a man. Fear stabs like a dagger into the collective soul of the human race. Only fear is eternal.’

- Unidentified Legionary, 52. Company "The Terrorborn", 8. Legion Astartes

Ave Dominus Nox, brothers and sisters of the most holy Bolter and Chainsword!

Like so many others, since the Betrayal at Calth box dropped last week, I've made the decision to build a Heresy-era army using its content as a core to get my army off the ground. As a commited Night Lord, though, there really was only one possible decision to make in regards as to the legion I would choose. So, armed with a single copy of BoC and two new boxes of Raptors, I dove straight into my bits box and started building a new version of my 40k Chaos Lord, Valaghurst Nyxanos. And this is what I've got so far.

http://i.imgur.com/BJ6IlHW.jpg?1

A very rough WIP to say the least, seeing as the entire upper body is entirely held together with poster tack, but I'm really excited about how he's coming along. I'll probably replace the torso with something else and then over the weekend I'll pick up some greenstuff to sculpt the rest of his hood. I don't know about his armament, but I'm probably either going with a paragon blade and archeotech pistol or dual lightning claws, I haven't decided yet.

Anyways, if you like how he's coming along, punch the like button in the face (always wanted to say that tongue.png)! Comments and criticism is appreciated, as ever. Hope to be posting again soonish msn-wink.gif.

Replies!

@Pearson73: Ever since I got the Putrid Blightkings I've wanted to use that head on a Night Lords mini, so yeah! Now I've finally done it! :D

@MrBear: The word is Praetor, brother. Though Valagurst's full title is Red Night, Lord Captain of the 52nd and Flay-king of the Terrorborn... ;)

@Black_out: You mistake me for fresh blood, brother. I'm a trueborn Son of the Sunless World, through and through ;)

@SalvationOfReason: I agree, I think twin lightning claws will look the best on him. But we'll see soon enough.

@the emperor is scottish, Biohazard, and hushrong: Thanks for the comments, guys. :D

• 2 months later...

Wow. It's been a while, huh. What with school and all, I kind of let the hobby be for a while, but I actually sat down and did some stuff today, and one of those was actually finishing my Praetor's build, so without further adieu,

http://i.imgur.com/cy5nagM.jpg?2

Unfortunately, I couldn't ever get the hooded head to sit right with the rest of the mini, so that had to go, but overall I'm really happy with him.

Thanks MrBear. I really tried to make the head work, but I just couldn't get the neck right, so all the proportions were off. I'm happy with this one though biggrin.png

I've started work on a Legion Veteran Squad, too. Here's the first bolter dude:

http://i.imgur.com/01PN3iy.jpg?3http://i.imgur.com/goCiXzo.jpg?4

More to come...

EDIT: Goddam mold... stuff furious.giffurious.giffurious.gif

I like the head of your preator, but isnt it a bit too mutated for a heresy era Nightlord? :-/

other than that I´m waiting to see where this is going to go smile.png

Probably (?), but it doesn't bother me too much tongue.png I'm not 100% happy with the model as a representation of the character, and he will be replaced someday, so I let it be. Besides, it looks cool biggrin.png

I like the head of your preator, but isnt it a bit too mutated for a heresy era Nightlord? :-/

other than that I´m waiting to see where this is going to go smile.png

Probably (?), but it doesn't bother me too much tongue.png I'm not 100% happy with the model as a representation of the character, and he will be replaced someday, so I let it be. Besides, it looks cool biggrin.png

In the end thats all that matters... Im no hardliner in fluff issues ;-)

Into the skinning pits with you! We're no banana-clad sons of dorn...

I came here for some glorious, stoic Seventh legionnaires. I'm currently at a loss with all this devious Eighth Legion malarkey. cry.gif

I kid. You may need to add an extra 'I' to the thread title, The Psycho. ;)

I came here for some glorious, stoic Seventh legionnaires. I'm currently at a loss with all this devious Eighth Legion malarkey. cry.gif

I kid. You may need to add an extra 'I' to the thread title, The Psycho. ;)

I'm suprised that the whole "Terrorborn" thing didn't confuzzle you either, Olis! ;)

Oh, and you might see some Fists from me sooner rather than later, I've got more than a few plans underway ;)

I kid. You may need to add an extra 'I' to the thread title, The Psycho. msn-wink.gif

I'm suprised that the whole "Terrorborn" thing didn't confuzzle you either, Olis! msn-wink.gif

What can I say? I'm used to ideas that are left of field for certain Legions. I blame Hyaenidae. :P

• 4 weeks later...

Update

Just a quick update, since I've been a bit distracted by other armies and school recently, but I did have time to build my Night Raptor Cadre, the Knives of Mhur'ash. In game, they'll serve as my Praetor Valaghurst Nyxanos's (who I'm painting right now for March of the Legions) retinue.

http://i.imgur.com/49QmtOT.jpg?2

I've also written a little 1,000 point army list based (mostly) on what I have. This'll be my goal to paint and build in the next three months or so. Only thing I'll have to pick up is a Baal Predator and blag a Knight melta off one of my buds.

Night Lords ‘Terrorborn’ 1000 points

Legion Crusade Army List, Night Lords, Rite of War: Pride of the Legion

HQ

Flaylord Valaghurst Nyxanos: 130 points

Legion Delegatus with artificer armor, pair of lightning claws, refractor field.

Troops

Terminator Cadre Prime, “The High Council of Severing”: 275 points

Cataphractii pattern Terminator armor. 4 Legion Terminators with pairs of lightning claws. Legion Terminator Sergeant with a pair of lightning claws, grenade harness.

Veteran Cadre Prime, “The Hollow Souls”: 250 points

Veteran Tactics: Sniper. 5 Legion Veterans. Legion Veteran with Legion Vexillla. Legion Veteran with nuncio-vox. Legion Veteran with flamer. Legion Veteran with heavy bolter. Legion Veteran Sergeant.

Fast Attack

Night Raptor Cadre, “The Knives of Mhur’ash”: 200 points

4 Night Raptors with power weapons. Huntmaster with power weapon.

Heavy Support

The Black Sun of the Endless Night: 140 points

Legion Predator Tank with magna-melta cannon, heavy flamers.

Total: 995 points

As always, commentary and criticism is deeply appreciated.

Ave Dominus Nox!

Waaaaaaaaait a bleedin' minute... so you're telling me that you've got a Night Lords project that you've been working on instead of progressing with your Imperial Fists and claiming that you "didn't have time"...? That is heresy most foul, brother.

But anyway, not a bad job on those Raptors. However I find that they look a bit too Chaos-y (and would recommend removing the Chaos star from that chainsword). I'm guessing these are post-Istvaan Night Lords? What I love about the Lord is that he looks like he's falling over onto a chair of some sort but still trying to look classy. :P Nah, jokes aside, he looks good. Just needs paint. ;)

Waaaaaaaaait a bleedin' minute... so you're telling me that you've got a Night Lords project that you've been working on instead of progressing with your Imperial Fists and claiming that you "didn't have time"...? That is heresy most foul, brother.

In principia, the usage of the word instead invokes a comparison of two mutually exclusive subjects, which isn't quite applicable in this scenario. I'm working on my Fists too (Sergeant Slade is getting paint!), I'm just not quite ready to show the work quite yet. Soon though, soon. ;) I've also got a couple boxes of BA Sanguinary Guard just waiting for me to turn them into BA Assault Marines. You are absolutely right about your last statement, though. I'm a heretic, born and bred. :P

You're probably right about the Raptors looking a bit too Chaotic, but I don't particularly mind. These dudes are supposed to be set at the Siege of Terra just like my other Heresy armies have been (What? My Fists need someone to fight) and by that point I'd imagine a lot of the corruption had set into the Traitor Legions. I will take a look at removing some of the Chaos iconography, though.

Psycho, that original head was absolutely inspired. I hope to the Throne you find a way to work it back into the force somehow. Awesome idea. The pose on that guy is super, too.

Thanks, mate! The head will probably find its way onto an eventual Terminator character at some point, so there's that.

Archived