Adepta Sororitas 7th edition codex (Update)

Anjetto

Out of curiosity Furyou is there a source for that misconception? Just that GW/BL has been making changes because of the Horus Heresy series. The most recent that came up is:

The tyranids being attracted to this galaxy because of the destruction of Pharos instead of the Astronomicon(?) on earth. 

Wouldn't surprise me if this changes as well.

Damn that happens! Damn.... i loved that lil toy... i dint know.... damn....

@anjetto

what Font you used? Im in a process of writing my own codex, wanted to ask you some questions.

still working through this, but I was wondering if you had made sure there was no way of ending up with 2++ rerollables from the shield of faith and other bonuses, as they tend to be pretty degenerate gameplay wise. (Suggestion, say in all the bonuses that they can't be used to improve beyond x++)

Interesting stuff so far.

Well anyone who has a reinforced shield of faith, who is in a squad with a character with the right warlord trait, uses the right act of faith and can access to a Prasedium protectiva could, once per game, gain a 2++.

So a Command squad or a Ophanim squad with Preasidium protectivas could do it. But one squad is limited to 5 models, the other is only useful at 20pmm and both are toughness 3. One solid turn.

Thanks for the review

Overall, very excellent work and, most tellingly, I think this would make for a fluffy AND competitive codex, with players able to play using a wide variety of units (instead of being pigeon-holed into just a few competitive ones).

A few quick questions:

-What are that stats/profile for the Condemner Bolter that you list under Special Weapons? If it is just like the old Condemner Bolter, then what is the "Combi-stake" weapon under the Ranged Weapons section?

-Can Uriah Jacobus use any Act of Faith that he wants, as long as he is joined to a squad with the Act of Faith rule? Can he use that Act of Faith to buff, say, a Battle Conclave? He obviously is a bit different than a generic Priest or Confessor.

-What is the gameplay/tactical point of the Martyr? Pretty much every other unit I can see being used and understand its role, but this one does not seem to be very useful or effective, especially compared with all the other options available in this codex.

-I like how you have made Penitent Engines much more useful, but 8 x S10 AP2 attacks with Preferred Enemy on the charge per model seems a bit strong... was this intended?

-Is the Emperor's Holy Fire relic "one shot only" with the Melta profile and unlimited shots with the Heavy Flamer profile?

-Rending is very powerful (especially for 20 SoB squads that can cheaply put out 40 Bolter shots a turn)... perhaps you might up the cost of the Divine Guidance Act of Faith to 2 Faith Points?

-The only thing that truly seems to be lacking is some form of dedicated anti-air. What do you think about adding a SoB Flyer (maybe drop the Martyr and add an Avenger Strike Fighter as a SoB Heavy Support flyer)? I think this would shore up anti-air, plus give Sisters some form of air support and an anti-vehicle option other than Exorcists and melta weapons.

-Who can take a Blessed Weapon (I see it in the Appendix, but I cannot find a unit that can take it)? I assume it is for Palantine/Cannoness?

Again, overall, outstanding codex with lots of attention to detail, fluff, and gameplay balance. I wish GW would adopt this for the next SoB book! msn-wink.gif

A few quick questions:

-What are that stats/profile for the Condemner Bolter that you list under Special Weapons? If it is just like the old Condemner Bolter, then what is the "Combi-stake" weapon under the Ranged Weapons section?

-Can Uriah Jacobus use any Act of Faith that he wants, as long as he is joined to a squad with the Act of Faith rule? Can he use that Act of Faith to buff, say, a Battle Conclave? He obviously is a bit different than a generic Priest or Confessor.

-What is the gameplay/tactical point of the Martyr? Pretty much every other unit I can see being used and understand its role, but this one does not seem to be very useful or effective, especially compared with all the other options available in this codex.

-I like how you have made Penitent Engines much more useful, but 8 x S10 AP2 attacks with Preferred Enemy on the charge per model seems a bit strong... was this intended?

-Is the Emperor's Holy Fire relic "one shot only" with the Melta profile and unlimited shots with the Heavy Flamer profile?

-Rending is very powerful (especially for 20 SoB squads that can cheaply put out 40 Bolter shots a turn)... perhaps you might up the cost of the Divine Guidance Act of Faith to 2 Faith Points?

-The only thing that truly seems to be lacking is some form of dedicated anti-air. What do you think about adding a SoB Flyer (maybe drop the Martyr and add an Avenger Strike Fighter as a SoB Heavy Support flyer)? I think this would shore up anti-air, plus give Sisters some form of air support and an anti-vehicle option other than Exorcists and melta weapons.

-Who can take a Blessed Weapon (I see it in the Appendix, but I cannot find a unit that can take it)? I assume it is for Palantine/Cannoness?

Thank you for the feed back, all is appreciated!

1) No matter how many drafts of this I do I keep forgetting the condemner. Range: 18, S:5, AP: 4, Assault: 1, Psyshock 

The combi stake has the same stats but it's a combi weapon so it's a one shot weapon like the melta or plasma would be.

2) So Jacobus (and all Priests/Confessors) cannot activate any acts of faith and can't use any themselves. However, if they are in a squad that has acts of faith and the squad activates one then they gain the benefit of the act of faith. If that makes sense. They can't activate them but they can get use out of them.

3) The Martyrs are primarily meant to be a distraction/harrassment unit. You can use them to block charges, hide behind cover to jump out onto an enemy held objective ect. They're not meant to be super effective but they have their uses but I would get if they weren't taken.

4) Engines only have 7 attacks but I get your point. I upped their attacks to 5 base because they had two close combat weapons and basic dreadnoughts have 4. Maybe drop it's base or drop rage? Maybe it's balanced out by being so delicate. It's a rough balancing act.

5) Yes, the Melta is one shot, the Heavy flamer part is forever

6) Well, on Divine guidance you're right that it's too good for big squads. But for a small squad it's not worth 2 points. How about something like: (If your squad numbers 10 models or less, this power costs 1 Faith point. If the squad numbers 11 or more, this costs 2 Faith points.) ?

7) Well the avenger stays forge world as it's an imperial navy flier, not a Sisters flier. I honestly couldn't think of a fluff way to get fliers in and I think it would most likely be a built in weakness for the army. Every army is supposed to have one. Or, I don't know, if I were GW I would demand that a flier be inserted so that we could sell a new kit. So. I don't know. lol

8) Blessed weapons are listed as upgrades inside individual squads. Ophanim have it, Cannoness/Palatines are supposed to have it but I made another typo so I'll have to fix that. But yeah, Ophanim, Command squads (typo) and/or Cannoness/Palatines have access to that weapon

Thanks again, I'll work on those typos

@Anjetto,

Thanks for taking the time to clarify. Really strong work here, as I mentioned before:

1) Condemner makes sense and is a great addition I think (squads of Dominions with this could go Psyker hunting msn-wink.gif )

2) The reason I asked about Jacobus and AoF is that he has "Act of Faith" listed under his Special Rules (unlike normal Confessors/Priests); is that a typo our intended? Also, is there a reason Confessors have Preferred Enemy, but Jacobus does not?

3) I can see what you intend with Martyrs. That said, if you do want them to be competitive (kind of SoB version of Lone Wolves, perhaps?), then I'd recommend you make their suicide explosion a bit better, say S4 AP2, Ignore Cover, Shred, Small Blast. This way, at least Martyrs are a credible threat that other armies have to pay attention to, helping them be a better "distraction" unit. I don't think this would be OP, since they are still VERY fragile and basically have to get into melee to do any damage.

4) With the Penitent, are you counting their 5A in their profile to include their dual PFs? If so, that is more reasonable (i.e. only 7 attacks on the charge, compared to 6A on the charge for a Space Marine Dread). I thought you meant 5A base +1A for two PFs +2A for Rage on the charge = 8A total.

5) Thanks for clarifying the Emperor's Holy Fire (and, BTW, that is a great Relic that I think lots of players would enjoy taking msn-wink.gif )

6) With Divine Guidance, I would still stick with 2 Faith Points, since units can potentially shoot and charge (i.e. if they get Relentless from Endless Crusade), getting Rending for everything. Even a 5 woman Celestian squad with this could shoot 15 S4 AP4, Shred, Pinning shots, then follow it up with 25 x S3 AP- I4 attacks, ALL with Rending. Even more dangerous, a 5 woman unit of Dominions with 4 Flamers, or a 5 woman unit of Retributors with 4 Heavy Flamers, or Seraphim double-tapping with pistols and Hand Flamers and then charging... all of these can produce A LOT of hits, which translates to lots of dangerous Rending.

7) I see your point about Flyers for Sisters (though, to be fair, Forgeworld, which is a GW sub-company, did give Sisters the Avenger as "their" flyer). If not a flyer, then at least perhaps give either Retributors and/or Exorcists some kind of access to Skyfire (maybe a unique Act of Faith?) so the army has some ability to fight against FMCs and aircraft.

8) Thanks for clarifying about Blessed Weapons. I have to agree with you, Ophanim, Command Squads (maybe on the Legatine?) and Palatines/Cannonesses are the perfect ones to get access to this.

The fluff for the Avenger is that while its an Imperial Navy fighter, the Sisters view them as 'holy' and often request their support, due to their heavy use by the forces of Sebastian Thor (who would go on to become the Ecclesiarch that established the Adepta Soroitas) during the Age of Apostasy.

See, this is why a group review is a good thing! Haha

Yes, Jacobus is a typo, he should not have Act of Faith.

Also, I gave Confessors 'Preferred enemy' to differentiate them from the Priests but I kept Jacobus a Priest to maybe give you a reason to take Confessors.

It's all about trying to make every useful. :-)

I'm hesitant to make martyrs AP:2 I suppose I could make them Rending and Ignores cover, that way Terminator killing would be a nice bonus, rather than the intended target. I see what you mean though, they delicate, but they're cheap and you can buy them by the half dozen. lol

I think you're right with 'Divine Guidance' having it be 2 Faith points means that you would reserve it for big squads or important turns rather than spamming it.

Well the Avenger is a personal favorite of mine (I used it every game in my battle reports) it's still a navy vehicle so it's still BS 3. I'm open to the idea of a flier but I don't think it's in the fluff that the Sisters have their own fliers. They're supposed to be limited by treaty. Then again, the Imperial guard is similarily limited but they get the Navy fliers in their codex..... hmmmmm. Also, as much as I like Soul Storm for giving me the opportunity to play sisters, it's of dubious cannon. lol

I suppose the Lightning wouldn't go amiss. Any suggestions on how it should be?

A Skyfire Act of Faith! Of course, how could I have missed that! Thanks! If it's limited to Retributors then it would give you an additional reason to take them. 2 Faith points? Make the test and the unit MAY have the 'Skyfire' rule until the beginning of the next turn?

Yes, so next round of chances:

Remove 'Act of faith' from Jacobus

Add the 'Blessed weapon' weapon option to: Ophanim Superiors (20pts), Legatines (10pts) Cannoness/Palatines (25pts)

Add Skyfire 'Act of Faith' to Retributors

Make the Rending 'Act of Faith' cost 2 Faith points

Design a plane!

Thanks again for all the support guys, I wouldn't have gotten this far without it!

The Avenger Strike Fighter has the Strafing Run rule though, so its actually BS4 against ground targets. Given that its meant to be used in a Close Air Support role, it makes sense that it doesn't shoot as well at other flyers/skimmers - its not a fighter plane.

I'd definitely leave the Avenger as the flyer. The fluff fits, the model exists, the models looks cool and has existing rules that are fairly decent. Don't fix whats not broken smile.png

Instead of Skyfire, I might actually make the AoF give Retributors +2 BS for any Snapshots... basically making them BS3 for Overwatch, shooting at Flyers/FMCs, after moving with Heavy Weapons, and even when shooting at a unit with the Invisibility power cast on them. I might suggest making this cost two faith points and be Retributor specific.

If we make it at +2 BS for snap shots then, if they were coupled with Superior Abetha then they would be Snap shooting at BS 4. That's a good combo, does it pigeon hole Abetha?

I'm still hesitant to put a Forgeworld unit in there, I didn't put the Repressor in there for the same reason. I'm conflicted. haha

I'll have to put a note in that says that you still can't fire weapons that wouldn't normally be able to snap shoot. Blast and flamer weapons ect

I was playing with the Idea of adding a vehicle only character, ala Chronos or Longstrike

She could give some rules +1bs or it will not die or reinforced shield. What would you guys think of that?

Tank Commander characters are good fun.

The only models in the whole codex with better than BS4 are the Canoness and Celestine.

I'd say a Shield of Faith bonus and a unique Act of Faith would be suitable - it's special because vehicles don't usually have the ability to activate AoFs.

Perhaps something like, "Work, Emperor damn you!" that lets her repair Weapon Destroyed and Immobilised results (although not hull points)?

Hmmm, that's a good idea. I was thinking about possibly giving her the ability to make the weapons better. Add a longer torrent to the Repressor, get a +1 to the number of shots her Exorcist gets. Well, why couldn't it allow herself to restore a hullpoint? That would be a great ability, considering vehicle's get glanced to death in one turn, or one shotted by a single weapon. So, let's workshop this.

I'll put up a 'things we think would be neat' list and we can edit it down until we get something we like?

Things we think would be neat:

Change weapon profiles?

It will not die?

Reinforced Shield of Faith?

Preferred enemy?

Unique act of faith (repair result and/or regen a hull point)?

Unique act of faith that allows her to ignore shaken and stunned results (but still loses a hull point)?

+1BS?

one last push guys, I think we can do this then I'll mail it to Nottingham. lol

While I would never normally give this advice outside specific circumstances, in this instance I'm going to say: Just stick it in already!

To reiterate a drumline chant we used to use here in Blacksburg whenever our college football team was in the red zone--before the athletic director banned it for... connotations...

http://bloximages.newyork1.vip.townnews.com/collegiatetimes.com/content/tncms/assets/v3/editorial/2/80/28086d91-0ed2-5499-81a9-0f3c9bb249e2/51dc1f7b602bb.image.jpg

I think a SoB "vehicle character" is a great idea and would add in quite nicely to this codex. Personally, I would go more for a "force multiplier" type character than a "super vehicle fighter."

Maybe something like this:

Sister Superior Veritas (HQ choice)

WS3 BS5 S3 T3 W2 I3 A2 Ld9 Sv 3+

Warlord Trait: "Fide Aut Exmortis" (generate one additional Faith Point at the beginning of each turn)

Wargear:

-Power Armor

-Frag Grenades/Melta Bombs

-2 x Inferno Pistols

Special Rules:

-Adamantium Will

-Objective Secured

-Reinforced Shield

-Act of Faith

-Independent Character

-Orders Militant

-Mistress of Iron Redemption (Sister Veritas must select one Adeptus Sororitas non-Walker vehicle before deployment. She is then permanently embarked on that vehicle for the rest of the game, unless it is destroyed, in which case she is must immediately disembark and may NOT take over command of another vehicle for the rest of the battle. The vehicle that she is embarked on benefits from her BS5 and, if it is equipped with a Laud Hailer, extends the range of the Laud Hailer's effects to 18". While she is embarked on her chosen vehicle, she does not take up any transport capacity)

-Keeper of the Relic of Saint Lydia (Unlike most vehicles, Sister Veritas' vehicle can use the Lux Imperator or the Divine Guidance Act of Faith, using her Leadership to test for it, which affects that vehicle and all models within the same squadron if it is successful. Additionally, the entire squadron that her vehicle is part of benefits from her Adamantium Will, Objective Secured, and Reinforced Shield special rules as long as she and her vehicle are alive)

Fluff-wise, the idea is the Sister Veritas has a holy relic which she takes with her when she takes command of a Sororitas vehicle. This Relic is why her whole squadron gains Objective Secured, Adamantium Will, and the Reinforced Shield, plus it allows her to call down an Act of Faith on the vehicles themselves. Her own personnel skill as a vehicle commander translates into improved Ballistic Skill and a more effective Laud Hailer.

What about a vehicle character that let's you re roll the number of exorcist missiles for exorcists within 12" once per turn, has an act of faith that let's each exorcist within range roll 2d6 for missiles and pick the highest as long as they all fire at the same target for that turn and gives the option to allow Exorcists that did not move in the movement phase to gain skyfire.

Archived