Adepta Sororitas 7th edition codex (Update)

Anjetto

I think looking at what Pask does for Imperial Guard is a good idea. Give Veritas a special rule that gives her a different special rule depending on which vehicle she's embarked on.

Something like Torrent for a Heavy Flamer Immolator, the ability to choose to use Skyfire for a Heavy Bolter Immolator, roll 2d6 pick highest for an Exorcist, that sort of thing.

Plus a unique Act of Faith definitely.

I wouldn't want to give her the same rules as something in the 'Chorus of Annihilation' formation. So I think that rules out torrent and extra dice for exorcists.

So base, Adamantium will and It will not die and Reinforced shields:

How about an act of faith that allows her to fire her weapons twice (One each at different targets or twice at the same target.) Works for exorcists, extinguishers and Immolators. (And Rhino's technically but it would be wasted on storm bolters.) That way it also works if she's chosen in the formation. We have sort of two options. Make her like Pask, in that she's a HQ choice so Sisters could have armoured HQs, which doesn't feel right.

Or we can make her like Long Strike in that she would be an upgrade to a Heavy support/Fast attack choice.

This would limit her to a Exorcist and Extinguisher so we wouldn't have to come up with rules for what happens if there's a transport capacity. 

Firing twice  would also cut down on rules complications, easiest is usually the best when it comes to game design. Less rules to remember means a faster game and less things to forget.

Allowing 4 Flamer templates or d6+d6 exorcist shots in a single turn could actually be pretty devastating.

Firing twice sounds fine to me - she's gonna cost at least half as much as a whole second tank, so she should provide an equivalent benefit, in my opinion.

A second tank provides;

- Firepower (literally twice as many shots!)

- Protection (two hulls means less dying as the enemy needs to prioritise)

- Flexibility (shoot two targets rather than one)

- Redundancy (even if one tank is destroyed, the other keeps firing)

A character who has to be bought separately, and costs something in the realm of 50-70 points, should be able to improve her vehicle by at least half that much.

So an extra round of shooting (same target) and an extra dose of resilience (improved save) would be good, or an extra round of shooting (different target), or multiple doses of resiliency (much improved save, or improved save + regen, for example) would be appropriate upgrades, I think.

Twin-linking alone is a bit... meh, for a special character, I think.

What about actually having two different vehicle "upgrade character" options: one, Ecclesiarch-based, and a second one, Sororitas-based?

Here is my stab at this, with perhaps some simpler rules per each option than before:

-------------------------------------

Sister Superior Veritas -- 35 points -- Unique upgrade for any single vehicle with the type "Tank" in the army

Special Rules:

*Mistress of Iron Redemption -- Veritas grants Adamantium Will and Objective Secured to her vehicle. Additionally, if the vehicle is destroyed, she is slain. Veritas and her vehicle count as a single unit for purposes of Victory Points.

*Sanctified War Engine -- Veritas' vehicle may use the special "Blessed Engine of the Emperor" Act of Faith, unlike other vehicles. This Act of Faith costs one Faith Point and is passed on a successful leadership check of 9 or less. If successful, Veritas' vehicle improves its Shield of Faith save by +2 (normally, to a 4++), becomes a Fast Vehicle, and its weapons gain the Twin-Linked USR until the beginning of the next Friendly Turn. Note, this only affects Veritas' vehicle and not the rest of any Squadron that it might be part of.

Confessor Zacharias -- 60 points -- Unique upgrade for any single Sororitas vehicle with the type "Tank" in the army

Special Rules:

*Relic of Saint Lydia -- All friendly Sororitas units within 6" of the vehicle gain the Fearless USR. If the vehicle is destroyed, Zacharias is slain. He and his vehicle count as a single unit for purposes of Victory Points.

*Hymns of Blessed Victory -- Zacharias' vehicle may use each of the following Hymns ONCE per game (no Ld check required):

(1) Hymn of Sanctity -- All friendly Sororitas units within 6" of the vehicle may re-roll any failed armor or invulnerable saves until the beginning of the next friendly turn.

(2) Hymn of Vengeance -- All friendly Sororitas units within 6" of the vehicle gain Shred for their shooting/melee attacks until the beginning of the next friendly turn.

(3) Hymn of Wrath -- All shooting weapons on Zacharias' vehicle gain +2S until the beginning of the next friendly turn (so Exorcist Missile becomes S10, Heavy Flamers become S7, etc.)

Overall, the idea is to have two different "vehicle upgrade" options: one, Confessor Zacharias, is more a force multiplier-type, turning his chosen vehicle into a kind of Sororitas version of the Space Marine Rhino Primaris.

The second, Sister Veritas, would be more of a "Tank Ace" type (like Pask or Longstrike), buffing only her vehicle via Adamantium Will, Objective Secured, and the unique "Blessed Engine of the Emperor" Act of Faith. I think this Act of Faith would make the vehicle significantly more potent, but not overpowered.

As Furyou Miko points out above, the abilities have to be good enough to justify not just spending the points on getting a second tank of the same type.

Honestly? I'm probably in the minority, but I really don't like the old Faith Points system. I'd prefer the current Acts of Faith either on the condition that it's one successful attempt per game (so a failed Ld roll doesn't cause you to lose it) OR for them to not be once per game, even if it means toning them down or increasing model costs slightly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Part of me thinks heavy bolters should only cost 5.

Shouldn't the Titanic Strike rule include a may at some point? Or if not, shouldn't Praexades's attacks characteristic be replaced with an asterix?

Uriah has an extra tab in his rules.

"If the squad numbers...." In the battle sisters section reads a little awkwardly. Are you sure you don't want to say if... then an additional sister may take one of the options listed above? (Or two additional, or one additional for each ten full models? I can't entirely figure out what the actual maximum is.)

As currently written, Martyr's cannot assault because they must run even if within assault distance. Also that weapon probably isn't worth 20 pts for a one shot use even if it automatically hit.

The command squad seems a little oddly written. Limiting to only two of the three upgraded models seems strange to me, and the access to heavy weapons also seems a bit concerning that it would be redundant with other units. Additionally, the Legatine seems to not be terribly much of a boost above just a regular celestian with the same equipment.

Do repentia need two attacks and rage? I figure a price decrease and 1 base attack might be warranted.

The Celestians writeup has a typo: celestines.

Instead of writing Arma Odium: Fear, why not just write fear as it saves brainspace and design space.

On the Exorcist, you may want to boost the second fire mode to D3+1 shots, since in many cases Blast is no better than if the weapon didn't have it. But that would really require some playtesting. Alternatively, you might want to give it barrage on the second fire mode.

You may want to make Sanctum Gladius for Penitent Engines just give fleet, rather than 3" bonus, particularly to charge ranges, as charge range bonuses are pretty darn rare.

Divina Lux is really strong. I don't know if it is unbalancingly so without playtesting, but I just wanted to point it out.

I feel like the Ecclesarchy Conclave requiring Jacobus is unfortunate as it limits the ability to use it.

Is the Conclave of Fire supposed to require one Battle Conclave per priest? Right now it doesn't.

That Chorus of Annihilation is pretty strong. Don't know without playtesting whether that is too much so.

What happens to Vehicles in the Hammer and Anvil? (Slow and purposeful?)

What happens if an act of faith unit is repeatedly joined and left by a character without it? Is that result what you want?
Are you sure you don't just want acts of faith to only effect models in the unit with that rule and to not be testable on non-faithful character's leaderships? What happens if faith points go negative (Double 6s for instance)? Does sister margret increase your faith points?

There should probably be something restricting detachments to a single Order Militant.
Do you want to make Legacy of Dedication an optional use thing? Because right now it doesn't appear to be. Also, is it supposed to effect more than just Bolters? If so it should probably mention bolt weaponry, although then I am not sure it is as good, since it makes Heavy Bolters pretty bad.

Annointed Armour: You may just want to give a +1 to denial checks against those powers, as it is less to remember.

I would word Hexagrammic wards as a -1 penalty, as all other dice modifiers are on the dice not the target number.

Emp's Holy Fire might need to be increased in cost by about 5, playtesting is required. It should also probably be consistently named.

Sacred Banner (same thing on the naming) should probably be at least 40 points.

Tactical Objectives: 2 require an enemy to have a psyker, one requires your own warlord's death (which is terrible, even with precedence) and none have a chance for 3+D3 VP. So I would work on those a bit more.

Sorry it took so long for me to give it a more thorough look through. I'll check out the special characters in more detail and some of the synergistic break points when I get a chance.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Okay, took longer than expected but I took all the feedback and made the changes. Fixed various typos as well.

Praexades: Both attack options

Extra tab?

Martyr's: Have to move towards the closest enemy and assault if able. (Run sentence is removed)

Command squad: Now has access to all three upgrades and the Legatine had 'Shred'

Repentia: Now 9 points with 1 attack.

Exorcist: Upped points. Added 'Ordinance' to the primary fire mode and 'Barrage' to the secondary fire.

Sanctum Gladius: Now adds to base move and run only. Not charge

Divina Lux: Actually had a typo, it was supposed to be WS OR BS, not both.

Is the Conclave of Fire supposed to require one Battle Conclave per priest?  Yes

Chorus of Annihilation: Changed to 2 dice pick the highest, rather than 3.

Hammer and Anvil: Cleared up the wording to make it more apparent that it's supposed to only be infantry who gain benefits 

Faith points: Now squads can just not use the Acts of Faith if joined by a character without the 'Act of Faith' and/or 'Warhymn' special rules. Also clarified that Faith points cannot go below zero.

Order Militant: May only be taken with units of the same Order

Legacy of Dedication: Optional and only works on Bolt pistols, Bolters, Combi-bolters fired as Bolters and Stormbolters 

Anointed Armour: +1 to 'Deny the Witch' rolls against 'Witchfire' powers that target her squad.

Hexagrammic wards: -1 to Die roll, not target.

Emp's Holy Fire: Fixed names in all parts of the codex, upped the points by 5

Sacred Banner: Fixed names in all parts of the codex, upped the points by 5

Tactical Objectives: Added a D3+3 objective but otherwise unchanged. (Unless there are suggestions otherwise) 

• 3 weeks later...

This is really amazing. I love how all the familiar units are still there, but mixed in are new units that really fill out the army. Verry excited about the "chapter tactics" that each order has. The Order of Our Martyred Lady's rules fit nicely with my own order, which is an offshoot of The Order of Our Martyred Lady

I'm sorry I haven't been following this more closely.

Please do include the two new characters you have posted (in another thread).

• 1 month later...

So, this has been in my to do pile for a while.

Why not just make confessors a priest upgrade rather than a separate unit entry?

As long as they have the vulgus rule, the fratres are too expensive to be useful. I would drop them to 4 ppm for additional models in the unit and increase the max size to 30.

For martyrs, the small blast cannot hit an enemy that moves within 2" unless the enemy is really dumb and moves it as close as possible (1.5" radius from center of martyr base). I would probably remove that trigger.

For celestians, shred and pinning are pretty awesome, but without relentless salvo makes them very hard to use. Salvo has pretty massive antisynergy with their other bonuses (which are close combat based). Also, why do the celestians have such different weaponry/equipment from the command squad celestians?

Ophanim. Are there any non-astartes power armour that use lightning claws? It seems somewhat weird to me given how oversized lightning claws already are, it might unbalance the sleeker Sororitas pattern? Although I confess I am not entirely familiar with what sort of fluff interactions might be going on with that.

Exorcists: I forget, do weapons with the barrage rule automatically follow the rules for multiple barrage if they have multiple shots? If not, you should add it. (I forget the current rules status on that particular thing)

Retributors: Do you want their act of faith to give them bonuses to the wall of flame overwatch rule? (maybe increase minimum hits by 1)

Penitent engine: Are dreadnought close combat weapons even a thing anymore? Also, why do they get shield of faith (fluffwise, I think it is perfectly balanced and its removal would warrant a price reduction)

Avenger: Heavy rather than FA? also "each Avenger make take..." what is that line supposed to be?

Does divina lux require you to choose WS or BS or does it affect both? If the latter, I would just say and not or, if the former, I would reword it to say "choose one..."

It seems weird to me that the battle mission would grant obsec, that doesn't really seem to jive to Sororitas function in my mind. I'm not sure what would be good to replace it. Relentless would be hilarious and fluffy, but (likely) too powerful, perhaps make the Endless Crusade act either autopass or not cost faith to attempt (you choose at creating the rule, not allowing the users to choose). Autopassing acts of faith might be something to think about.

Why does the march of redemption require max(or large) units? That seems to limit it's use as an auxilliary.

Objectives: Isn't hold the line already an objective? Also martyrdom plus two enemy psyker based objectives seem to make it a really terrible objective list.

Also, which units get access to which acts of faith, as the appendix seems to be the only place they are all listed, but it also includes some unique ones. Are the names in parenthesis the only ones that have access to those, at which point, I would write that out explicitly.)

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for looking over my fandex.

I actually did make that change to the Priest. Confessor is now an upgrade.

Keep Fratres the base price they are now and drop all additional Frates to 4PPM? That's a good idea. I'll do it

In playtesting for the Martyrs I just hoped for a good scatter on the blast, I like having it for theme/fluff reasons rather than it being totally useful for gameplay.

Well there is an Act of Faith that grants Relentless that works pretty well with the Celestians. The Sarassa is mostly there for fluff reasons as well, as they've always had them. It typically used for receiving the charge, rather than as a dedicated assault unit. As for the difference in weaponry I think of it like Command squads and Sternguard squads. They're both elite veterans but only Sternguard are granted the special ammunition. Different battlefield rolls.

Ophanim, yeah, in the fluff sisters don't have lightning claws. I figured they'd need an alternate weapon option but yeah, I think it's not a good fit. You're right, I'll play around with it.

As for Exorcists, you're right, I will have to add multi-barrage.

I played around with the Act of Faith like that but for ease of play I think I'll keep it like it is.

Penitent engine, I can come up with a fluff reason for them to have Shield of Faith. Lol. But they need that bit of extra protection to make it to the fight.

Avenger: Last time I checked the forge world dataslate it was in the Heavy slot. But it would work fine in the fast, I think fast attack would be too crowded if I moved it there. (Not like heavy isn't a crowded spot either...)

Divina Lux: Is one or the other, that is a typo. Thanks for catching it.

I gave the Battle mission the Obsec rule as, during playtesting the Soroitas were still too weak. The Decurion-style detachment already gives them a 1 die re-roll on their Acts of Faith so giving them a free one seems redundant. Autopassing all AOF was too powerful, autopassing the first one per turn worked out appreciably the same. The fluff justification, in my mind, would be that they are deployed to take and hold holy ground. The rule should probably be called 'Hallowed ground' and have it grant Obsec.  

I'm going to reduce the Penitent engine requirement to 1+ rather than 3+ for March of Redemption. It's a lot of units, but they're pretty cheap and the bonus they get seems balanced with the cost input.

Objectives: I can't really come up with any other Objectives. I really am having a hard time with them. I like the idea of one of the psyker ones but I am very much open to suggestions for the rest.

I will make them more clear on the Acts of Faith. All units have access to all of the listed AOF, except the ones with unit names in parentheses. Acts of Faith with unit names/characters in parentheses can only be used by those listed units but it does not stop those units from using any of the other AOF. (E.G: Retributors can use 'Caeli Ardentum' and all the other AOF, except for those with names in Parentheses.) And they stack, not multiple of the same ones but different ones can all stack.

Did I explain better this time?

Thanks again for reading through it! 

• 3 months later...

Okay, I'm back after life was weird. With the recent 'announcement' I felt compelled to get it all wrapped up pretty quickly. 

Codex is split into 3 parts (don't have a good PDF joiner) Wargear, decurion, formations, new acts of faith, new characters (Medicae Superior and Dialogus Superior) Lord of war, Tactical objectives, and Sororitas Relics.

Also it includes an 'Angels of Death' style supplement called 'Daughters of the Emperor' that includes new formations and Decurion detachments for all the other Major Orders Militants, Relics and Warlord traits for them as well.

It's probably a mess of typos and oversites so I would really appreciate you guys looking it over for me again.

Thank you!

http:// http://sta.sh/216dx989mf0z?edit=1

Archived