IG "start collecting" set

exsonics

Hello all 

I saw "start collecting" lists from GW

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Start-Collecting-Astra-Militarum

There are LRBT, one Cadian squad, a HWT and a commissar. 

Costs $85. Is this worth buying? 

Frankly I'm considering my the first purchase as Cadian Defense Force 

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US/Cadian-Defence-Force

Here, LRBT + 2 Cadian squad + 3 HWT + 1 CCS + 1 LRBT + 1 Chimera 

Costs $165. 

Considering the contents, CDF set is cheaper option per models. 

What is the meaning of "collecting" set? Is there any reason for $85 price? 

ps) There is a new formation "Armored Shield" data sheet in the box. I don't checked "read more". This explains the $85 cost. 

The cadian start collecting set is probably not as good a buy as the defense force, as commisars are not a great hq choice. The AM and Space Marine ones are not great because of the unit choices, but if they grant special formation rules they might be worth it.

I dunno... it's still $115 worth of models for $85. That's a really good deal. I haven't calculated how much you save on the Cadian Defense Force but I think if you want to play AM, you've got $85 to spare and not $165, it's still probably a good buy.

Go with the Cadian Defense Force, it can get you set up with a CCS and two vet squads, add 2 more chimeras for the vets and boom you have a nice little list, add a second leman russ for added firepower and you've got a nicer list. Build the heavy weapons as missile launchers or autocannons and sink them into the vet squads and CCS and off you go.

Also, don't just take people's word for commissars being a bad HQ choice. You test off of the highest Ld value when doing morale, so don't worry about the blamming so much, as you'd need to roll 11 or 12 on 2d6 which is unlikely. The lord Comissar is a solid HQ for the points, especially if you're trying to keep your points down.

I dunno... it's still $115 worth of models for $85. That's a really good deal. I haven't calculated how much you save on the Cadian Defense Force but I think if you want to play AM, you've got $85 to spare and not $165, it's still probably a good buy.

^^Also this. I'd say get the CDF if you can afford it, if not grab the other one. 

CDF is the best way to start a guard army (I've bought two because they're such good value especially if you buy it through a retailer that offers an extra 20-25% off)

Lord commissars are good if you don't want to run a CCS with orders and you can hide him in larger blobs and offer his leadership benefits.

Defence Force is better I think as you get a lot of useful stuff, the important thing is you get a saving and usable models. Of course, you can get a better saving by purchasing from an online reseller too ;) As Canadian said you could get both if you wanted, depends what models you ultimately want to collect...

I think CDF provides you a ready to use army from one box. While "start collecting" set needs something more to buy as it does not fills minimal FOC requirement. 

And i agree with Ulrik. Comissars have their use. People saying that comissars are bad simply haven't used them properly

I look at it that you can never have enough Russes or grunts and the commissar can always be sold on.

If I did not have such a massive painting queue already then I would be looking at getting a couple of these purely on cost grounds.

All prices GW list

Start Collecting! Astra Militarum  £50

Consists of:

Officio Prefectus Commissar      £12.50

Leman Russ Battle Tank           £31

Ten Cadian Shock Troops         £18

Heavy Weapon Team               £  9.50

Total individual cost:                £71 ( The box set gives a 29.5% saving)

Ok it is not as good as the Tau set which gives 41% saving but you can't knock it.

And not to forget that you can get it even cheaper with online stores.

As a starter set it does not make masses of sense but to top up your collection it does.

I think they worded it wrong. They;re making it sound like they're starter sets with the "Start Collecting!" when they're really Formation Sets. They come with their own Formation dataslate.

I guess starter set sounds better in their minds.

I think they worded it wrong. They;re making it sound like they're starter sets with the "Start Collecting!" when they're really Formation Sets. They come with their own Formation dataslate.

I guess starter set sounds better in their minds.

Good catch. I'd pick one up if it came with a formation datasheet!

The description of the set on the website says it has an exclusive formation data sheet called the Armoured Shield.

Oh wow, that was the reason... now I can understand the about $85. 

ah! that 'read more' trick again

I also missed that :P 

Not a confirmed info, but one of my 40K friend told me that the box contents are everything for the formation. If he is right, the armored shield formation will be consist of 1 guardsmen squad + 1 HWT + 1 commissar + 1 LR tank. He call it armored "meat" shield formation. sad.png

Not a confirmed info, but one of my 40K friend told me that the box contents are everything for the formation. If he is right, the armored shield formation will be consist of 1 guardsmen squad + 1 HWT + 1 commissar + 1 LR tank. He call it armored "meat" shield formation. sad.png

Well, yeah. I'm talking about the formation benefits, the special rules that usually go with a formation, there have to be some as 10 guardsmen a commissar and a tank are not that powerful on their own.

Yeah I could make use of every model in the ig and sm kits... Don't have to have em tho... So it does depend on the formations...

Anybody else find the ig box odd for having 10 infantry and a hwt? Is it a unique 12 man squad? Is it a single hwt squad?

I suspect it'll be more along the lines of

1 Lord commissar (possibly just commissar)

1 veteran squad (where u can choose to include the hwt)

1 LBRT

So you'll end up with two useless guardsmen or a single hwt which you wont be able to include in the formation

Unconfirmed info: The rule of the "Armored Shield" - new "start collecting" formation for IG - is "All units of the formation near (within 6") Leman Russ tank (of the formation) receive 4+ cover save". Not sure it is true, and I don't have any more detail. I just heard of it from other 40K community member. Looks good, though. 

Archived