IG "start collecting" set

exsonics

Would be interesting if true... especially as you often want troops nearby to help protect the tank.

Yes, if we use forward sentries to the veteran squad of that formation, the boys will have 3+ cover. That would be great.

Yeh if you only wanted to run 1 or 2 LBRTs it would almost warrant running one of these formations for each one.

Free up spaces for single unit wyvrens ;-)

Heavy slots are always busy tongue.png But that is good idea smile.png

Yes, if we use forward sentries to the veteran squad of that formation, the boys will have 3+ cover. That would be great.  

That was my first thought, as well. But, my money is on the formation being a standard squad of guardsmen. 

While it wouldn't be the first time that GW has parted out the Infantry platoon for use in formations, they seem a bit reluctant to do it. So it might be veterans

Since a squad of guardsmen is a lesser threat than a LRBT i would prefer to have that the tank has 4+ cover if near guardsmen. If so the enemy would first take down the infantry and then the tank giving him a possible additional turn to live. The tank is a priority with and without the special rule.

Add that anti inf weapons with ignore cover are more common that AT ones.

So had a look at the formation rules

It is as mentioned any infantry units from this formation near the LR receive a 4+ cover save.

The units are

1 officio prefectus commissar

1 lemam russ

1 infantry squad

So interesting that it specifies a clam pack name and not a codex entry...

So presumably its supposed to be a regular commissar and not LC

Upside to it being just a regular infantry squad makes it a lot cheaper to run them as static tank defence

I can't remember the exact wording on the LR but I think it was just LR and not specifically LRBT

Infantry squad outside of a Platoon... interesting, could be some potential use here especially if you have choice of Russ (which should be the case). Unfortunate about the commissar who will mostly be a tax in this case but I suppose he'll keep the squad holding their defensive line a bit longer?

So had a look at the formation rules

It is as mentioned any infantry units from this formation near the LR receive a 4+ cover save.

The units are

1 officio prefectus commissar

1 lemam russ

1 infantry squad

So interesting that it specifies a clam pack name and not a codex entry...

So presumably its supposed to be a regular commissar and not LC

Upside to it being just a regular infantry squad makes it a lot cheaper to run them as static tank defence

I can't remember the exact wording on the LR but I think it was just LR and not specifically LRBT

Is it just 1 of each?

or 1+ or 1 to 2 etc?

This box looks like a good way to expand forces too. I mean I could always use another russ, and another commissar, and another infantry squad... The Formation seems a bit lackluster though, compared to what else we've got to work with.

If the commissar wasn't inferior to the older metal ones perhaps... but a good base for some conversion work I'm sure.

That's what I was saying to the guys in store yesterday. Compared to the other commissars he's a really dull model. Not to mention he looks like he's been on the front lines a little bit too long and needs a decent feed.

I actually just stripped my one (which I got in one of the scion box sets) so I can repaint him. His previous paint job made him look a bit too much like Santa Claus.

I don't think the formation is really designed to be used in a "proper" game of 40k. It's there so someone completely new to the game can buy it, and have something to play with (probably against other people using other 'start collecting' formations).

IMO the Cadian Defense Force is a much better way to start an army, because you can pretty easily make a Combined Arms Detachment out of it which you most likely will be using in a "proper" game.

If they are veterans, you can at least give them some decent guns and park them next to the Russ.  Otherwise, a 25-point commissar and a non-objective secured infantry squad is not exactly a light price for an out-of-FOC Russ.

Formation:

1 x Officio Prefectus Commissar (model has Powersword and Plasma or bolt pistol)

1 x Infantry Squad (10 man Cadian Shock Troops sprues plus 1 HWT sprue set)

1 x Leman Russ (no specific type mentioned but the box includes only the sprues to make the Leman Russ Battle Tank, Eradicator, Exterminator or Vanquisher.)

Infantry models from this formation that are within 6" of the Armoured Shield's Leman Russ receive a 4+ cover save.

Raises a couple of questions:

If you make your own out of models you already have rather than buying this box set can you use different models ie different weapon load on the Commissar, a different infantry squad (veterans/Scions) and a different Leman Russ (Demolisher/Punisher)??

Mine has turned up ;)

Formation:

1 x Officio Prefectus Commissar (model has Powersword and Plasma or bolt pistol)

1 x Infantry Squad (10 man Cadian Shock Troops sprues plus 1 HWT sprue set)

1 x Leman Russ (no specific type mentioned but the box includes only the sprues to make the Leman Russ Battle Tank, Eradicator, Exterminator or Vanquisher.)

Infantry models from this formation that are within 6" of the Armoured Shield's Leman Russ receive a 4+ cover save.

Raises a couple of questions:

If you make your own out of models you already have rather than buying this box set can you use different models ie different weapon load on the Commissar, a different infantry squad (veterans/Scions) and a different Leman Russ (Demolisher/Punisher)??

Mine has turned up msn-wink.gif

So the 'infantry squad' does the sheet list their stats? BS3 vs BS4? Are they vets?

Kind of a confusing box set. I think I might get one of the Guard boxes, will probably get a Skitarri one too.

Is it taboo to ask for a photo of the data sheet?

Infantry squads exist outside of infantry platoons in a few alternate list compositions, like the Armored Battle Group, though they tend to have restrictions like "must take a dedicated transport" or something.

Archived