IG "start collecting" set

exsonics

Tnx Elmo!

I think that Infantry Squad is clear: simple guardsmen, not vets. About LR there can be some doubts... LRBT is a specific tank, LR not. I think that you can use the type you want.

About the loadout of the squad and the commisar i think that you are not forced to use the one if the minis, just follow the codex.

So basically it's good for a ally detachment box (since you can use the guardsmen as vets w/ or w/o a HWT), or to add onto what you already have.

I tallied it up it's a 115.50USD value, for 85USD. It's a good deal, but not a competent starter.

The main draw of this box for me was the russ and the data sheet.  Since the sheet seems a little half-baked to me, I'll probably skip this box.

I think I'll get the Skitarii box and save a bit more to expand my army with another Cadian Defense Force down the road... unless something cool comes out before then.

• 1 month later...

so I was thinking about it yesterday (and I'm not sure if its been mentioned yet) it is possible to have all units with a 4+ cover save most of the time

The intervening model role doesn't require a vehicle to be 25% obscured as it is its own special rule.

So for a 5+ CS you wrap your 10 guardsmen and commissar around the tank as they already have a 4+ and if you pay for camo netting you bring your tank to a 4+ provided the attacking unit is shooting through the infantry squad

Just some food for thought if you were considering the kit and formation

Seems like a great starter box to me :) Now granted I have a bunch of Guard so this set isn't aimed at me. But a ~30% saving, cheeky commissar, tank and guardsmen. That's a nice force you can tack anything on to.

​And then of course when you want to start throwing money around, there's the Defence Force to bulk it up, big time! 

The problem with intereining models is that the shots pass over the "shield" unit cover doesnt apply.
In our gaming club this rule generates a lot of discussions.

So how does that intervening models special rule work exactly? I find a bunch of different answers when I google.

Talking Leman Russ only, since knights/etc are a whole different height.

A line of guardsmen across the front of the tank, that gives the intervening model cover right? Even if we need to cover 25%, those guardsmen cover at least that much.

Bullgryns... well if guardsmen work, bullgryns certainly do.. right?

I'm reading thru this topic on a xeno heresy board (Commissar please purge if link not allowed msn-wink.gif ):

http://thetyranidhive.proboards.com/thread/47300/intervening-models-cover-saves

Seems like a great starter box to me :) Now granted I have a bunch of Guard so this set isn't aimed at me. But a ~30% saving, cheeky commissar, tank and guardsmen. That's a nice force you can tack anything on to.

​And then of course when you want to start throwing money around, there's the Defence Force to bulk it up, big time!

Im pretty sure the defence box has been discontinued which was a shame that was real good value

As for the intervening model from memory I think its vague enough to be argued intervening via LOS or just the fact that there is something inbetween. There is no 25% requirement

Bullgryns with shields and LRBT with camo netting would.probably fetch you a 3+ cover save but would be an expensive way about it

Targeting is done by LoS yes, which is why positioning is important. Units like tanks and such can probably peer over your infantry blockade - enemy troops on the ground with their meltas less so ;) Don't forget the main role of the infantry is to prevent easy charges and intercept the enemy, providing cover to your tank is a nice bonus :) Head over to the OR for more detail on a rule, I'm sure this is a question already answered in detail.

Vehicles have to be 25% obscured on the facing that's being shot to claim cover but luckily the height of a Guardsman should be enough to claim 25%, if you wrap the unit close to the tank (ie you only have to block out the bottom 1/4 of the facing of the tank to be 25% obscured).  It doesn't take much to do that.  Aegis Defense Lines, low walls and battlefield debris will pretty much all do that for you as well, if you park the Russ right up against it.

Archived