Hey, I'm pretty new to the game and was wondering - since the Dominus Maniple is a Skitarii formation, if the Dominus is my warlord would he still roll in the Cult Mechanicus warlord trait table?  I assume he would still count for all intents and purposes as a Cult Mech unit, not a Skitarii one, but I'm unsure.

Hey, I'm pretty new to the game and was wondering - since the Dominus Maniple is a Skitarii formation, if the Dominus is my warlord would he still roll in the Cult Mechanicus warlord trait table?  I assume he would still count for all intents and purposes as a Cult Mech unit, not a Skitarii one, but I'm unsure.

Exactly !

Exactly !

Good question - as the Tech Priest Dominus still has the Cult Mechanicus Faction, it rolls on the Cult Mechanicus table and can only take Cult Mechanicus wargear/relics.

Alright, thanks guys!  

• 3 weeks later...

So, there are reports coming in about the Start Collecting Skitarii boxes folks have received over the past couple days having a Dominos Maniple sheet that lists Rangers instead of Vanguard. An image attached to the first report seems legit, but in the Internet/Photoshop Age, that's not necessarily a guarantee. Has anyone else seen these 'revised' DM sheets, or have any info on what is going on with regards to them?

I assume it's an error.  Even the GW website blurb about the box set says they should be vanguard, and up to now they've all said vanguard, so I would bet it's an error.  It'd be nice if it was either/or, but "new" one would seem to me to be a minor downgrade (or, at best, a sidegrade) since it still doesn't give room for the option.

I've got one on the Start Collecting Skitarii boxes and you can assemble them as either Vanguard or Rangers.

They aren't talking about the models, they are talking about the datasheet.

I have two unopened boxes, I should pop them open to test my luck!

I've got one on the Start Collecting Skitarii boxes and you can assemble them as either Vanguard or Rangers.

whoops.gif

This is a box I'm interested in as I think the Skitarii could do with an HQ and I like the Dominus model so it seems like a good place to start, but realistically how useful is it table top wise for starting out? I wouldn't have the other codex as I have little interest in those models (currently?) would that be a problem?

If you come across a misprint that allows a unit of Onagers, I'd be happy to take it off your hands msn-wink.gif

This is a box I'm interested in as I think the Skitarii could do with an HQ and I like the Dominus model so it seems like a good place to start, but realistically how useful is it table top wise for starting out? I wouldn't have the other codex as I have little interest in those models (currently?) would that be a problem?

In my experience, it's alright. The reroll is decent but not great (you have to have the dominus right up front to use it, but he served me better in the back repairing my onager). Unfortunately it's not very good in small point games because if you are running more than just the box, it becomes a troop tax just to get your hq in the game. It could be inconvenient not having the codex, but all you really need would be warlord traits if he's your warlord, and then his stats and weapons. Should be easy to print out or something.

Thanks Tyriks, I figure it's good from a collection point of view at the least as it seems like a good saving (even more if I can find it online...) :) It'd be nice to be able to use the Dominus without jumping through hoops but it could be worse!

Yeah, even if I never run it again as a DM, it was 100% worth it to buy. I might even buy more since I know I'll need more onagers and Vanguard and it's the cheapest way to get them.

Its great for double games and semi-small point games when you include say an Imperial Knight :D

The Dominus maniple with a second neutron onager plus a knight fits well in a 1k game. 

I do have a Knight I'm slowly working on ;) My plan is to get some small games in and use them as an allied force. Without additional units from the other codex I doubt they'll turn into a fully fledged army for 1500+ games but that said I fancy the idea of a couple of the starter sets to form the army - what sort of points value would I be looking at for that?

Its great for double games and semi-small point games when you include say an Imperial Knight biggrin.png

The Dominus maniple with a second neutron onager plus a knight fits well in a 1k game.

Unfortunately, I don't think the Dominus Maniple allows more than one Onager. If you look at the unit requirements, it says one Onager, not one UNIT of Onagers (as the Skitarii Maniple does). So I don't think you can do that without an agreement from your opponent first.

The collection is a nice starting point because of its price, and the Magos can bring a lot of utility.

I wouldn't use more than 1 to get a Magos in an otherwise pure Skitarii list, and even then an allied Mechanicus detachment would be better if you can deal with one unit of servitors.

The Vanguard unit doesn't get scout/crusader, so gets left behind in a hurry.

That's why Rangers would have been much better. I'd take 10 just with their rifles and omnispex and part them on an objective. 30" range and move through cover means they aren't out of the fight long, whereas the Vanguard will be just huffing and puffing up the field for 2-3 turns unless your opponent obliges you by walking into your guns.

I do have a Knight I'm slowly working on msn-wink.gif My plan is to get some small games in and use them as an allied force. Without additional units from the other codex I doubt they'll turn into a fully fledged army for 1500+ games but that said I fancy the idea of a couple of the starter sets to form the army - what sort of points value would I be looking at for that?

One completely un-upgraded Dominus Maniple runs for 250 points if you field the Vanguard as a 5 man squad. If you bump that to a ten man squad and deck everything out with the most expensive upgrades/wargear, you come in at 630 points (I think, I might have missed some possible points). So, realistically, it could be anywhere in between.

The collection is a nice starting point because of its price, and the Magos can bring a lot of utility.

I wouldn't use more than 1 to get a Magos in an otherwise pure Skitarii list, and even then an allied Mechanicus detachment would be better if you can deal with one unit of servitors.

That's why Rangers would have been much better. I'd take 10 just with their rifles and omnispex and part them on an objective. 30" range and move through cover means they aren't out of the fight long, whereas the Vanguard will be just huffing and puffing up the field for 2-3 turns unless your opponent obliges you by walking into your guns.

Yeah, if I had any Cult Mech models besides the Tech-Priest, I would not run a Dominus Maniple, I would run a CAD or a Cult Mech Battle Congregation with an allied Skitarii Maniple. But if you are just getting started (like me), and are more focused on Skitarii than Cult Mech, it's not a terrible choice, mostly because you can get a warlord that won't die when someone sneezes.

Its great for double games and semi-small point games when you include say an Imperial Knight biggrin.png

Unfortunately, I don't think the Dominus Maniple allows more than one Onager. If you look at the unit requirements, it says one Onager, not one UNIT of Onagers (as the Skitarii Maniple does). So I don't think you can do that without an agreement from your opponent first.

Oh...oh well I owe a few of the players some games. lol

Thanks guys, that's along the lines of what I was assuming :) 250 sounds quite reasonable as a baseline number, though I'd expect to want to run 10 man units or near to it at most times? I think the fancier basic guns of the Skitarii lean towards fewer "necessary" upgrades so I'm planning on taking a somewhat Guard approach of boys before toys.

I do have a Knight I'm slowly working on msn-wink.gif My plan is to get some small games in and use them as an allied force. Without additional units from the other codex I doubt they'll turn into a fully fledged army for 1500+ games but that said I fancy the idea of a couple of the starter sets to form the army - what sort of points value would I be looking at for that?

One completely un-upgraded Dominus Maniple runs for 250 points if you field the Vanguard as a 5 man squad. If you bump that to a ten man squad and deck everything out with the most expensive upgrades/wargear, you come in at 630 points (I think, I might have missed some possible points). So, realistically, it could be anywhere in between.

Yeah, if I had any Cult Mech models besides the Tech-Priest, I would not run a Dominus Maniple, I would run a CAD or a Cult Mech Battle Congregation with an allied Skitarii Maniple. But if you are just getting started (like me), and are more focused on Skitarii than Cult Mech, it's not a terrible choice, mostly because you can get a warlord that won't die when someone sneezes.

If you're using him as your warlord with Skitarii, you're doing it wrong. :P

You should make the Vanguard Alpha warlord, so you also get Preferred Enemy, and use the Magos to tank all the damage for the unit. Then if he dies, no big loss, your Alpha is still in the back with his conversion field.

In my (very limited) experience, the Vanguard alpha is just too fragile. Template attacks, precision shots, even just a high rate of fire from the enemy make it too easy to just pluck him out of combat. If I'm running a Dominus Maniple anyway, I figure I might as well make the only guy who can take a hit my warlord. That way if I want my Tech-Priest to go heal something I don't have to worry about a challenge or something. That said, I don't know if I'm going to run a DM again any time soon.

Archived