Thanks guys, that's along the lines of what I was assuming :) 250 sounds quite reasonable as a baseline number, though I'd expect to want to run 10 man units or near to it at most times? I think the fancier basic guns of the Skitarii lean towards fewer "necessary" upgrades so I'm planning on taking a somewhat Guard approach of boys before toys.

This is the way to run them. The Vanguard's Radium Carbine is just so damaging to a huge variety of units that putting more of them on the table is usually the safest move.

Thanks guys, that's along the lines of what I was assuming smile.png 250 sounds quite reasonable as a baseline number, though I'd expect to want to run 10 man units or near to it at most times? I think the fancier basic guns of the Skitarii lean towards fewer "necessary" upgrades so I'm planning on taking a somewhat Guard approach of boys before toys.

This is the way to run them. The Vanguard's Radium Carbine is just so damaging to a huge variety of units that putting more of them on the table is usually the safest move.

I agree. The Cancer guns are just so good against the majority of what you'll face in both casual and competive play that i'd take vanguard on mass, and sprinkle in a few arc rifles evenly dispersed, and you'll kill most stuff dead.

I run dominus maniple along side cult.mech in my wuad domi list.

I take a CAD, Battle Congregation, and domi maniple. For 4 dominus and 4 kataphron units

I'll have to consider this once I have more models!  

They should have given rangers objective secured.

That said, based on advice from this forum, I tried the no upgrades except omnispex squad, and they pull their weight with those guns. Even against Space Marines, scouts are extremely popular and usually the only troop choices you will see outside of a Gladius.  Rangers murder these squads extremely well.  I leave the special weapons to the cheaper Vanguard.

• 1 month later...

So I bought two Skitarii starter boxsets a while back, never bothered with the second datasheet till I was clearing out some space. Noticed this. 

25665884540_d9ba8497ef.jpg

Err wut?

This one's been reported since the box came out, but this is the first "pictures or it didn't happen" confirmation I've seen.

Be interesting to see if there is a 'tell' on the box to know which formation sheet you're getting - did you happen to note which sheet came from which box? And if they came from different sources/production runs?

Ask the question in FB biggrin.png

To be honest, I had the feeling that this formation fits more for Rangers (and if I remember correctly there are Rangers on the fron of the box as well).

It feels like this formation is intendet for long range fire support for the Tech Priest... just my thoughts.

However: The Rangers on the box make it quite obvious that they had Rangers in their heads when they wrote down the rules.

No one buys just one, the discount is too great. Everyone starting Skitarii now buys at least 2.

And mine both say vanguard, which is better, because I field 4 squads of those anyway...

Bought the BIG Boxset with the maniple twice (discounted ofc), guess I wouldve bought more of the starter box sets. 

As WarriorFish said best of both worlds :D

Archived