First FW models- Kytan and KoS

darkseren1ty

Hey guys

So I posted up some topics a while back asking for help with the paint schemes and assembly of my first FW products, namely the sexy Keeper of Secrets and the Kytan Daemon Engine and received some helpful advice (thanks guys).

I used a combination of citadel paints, tamiya tubs and a couple faskolor airbrush paints.

The Kytan is basecoated with shades of bone and the trim is a dark gold/copper color.

Edit: finally created a Flickr account so I could upload all the images. Bear in mind I had like 3 weeks to paint these models (after work hours) coz of the apocalypse game I was planning to use them in.

First, the KoS:
24985381785_09c640c423_z.jpg
Assembling the KoS was quite the arduous labor. Used liquid green stuff and regular green stuff on all the big joins.

24354459564_7df580cfe2_z.jpg
I had to paint the spikes blue before using a pair of tweezers to grab them. They're blue simply for the contrast against the white flooring I have (so I could find them quicker after repeatedly dropping these accursed things).

24958926676_a66e59b465_z.jpg
Finally started to paint. So first I airbrushed the whole model with tamiya white (thinned down with H2O). Then I mixed tamiya white, pallid wytch flesh, and rakarth flesh in a 50/40/10 ratio which I used as the main skin tone. Then I added more tamiya white to this existing mix (like 50% more) to cover the fleshy parts that errr.. Stick out (ie: bum, breasts, biceps and thighs).
The blue in the horns and claws is a mix of faskolor metallic turquoise and tamiya metallic blue with a wee bit of Nihilakh oxide, I faded the color so it was mixed with the fleshy paint initially then progressively darkened with more tamiya metallic blue towards the tip of the claws/horns.
24617667719_1eeb34760a_z.jpg
24891818551_d04f386751_z.jpg
24867389342_19ca4d4850_z.jpg
The details... Everything to be metallic colors was primed black. The eldar soulstones on her face were painted with fiery colors transitioning from Khorne red to flash gitz yellow. The other details on the head were painted with emperors children pink, genestealer purple and faskolor fluorescent razberry.

24689599280_e3187620c5_z.jpg
The loin cloth was wet blended with a medium sized brush starting from caliban green and transitioning all the way to flash gitz yellow.
The "leather" parts were a mix of Abaddon black with the faskolor razberry, with more purple added to the mix for the highlights.
The scars on the arms were simply inked with carroburg Crimson.

24892125021_424be36f0c_z.jpg
The base.. First I drew a ying yang symbol with a brush in white paint. Then I airbrushed the white areas with pink, purple and blue colors then cleaned up the rest with imperial primer.
24689546420_eb2a4d1075_z.jpg
24354545324_4b37a54674_z.jpg
24617400879_a4ef048d90_z.jpg
This is the point at which I had painted it for the apocalypse. The hair tendrils were painted before gluing on and heated to bend them in that way.
The sword was airbrushed with a black/Khorne red mix transitioning to a fire dragon orange/averland yellow/flash gitz yellow mix at the tips.
The jewelry was retributor armor highlighted with liberator gold and washed with seraphim sepia before highlighting with runefang steel/liberator gold 50/50.

24891747151_54394edbd5_z.jpg
Hand painted kanji tattoo "pain with pleasure"

24354678574_e0b70e8686_z.jpg
More kanji on the blade of the sword, but otherwise complete!

Will post up the Kytan in a bit. Gotta go to gym first!

• 1 month later...

The pics of the Kytan:

24689645060_bb69300ddb_z.jpg
My first attempt at airbrushing the Kytan didn't go too well.. The Xandri dust was too dilute and ended up running into all the recesses. Felt quite gutted.

24958697636_80bbe79a75_z.jpg
I washed off the failed Xandri dust attempt and airbrushed a 50/50 mix of ironbreaker and runefang steel across the whole model. Then, I airbrushed a very light layer of 50/50 Abaddon black/Xandri dust again, followed by a 50/50 layer of Xandri dust/ushabti bone over the middle parts of the hull pieces, then a final layer of 50/50 ushabti bone/white over the very middle of the hull pieces. Then painted the trim black to prep for the metal paints.

24358156173_bde410f4db_z.jpg
I err... Wanted to go for a blue plasma type effect from the vents, but it backfired horribly (too dark). So then I just airbrushed white, red, orange, yellow and white paints over the vents again (without rinsing out the blue). Salvaged it somewhat.
The trim is retributor armor washed with sepia and highlighted with liberator gold and runefang steel over the pointed edges. Painted the spikes with metallic turquoise paint (faskolor) and pretty much done.

24617725539_f9f324daed_z.jpg
The Kytan base... So.. I was watching the GW advent calendar tutorial on how to do magma bases, wondered if I could use the same method for ice bases. Apparently, you can! So I did the magma bits according to the tutorial. For the ice parts, I painted different shades of blue (darker in the central areas and lighter on the edges by the magma islands), then covered the whole blue areas with a resin meant to give water effects (most hobby/craft stores should have this). I waited for it to dry solid, dry brushed some praxetti white over to give the effect of snow and it looked like this.

Also, the magma islands are bumpy and uneven because I glued and stuck 25mm bases onto the large bases which I drilled into so I could incorporate magnets into the base. Then I covered the glued bases with the magma effect (according to tutorial).

24867287642_2146823cb4_z.jpg
And here is the completed model. The Kytan is magnetized at the right arm (gun is glued), head, waist and feet for different poses and transport purposes.

The icy parts of the base where covered with a thick layer of Martian iron-earth, then airbrushed light blue, white, and other frost colors before it was allowed to crack (hair dryer helps immensely for this). It then cracked showing the liquid blue paints underneath, giving the appearance of ice floes with the solid ice pieces floating above. Stuck in a couple pieces of debris and voila, complete!

Hope you enjoyed it!

Archived