An effective heavy support SoB army at 2k - Dual CAD or not?

Aqui

Whilst I realise that I really need to get to grips with my Sisters at 1.5K laugh.png I'm now planning ahead to break the 2K barrier. Whilst 2K is realistic with one CAD, I wanted the option of having an army list with a bias to heavy support (and having five choices than the three allowed by a single CAD). Is it a realistic idea to pursue, or would it be better to decide on which three units to take between PE's Exorcists and Retributors?

I've made a list. Would this list be any good?

New Sisters Dual CAD 2k (140116) (1994pts)

Adepta Sororitas: Codex (2013) (Combined Arms Detachment) - Order of the Dauntless Spirit

HQ

Canoness Saffron Sera

Chainsword, Inferno Pistol, Melta Bombs, Rosarius, The Mantle of Ophelia

Troops

Battle Sister Squad one

9x Battle Sister, Battle Sister with Flamer, Battle Sister with Meltagun

Sister Superior

Boltgun, Power Sword, Upgrade to Veteran Sister Superior

Sororitas Rhino

Dozer Blade, Laud Hailer

Battle Sister Squad two

9x Battle Sister, Battle Sister with Meltagun, Battle Sister with Meltagun

Sister Superior

Sororitas Rhino

Dozer Blade, Laud Hailer

Fast Attack

Seraphim Squad

4x Seraphim, Seraphim with Two Hand Flamers, Seraphim with Two Hand Flamers

Seraphim Superior

Plasma Pistol, Power Sword

Heavy Support

Exorcist

Dozer Blade

Penitent Engine Squadron

Penitent Engine

Adepta Sororitas: Codex (2013) (Combined Arms Detachment) - Order of the Valorous Heart

HQ

Saint Celestine

Troops

Battle Sister Squad one

9x Battle Sister, Battle Sister with Flamer, Battle Sister with Flamer

Sister Superior

Sororitas Rhino

Laud Hailer

Battle Sister Squad two

9x Battle Sister, Battle Sister with Meltagun, Battle Sister with Meltagun

Sister Superior

Bolt Pistol, Boltgun, Upgrade to Veteran Sister Superior

Sororitas Rhino

Laud Hailer

Heavy Support

Exorcist

Dozer Blade

Penitent Engine Squadron

Penitent Engine

Retributor Squad

4x Retributor, 4x Retributor with Multi-Melta, Sororitas Rhino

Retributor Superior

Boltgun, Power Sword, Upgrade to Veteran Retributor Superior

Looks good to me, Aqui.

The nice thing I find about our codex, Sume, is that as long as you avoid Celestians, you can make a viable army list focussed around any of our slots as the 'heavy lifter'.

Actually with this list, I think it'll be the troops that end up doing most of the work :p

It should be fine, just watch out for CC heavy armies.

Looks good to me, Aqui.

The nice thing I find about our codex, Sume, is that as long as you avoid Celestians, you can make a viable army list focussed around any of our slots as the 'heavy lifter'.

Thats so true.  I actually find the lack of so many options at times to be less intimidating also.  While we may not get updated or all the new fancy toys.  Its always great to see the look on opponents faces when you go and shield of faith save and make it.

So, from what I can gather, Celestians are no good outside of the Command Squad. What is it about them (aside from being flightless Seraphim if I get their role correctly) that makes them an auto-exclude?

I started this topic to explore both dual CADs in general and what is most effective at 2k, both for myself and for others :) Needless to say that I'll be getting a lot of melta soon! :wub:

Edit: Blasted typos...

Problem is, they aren't even that any more.

They're just a squad of Battle Sisters with +1 attack, a useless Act of Faith (+1 S for 1 turn), a max squad size of 10, and cost 4 points or so more per model.

There is basically nothing they bring to the table that a Battle Sister squad doesn't bring for less.

The only time you'd want Celestians is if you wanted a small 5 girl squad to hold up units in melee for one turn... doing some damage at the same time. For the same cost as one Superior you get a squad full...

Sadly, there is very little call for that when we have far more efficient, cost-effective and deadly units.

Whilst my question has been answered, I would ask - when your army reaches 2K, is it worth having a dual CAD (regardless of whether it's for additional units that are limited in a single CAD), or is it better to increase the size of the units available in a single CAD (e.g. making BSS to twenty over having more ten Sister BSS)

I guess my question is tinged by the fact that in addition to the Order that I have currently (which will be added to regardless), I want to start the Valorous Heart too smile.png

Edit: I just thought about it and my own opinions are:

Single CAD:

Bigger squads - means more concentrated firepower against targets

Dual CAD:

Double everything, from more HQ's (which I suppose can be a point sink), more heavy weapons in the army. Smaller squads and able to start game in transports rather than merely using them as a mobile shield.

In the last codex where everything was cheaper, I ran 2 squads of sisters with transports, 2 dom squads, pen engines, an exorcist and a retributor squad with 2 HQ's and a battle conclave at 2000 points.

Now in this version, I had to drop the retributors.

What I'm saying is, I would need to add in another troop unit and transport, more priests, the retributors, Repentia and possibly even allies and fortifications before I was done with a single CAD. I'd likely want to upgrade all of the Rhino's to Repressors before that happened, too!

So you're looking closer to 3000 points before I'd start to consider a dual CAD :P

I've never been inclined toward Priests, although I'll have a go with my Jacobus counts-as when she's finished smile.png

I don't know . . . the codex I have says

“An Adepta Sororitas Detachment may include 0-5 Ministorum Priests. They do not take up a Force Organisation slot, and do not qualify as a mandatory HQ selection.”

Excerpt From: Games Workshop. “Codex: Adepta Sororitas (Enhanced Edition).” Games Workshop, 2013. iBooks. https://itun.es/us/n1mmR.n

Fine. I guess I'll let iBooks tag a thing on for GW. Whatever. Also, I found another typo (Organisation should be Organization). The version I have I downloaded recently, but it says it was updated 7/11/13 (July 11th for those who don't format their dates this way).

Edit: this is in fact not a typo (thanks Naminé)!

Anyway, the quote says 5 priests per detachments, so unless my version is outdated it seems a dual CAD would allow 10 priests.

Well. You learn something every day. Would you say Organise or Organize? I am a terrible speller, but spell check helpfully informs me that I am supposed to be saying the latter.

Also, when I wrote my Disciples of Zauroboes codex (which can be found in the homegrown rules forum if anyone cares) I of course said "Armour" because it is imperative to be consistent with the existing game. I have now found myself using the British spelling in favor of the American one all the time, which amuses me.

Armour sounds like Amour, because armour is love. Armor doesn't read like anything, it looks like it should have an e on the end if it doesn't have a u in it.

I stand corrected on the Detachment thing. You know, I blame Battlescribe for making that assumption - just when I was lecturing someone the other day on how unreliable Battlescribe is, too!

I think that rule is unfortunately worded and it isn't the intent to limit priests to a single detachment. They could definitely have made it clearer by stating "A single Sororitas detachment in an army may" or "Adepta Sororitas detachments in an army may".

Archived