Alpha Legion Betrayal at Calth

Lord Punterer

Hey folks, technically speaking this first picture isn't a work in progress individually, but for the army as a whole. My test model for 30k Alpha Legion vaguely based on this tutorial

and since it's just a test it's a little rough (the photos too), but you get the picture msn-wink.gif

Anyway, here it is, and hopefully there will be more to come soon.

http://imgur.com/qDZWFdv

http://imgur.com/QF1359R

And, technically speaking, this is my first model since high school, so I'm pretty happy about it to be honest.

Anyway, usual C&C welcome, etc.

There's Glazes and Washes, one is used to alter the base colour, the other runs into the recesses of the model, creating instant shading to the model. Both are typically applied directly over the base colour, either to the entire model or to select areas.

Cheers,

Jono

Looking at the tutorial and then your model, it looks as though the Wash was a little too light. The places that stand out are the vents in the mouth grill, and on the power pack, as well as on the boots, and on the little grooves on the back of the legs and on the legs above the knee pads. A second go-around with the Wash with a detail brush would really add to this model.

As you are just starting back to the Hobby, another alternative which you may find helpful would be to Wash the entire model, and then rather than touching up mistakes, repainting the entire base colour leaving the recesses. Whilst taking a little more effort and time, the result will be much more consistent.

As for "just be more neat" that comes with practice and familiarity with your tools. My best bit of advice is bring the model up to your eye line, rather than hunching over the model. It's much more comfortable and you'll find you have more patience when painting.

Cheers,

Jono

Archived