[HH1.0] Black Shields Tactica

exsanguis

Same reason retreating/units falling back units count towards kill tallies. They're effectively dead and out of the fight.

Fluffwise it could be any number of things, teleportation as you say, maybe they retreat into the shadow plane, it could be anything.

How do people feel drop podding black shields can fare? Off hand I like the idea of being able to get up close and personal and using the close range of the reaver squads to good effect, however I have some reservations...

1) the dread claw costs would add up. Fast.

2) being capped at 9 or 10 man squads would really hamper your ability to deliver hard hitting units in any kind of quantity.

I figure assault Rams storm Eagles or Khadrybis claws would be handy for termies or larger squads, but as a whole could this build work?

• 3 weeks later...

That's a plan I am currently thinking. Outlanders pirate raiding force with the reaver, ram, eagle or two and possibly a karybdis or dreadclaw. DSing termies and support squads depending on what I need at the time, 15 man marauder squads in the eagles. Gotta figure out how to get a Levi in the match, can it go in a Karybdis? 

Hmm can Blackshield armies take the same LoWs that normal legion armies can? I am looking for an excuse to bring a strike wing of Vultures.

If anything that feels more fluffy imo, rather than the regular Astartes vehicles accessible to the Legions, your blackshields have scavanged/stolen/bought a wing of non astartes flyers to assist them.

In the current set of rules Apothecaries can't be attached to Marauder squads, no.

Maybe they' (FW) will expand on the list of units Apothecaries can be attached to in the forthcoming revised LA:CAL ... who knows.

At the time being, a Primus Medicae would be the way to go .... but given the fact you can only include a single Consul and the Primus Medicae is a support officer, it's rather unlikely you have one in a Blackshields list IMHO.

That sucks, Im thinking of full black shield breacher force with attached apothecaries would be cool but expensive especially the +1 T which would almost make them like 40k plague marines :) Edited by teutonicavenger

That sucks, Im thinking of full black shield breacher force with attached apothecaries would be cool but expensive especially the +1 T which would almost make them like 40k plague marines :)

Which suck themself so why bring them?

Edited by Gorgoff

That sucks, Im thinking of full black shield breacher force with attached apothecaries would be cool but expensive especially the +1 T which would almost make them like 40k plague marines :)

Because I'm a stubborn idiot who like breachers too much :D

Because I'm a stubborn idiot who like breachers too much :D
Just like me.

I love that unit.

Non rules question:

What's the fluff explention of "Shadow of Oblivion" in Outlanders rules? Is it some kind of emergency teleport-escape when things are getting rough? And if it is, why do they count as being destroyed?

Carcharodons are always referred to as running away when the fighting doesn't go their way, only to reappear to strike from a better locaiton.

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but the mass teleportation, ally status, constant use of "Reaver" and deep space ("Outlanders") motifs made me think this was definitely inspired by the lore and redesign of the Carcharodons (Lord Reaper of the Void, Reavers of the Outer Darkness, Void Reavers).

Maybe Outlanders just don't stick around for losing fights, especially if their main goal is to simply survive and carry on fighting. They don't strike me as a heroic last stand type of Black Shield force.

Pretty much this ^

Seeing as they don't serve the Warmaster or Emperor to the bitter end, they see more value in their individual life, so why die today when you can carry on being a planetary warlord or fight more tomorrow?

That sucks, Im thinking of full black shield breacher force with attached apothecaries would be cool but expensive especially the +1 T which would almost make them like 40k plague marines :smile.:

you can do that, Breachers can be joined by Apothecaries, just the Marauder squads cant be. 

• 2 weeks later...

How are people finding Orphans of war?

Initially the buffs are pretty potent, the entire squad rerolling 1's to hit and effectively Leadership 10, but it requires a fair bit of work to keep at least two squads within range of each other and once you start taking loses it really cascades quite quickly. I normally find myself having to play a concentrated flank with all of my infantry hammering one line with any Dreads I have playing a defensive line blocker on the empty flank to prevent being surrounded. Very fun though.

Crazy idea?

I was looking for some delivery for my troops (outlanders, yes, I know they can DS) but the Stormeagle (which is cool) is expensive, then I realized that with the LoW Sub Orbital Strike Wing I can borrow 3 arvus lighter. Pretty cheap transports and easy victory points, but hey! That frees a lot my Fast Attack slots and is not really expensive.

Thoughts?

Its a very slow delivery mechanism, they must start in reverse, meaning the earliest they can enter is Turn 2, disembark Turn 3 and start assaulting Turn 4. If the Lighters dont come in Turn 2, then the units inside them are effectively not going to get into combat.

Well, the idea was not to deliver assault troops, but guns (veterans w/ 2 ML (outflank and siege consul for tank hunters), support squads w/ pariah flamers, siege breakers or even seeker squads) behind enemy lines. I don't really know, Dono, just playing my mind right now with the idea.

Slipstreams, not all, but can't afford 3 stormeagles (in points or in cash :tongue.: ) and my idea is deploy one Xiphon, one Primaris and hopefully one Skyhunters squad :smile.:

EDIT

Just something like that

HQ        

Nemean Reaver   180  

ELITES                    

Legion veteran x10, 2x ML, outflank 250      

TROOPS        

Marauders X15, 3 PW, 15 shotgun 300  

Siege Breaker x10, 2x GravGun 255  

Support x10, pariah flamers 175                

FAST        

Storm eagle   210  

Primaris lightning 4 Kraken Missiles, Ground-tracking Auguries 195  

Xyphon   205                

LOW         Arvus Wing x3 225    

TOTAL 1995

Edited by Maximvs

Hmm, fair enough. And trust me, not going with Storm Eagles is saving you from a REAL mule of a kit to built.

But I wouldn't go for Lighters, honestly.

Since Outlanders lets you Deepstrike, why not, if possible, take a Damocles Command Rhino to help with reserves (as well as give you an Orbital Bombardment) as well as make use of its 24" No Scatter Bubble?

Besides, Outlanders only lets you shove up to half of your Infantry Units without a Dedicated Transport into Deepstrike Reserves.

I like the idea of using Endryd Haar in an Outlanders army. He picks 3 Marauder Squads to Scout forward and then you use the Wrought By War trait to Deep Strike a few units of Terminators with combi-weapons. Flavour with anti-tank to taste.

Would be a very aggressive army, but that suits a former XIIth Legionary. :)

Hmm, fair enough. And trust me, not going with Storm Eagles is saving you from a REAL mule of a kit to built.

But I wouldn't go for Lighters, honestly.

Since Outlanders lets you Deepstrike, why not, if possible, take a Damocles Command Rhino to help with reserves (as well as give you an Orbital Bombardment) as well as make use of its 24" No Scatter Bubble?

Besides, Outlanders only lets you shove up to half of your Infantry Units without a Dedicated Transport into Deepstrike Reserves.

The idea behind that was a SM airccav type army (so no ground vehicles or footsloggers if possible).

About outlanders, that's not how I've readed it. Is not that it lets you only keep half infantry in DS reserves, but that you may DS up to half of your infantry units? But maybe I'm wrong, dunno. Whatever it is, in this case (air cav example list shown above) they're not DSing as per the outlanders rule, but keep on reserve to join the battlefield inside transports. So everything will be in reserve. Is that wrong?

Edited by Maximvs