[HH1.0] Black Shields Tactica

exsanguis

Since you can choose to use the Deepstrike rule or not, you should be ok.

But, if you're using Outlanders and not mass deepstriking, I don't see the point, honestly.

And if you are, you still need something on the board T1 or you lose.

You also have to worry about the Shadow Of Oblivion rule possibly doing way more damage than possible.

Edited by Slipstreams

Ehhhhh you might be better off getting a 2nd Bolt Pistol if you want an Assaulty Blackshield Army.

Marauders already have BP & Chainaxe and a 2nd BP gives them Gunslinger which lets them fire both in the shooting phase.

Since they're pistols, it doesn't restrict charging and force a disordered charge like the Pariah Bolter. You lose ~4" of range but keep any charge bonuses.

+++

For Breachers? You rarely want to be the one charging with them so I'd honestly keep the Regular Bolters for the increased range.

Edited by Slipstreams

I've been using Pariah Bolters simply because it makes using existing models easier. I'm sure most of us have Bolter models lying around far more than perfectly setup chainaxe/dual BP models. Apparently Pariah Bolters have no weapons casing so they have exposed internals, sort of like a pipe-gun. I wonder if FW will be making official kits for Black Shield wargear and things like Marauders, Reaver Lords, and the Nemean Reaver.

Apparently, Blackshields might not get any actual kits, sadly. Characters? Maybe. But until further notice, it looks like the Transfers are all they're getting for now.

Well, if you give your Breachers Flamers or Meltaguns, Pariah Bolters make sense since you can then Shoot -> Charge. -1" due to their armour but still good to avoid getting shot at.

This is a similar discussion to the value of Hammer of Olympia's "Hail of Fire". Basically, you're better off rapid-firing bolters and making a Disordered Charge, than you are firing bolt pistols and making a normal charge.

True Grit vs MEQs = 3.61 kills

10 Marines, 10 bolt pistol shots, 6.66 hits, 3.33 wounds, 1.11 kills.

10 Marines, 30 chainsword swings, 15 hits, 7.5 wounds, 2.5 kills.

True Grit with "Hail of Fire" vs MEQs = 3.88 kills

10 Marines, 20 bolter shots, 13.33 hits, 6.66 wounds, 2.22 kills.

10 Marines, 20 chainsword swings, 10 hits, 5 wounds, 1.66 kills.

Whilst it's not much, 6.5% more kills is still 6.5% more kills. Also works nicely for Breachers, like Slipstreams said. This applies exactly the same way with Pariah bolters on Marauders.

But the only ranged option we should consider for Marauders is the Astartes shotgun! Best of both worlds, with a S4 Assault 2 weapon and 4 S4 AP4 attacks on the charge! Eat your heart out World Eaters!

Ah! But, Dear Callium! Marauder Squads have BP & Chainaxe Standard with the Option to buy a second Bolt Pistol.

That means 2 Shots at <12" AND no disordered charge!

Assuming you can have Shotgun, Chainaxe AND Bolt Pistol then that seems an awesome way to go.

But I'll always go akimbo pistols, or even a mix for fun, really emphasize the theme.

Plus, then with outlanders and rad grenades you can have troops choices of pseudo super destroyers.

Edited by Charlo

Conveniently, FW has this: https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-GB/Space-Marine-Legion-Deliverance-Pattern-Shotguns

Are these the only shotguns you can buy en masse? They seem to be RG/Mor Deythan specific due to being Deliverance-Pattern.

I don't think anyone could blame you for using them as "normal" shotguns.

Rapiers are Artillery.

For Talons and Vehicle Squadrons I'm inclined to say count each individual.

Unsure how the rules are written, but seeing as even talons are "deployed as a unit" up until the beginning of the battle they are just one "vehicle unit".

It's a similar weird situation as coils of the hydra and needing transports argument in terms of sequencing.

For Dreads, it comes down to how you/your group interprets the Talon rules and all that pertains to it.

For Tank Squadrons, possibly 1 squad of 1-3 tanks counts as 1 selection.