The Expeditions of Forgeworld Halo Prime (Pictures)

MoGuy

Okay guys, small bat rep!

1850 points vs. Daemon Kin

My List:

Inquisition

Ordo Malleus Inquisitor (Inquisitor Kraken) w/ 2x Daemon Blades, Power Armour, 1x Servo Skull, Empyrian Brain Mines, The Liber Heresius and Mastery Level 1

Ordo Xenos Inquisitor w/ Needle Pistol, Force Sword, Power Armour, Psychotroke and Rad Grenades and Mastery Level 1

Henchmen Warband:

1x Priest w/ Power Axe

5x Crusaders

6x Death Cult Assassins

1x Land Raider Crusader w/ Dozer Blade and Psibolt Ammunition

Henchmen Warband:

2x Acolytes w/ Bolters

1x Psyker

Henchmen Warband:

See above

Cult Mechanicus  (Formation from the Start Collecting Box)

Tech-Priest Dominus w/ Volkite Blaster, Makro Pistol, Converterfield

10x Vanguard w/ Omnispex and 3x Plasma

1x Onager Dunecralwer w/ Icarus Array

Skitarii

10x Vanguard w/ Omnispex and 3x Arc Rifles

6x Rangers w/ Omnispex

1x Sydonian Dragoons

1x Sydonian Dragoon

5x Ruststalkers

5x Infiltrators w/ Omniscient Mask and Tasers/Blasters

1850 points

List of the Daemon Kin (approximately):

1x Greater Unclean One

2x Nurgle Daemon Princes w/ Wings and Instant Death swords

1x Lord Of Change

1x Tzeench Daemon Prince 

2x Squads of Pink Horrors

This game was really interesting! The Daemon List was basically just MCs and some Horros for more Warp Charges. I had hoped to fight some more basic infantry etc. but it worked out.

Inquisition:

Inquisitor Kraken got Eternal Warrior, FNP, Poison (2+), Furious Charge, Rampage and +3 Attacks as powers for his Daemon Blades. What a beast! :') But let me start differently:

I deployed the Land Raider with my two Inquisitors, the Dominus and the CC Warband inside. Inquisitor Kraken got Nr. 1 on the Warlord Trait table, which allows him and his unit to choose if they want to pass or fail any leadership tests they have to make. This is the best result for this group, as it allows the Priest to auto pass his LD test, which enabled me to always use one of his abilities. It also negated Psychic Shriek  on my Deathstar because I could just choose to pass the LD test.  Same goes for the powers of the Liber Heresius. Awesome!

Before the game started I was concerned that the Land Raider would just get blown to bits because my opponent had lance weapons. But not only did he shrug off any fire directed at him (including the Strenght D Psychic Power the Daemons have), he also managed to put a wound on the Lord of Change with his many twin linked shots. 

Other than that I just scouted him up on Turn 1 with the Liber Heresius and on Turn 2 I drove up to the Greater Unclean One and dropped off my Warband. The big Daemon had Toughness 10(!) because of Iron Arm (Toughness 9 because of the Rad Grenades) and I still annihilated him! I think Inquisitor Kraken alone took him down (he had successfully cast Warp Speed so he had 9 attacks with re-roll to hit and to-wound). The Psychotroke Grenades rolled up a 2 which meant that the big Daemon only had 1 attack in return. 

I then got charged by the two Nurgle Princes but my Crusaders just tanked the wounds. This was on Turn 3. On my Turn 3 I had every single unit of my CC units into close combat with the two Daemon Princes. Needless to say, they got mowed down. After that I just plopped the survivors of my Henchmen Deathstar back into the Land Raider to protect them from the flying Daemons who were raining a ridiculous amount of Psychic Powers down on them. 

The Ruststalkers and Infiltrators did alright. Monstrous Creatures are just not their prime targets and with the incredibly beefy stats the Princes have (WS 9, Ini 7 or smth like that) they were brought down to two models each. The Infiltrators however took down the last two wounds from the last Nurgle Prince. Good job boys! The Ruststalkers, however, were just underwhelming...

My Onager only lived one round but he managed to shoot down two wounds from the Lord of change. My Vanguards then just peppered them with shots until Turn 4 when they finally killed the big bird.

With only a single Daemon Prince and some Horros left, my opponent conceded and we ended the game. 

Conclusion:

• Icarus Onager is awesome against Daemons. Need to bring more next time.
  • The Deathstar works, even when only one or two models can actually wound the target (T10 Nurgle Daemon). If I imagine that there would have been 290 points of Space Marines instead of the Nurgle Daemon, they would have performed even better
  • A Land Raider is "surprisingly" durable! I thought it would be easier for my enemy to bring him down with concentrated firepower but he proved to be quite resilient. Seems to be worth his points.
  • Plasma Vanguards are very powerful if they get to re-roll their misses
  • Ruststalkers didn't do anything apart from soaking up fire/Psychic Powers. I'll replace them in this list with something else. Suggestions are welcome. :)
  • Crusaders are the true protectors of the weak! Screw SPEHS MAHREENS and their fancy armour! Crusaders are much more badass, considering that they have a normal human statline. It also seems that an even mix between Crusaders and Death Cult Assassins is the way to go. Of my five Crusaders only 1 was alive by the end of the game so I would recommend a minimum of 4 Crusaders. 
  • The Ordo Xenos Inquisitor with his Psychotroke Grenade is extremely useful! ...And I just realised that I completely forgot to use the Psyk-Out Grenades which would have reduced the Daemons to Ini 1. 
  • The Rangers did nothing. T_T 
  • Small Warbands with just two Acolytes + Psyker are actually very viable. They are so cheap that the enemy often won't even target them and waste shooting on 20 points worth of models. 

I'll leave you with two photos of my henchmen fighting the Nurgle Princes:

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/64552f-1460747403.jpg

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/8abcc4-1460747415.jpg

Nice! Looks like fun. :D however I disagree about swapping out the ruststalkers for something else as i think they can have their place in an army. Against daemons okay yeah something else would be better but I recently played a game where they completely annihilated a unit of termies before they even got to swing at me.

Most importantly, however, is to harvest the data from this battle. So what would you 100% keep the same next time and what would you change? Or what would you have if you didn't know who you where going up against?

I recently played a game where they completely annihilated a unit of termies before they even got to swing at me. 

Yes, I had written something like that in the Hard Data Thread. A Squad of Ruststalkers with the two Inquisitors annihilated a unit of Centurions in a game I played. But that is their role after all - destroying stuff with 2+ armour, preferably a unit that has low initiative/Power Fists/Hammers etc. 

Most importantly, however, is to harvest the data from this battle. So what would you 100% keep the same next time and what would you change? Or what would you have if you didn't know who you where going up against? 

What to keep:

• The Henchmen Deathstar with the Inquisitors and the Land Raider, along with the Dominus
  • The Psykers, because otherwise the Psychic Phase is a nightmare against any army that has access to it
  • The Dragoons, as they proved again that they will attract attention, thus taking away firepower that could hurt my other, more valuable units
  • The Ruststalkers/Infiltrators because one CC Deathstar isn't enough. An army geared up for shooting would just concentrate fire on the Warband. I need other CC units to threaten the enemy's units

What to change:

• Replace Rangers with Vanguards
  • Size down Vanguards(?) to get more Onagers in
  • Alternative: Dropping all Skitarii units and instead taking 4x Kataphon Breachers w/ Arc Rifles, 5x Kataphon Destroyers w/ 2x Plasma (+2x Flamers), 3x Grav, two Squads of 9x Corpuscarii Priests and one Squad of 10x Fulgurite Priests. Give Dominus the Rayment of the Technomartyr and plopp him in the Kataprhons to take down fliers

The alternative will give me the same mass-shooting that the Vanguards would give me and the Electro Priests are all units that can do really well in CC, thus replacing the Ruststalkers/Infiltrators. 

The other changes would just gear the list more towards a TAC approach. 

Glad to hear all that hard work paid off Mo! Definitely going to have to get some inquisition elements for my army now. Is there a new Inquisition codex out after the 6th edition one?

Love that Kraken went beast mode with his Daemon Blade rolls and Land Raiders always surprise me on how tough they actually are. 

Is there a new Inquisition codex out after the 6th edition one?

Yea...no. The Inquisition Codex one can buy right now was written in 6th Edition. However, once 7th Edition came out the codex got slightly updated (e.g. got the Psychic Powers etc.). But that update was so small that I wouldn't say that the Inquisition has a 7th Edition codex. I really hope that we will get a proper update of the codex one day. 

Glad to hear all that hard work paid off Mo! Definitely going to have to get some inquisition elements for my army now.

Thank you. :) Go get yourself some Inquisition! If you don't want to buy the expensive models (two Crusaders cost 12€), you can really easily use stand-ins. 

Fantasy Dark Elves Witches or Assassins = Deathcult Assassins

Fantasy Flagellants = Arco Flagellants

Anything = Acolytes

Fantasy Priests = Ministrorum Priests

CSM Possessed = Daemonhosts

Grey Knights or a Mini + Terminator Shields = Crusaders

Love that Kraken went beast mode with his Daemon Blade rolls

Right now I firmly believe that the Daemon Blades taken as pairs are borderline broken. Whatever you roll, your Inquisitor will either get really tanky (FNP, Eternal Warrior, Vampyr) or will munch Blobs (+3 Attacks, +3 S/Poison 2+, Rampage, Furious Charge) or will just annihilate elite units (AP2, Poison 2+ etc.). Combo this with Rad and Psychotroke Grenades and those two Inquisitors alone are a pretty brutal force. 

Speaking of, I am currently waiting on a second Inquisitor model (the one with the coat and the flame weapon) and some more stuff (model for a Priest and a Valkyrie). I also bought some Fantasy Flagellants from eBay and I'll convert them into Electro-Priests. I can also use them as count-ins for the Arco Flagellants. Soon I'll have the chance to finally just drop a group of Flagellants from my Valkyrie and whatever is left standing will just wreck face. ^^

Corpuscarii Electro-Priests

So, I have decided to get myself some Electro-Priests. Unfortunately the kit is just too expensive. 33€ for 5 guys and those 5 guys aren't even nearly enough to be a viable size on the tabletop. 

Thus, I got myself some cheap fantasy Flagellants and am now starting to convert them into Electro-Priests.

My work so far:

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/2422c4-1461090341.jpg

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/31c7fd-1461090333.jpg

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/f789a2-1461090373.jpg

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/1fae6d-1461090382.jpg

All in all, I have 20 Flagellants to convert and paint. I got my inspiration from these conversions

I am currently kitbashing mostly their arms with stuff from the Necrons and Skitarii Kits. For the heads I have ordered some Dark Eldar Wrack Masks from eBay which will hopefully make them look more grimdark. This will be a hell of a lot of work but I hope that in the end I'll have 20 "home-grown" Electro-Priests that look decent. 

I have also painted all my Inquisition Crusaders. I LOVE these models so much! ^_^

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/fa3d81-1461090741.jpg

@DestinyFish: Another perk of making the models myself is that I can make them as diverse as I choose to. :)

The Crusaders really look like they would fit into Dark Souls! I also think that they convey the look of "we are the defenders of humanity" better than 90% of the space marines. They will take the blows for their comrades!

I may have to steal your idea. I have some old pewter flagallents and old daemon hunter models I may use. Great work and thanks for the idea. 

You have my blessings, if you provide some nice pictures of your converted models! :P

Some updates of my Electro Priests:

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/9adf7a-1461418771.jpg

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/27916d-1461418826.jpg

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/c54041-1461419012.jpg

As you can see I have added some pins to their heads (made from paperclips) and I have bought some Dark Eldar Wrack Masks which I glued to their faces. It takes a lot of cutting and fiddling around with the different parts and Green Stuff to get the right poses etc. 

I have also picked up my Valkyrie yesterday and holy moly it is HUGE! That flying behemoth is almost twice as long as my Land Raider! I always thought it would be much more compact and smaller but after I had assembled the Valkyrie it turns out that this is a really big gunship! I'm gonna paint her up in the standard Cadian Camo colours, so expect lots of green and some brown tones. This actually fits in quite well with the blue colour of the rest of my army and it adds to the idea that my Forgeworld gets reinforcements from other planets which would bring their own colour schemes with them. Once I have finished painting her, the Valkyrie will definitely be a nice eye-catcher on the Tabletop and I can't wait to finally field her into battle! ^^

Nice conversions moGuy I can't wait to see these guys all painted up smile.png will we be seeing a shot of the whole army soon?

Thanks. :) Sure, have some (not very well lit) army fotos:

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/3926aa-1461421290.jpg

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/c4f72a-1461421303.jpg

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/67329b-1461421330.jpg

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/cee51c-1461421359.jpg

Those are all the models I have at home, hanging on a wall. Except for the Land Raider, all of my WIP models are scattered on my table and are waiting to be painted or converted. :)

The foul stench of rotten flesh mixed itself with the smell of fresh blood and cries of agony. Hulking monstrosities carried their grotesque bodies with astonishing speed towards the second Maniple of the Explorator Fleet Invictus. Angry ballistic data flooded Romero T-1's Cogitator as the Servo Skulls ahead of the group send their assessments to their masters. The Vanguard Alpha felt something akin to fear as the Xenos hurled themselves toward him and his group, cutting down Skitarii like wheat. "Estimated time of impact... two minutes and three seconds", Romero thought as combat drugs were dumped into his bloodstream and the rush of adrenaline that burned in his heart was washed away to be replaced with grim resolve and a focus only a machine could match. With a static crunch of his noosphere, Romero activated his Maniple's combat protocols and gave his orders. "Onagers, engage the target! We must secure the artefact!"

Behind the groups of Skitarii three Onagers anchored down their stabilisers. The air vibrated and a penetrating hum echoed through the canyon as the Neutron Lasers amassed energy.

"Fire!"

Shrieking like a banshee, the air was split apart as three blue rays of energy crashed into the advancing Xenos, penetrating their bodies and exploding dozens of the ones that were advancing behind the first wave. But it wasn't enough. Not nearly. Enraged the beasts reared back their heads and a guttural howl echoed from the stone walls of the canyon.

A voice more machine than man was transmitted to Romero's noosphere: " Striking Squad standing by, ready to engage the enemy"

"Vanguards, advance! Striking Squad, flank the Xenos!"

Two dozen Infiltrators, hanging from the left cliff like robotic spiders, jumped down into the fray, Flachette Blasters tearing away rotten flesh and Taser Goats boiling the muddy blood in the veins of the grotesque mutants.

The Vanguards pressed on, trajectories appearing on their visual cogitators, guiding their fire as if the Omnissiah himself were lending them his eyesight. The second wave of Xenos was cut down swiftly and perished under the sudden pressure displayed by the Skitarii forces. But their resistance soon started to slow down as more beasts poured forth from their nests that were hidden in the endless tunnels that saturated the canyon's walls.

Romero and his squad fought with vigour and a display of skill that would have put any normal human to shame. Like a single entity they raised their weapons, tracked their target for a few milliseconds and unloaded a precise volley of fire towards their most vulnerable parts. But for every monster they eliminated, five new took its place and soon the Xenos were upon them. In a whirl of claws and fangs, they tore apart the first Vanguards without slowing down. Twisted bones leaking deadly poison were sunken into flesh, multiple arms grabbed their limps and broke their bones.

Romero knew that at this rate they would all die before they could even reach the artefact. Parrying a flurry of blows with his Power Mace, he took a quick look over the shoulder of the beast in front of him. There were hundreds more, spilling forth from the deeps of their burrows to reap new prey. But they wouldn't make it easy for them. Romero dodged another blow from the beast and slammed his Mace into its ugly face. Crackling energy coursed through the Xeno's body, frying his neurones. With an audible sound, the beast's bones broke and it collapsed spasming on the ground.

"Motherbase, this is Alpha Romero, requesting air support", the Skitarius transmitted.

"Squad leader Romero this is Motherbase. Air Support is already on their way, t minus 60 seconds."

The Alpha relayed the new information to the Maniple.

"Disengage and prepare for impact!", he commanded.

Prying themselves from the grips of close combat, the surviving Skitarii tried to make their way towards the Onagers who gave fire support against their pursuers.

"Gear One this is Eagle One, arriving at the destination. Clear zone for fire support", a human voice commlinked.

"Eagle One this is Gear One, zone is clear", replied Romero.

"Roger that. Give 'em hell boys!"

Five Valkyries appeared in the distance, quickly closing in. The sound of their engines drowned out the houls of the Xenos as they came screaming in like angels of death. In a spearhead formation they flew over the mutants and the canyon trembled as volleys of rockets exploded amidst the beasts, claiming their lives by the dozens.

After just a few minutes the Valkyries made a u-turn, rushing over the Skitarii's heads.

"Sector clear. Proceed with operation. Good luck, Gear One"

The Skitarii began to move through the canyon again, stepping over hundreds of dead mutants. The Artefact was in reach now...

Valkyrie

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/b116cb-1461520725.jpg

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/4bf0a3-1461520738.jpg

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/d44e36-1461520781.jpg

Somehow I just had the scene I just discribed in my mind while painting the Valkyrie. It is just such an epic model and I wanted to share this little scenario of mine.

I tried to do some freehand nose art on the Valkyrie and I think it turned out alright. It's not great but I am content with it. The only thing that is left to do, is the base. I hope you like it. smile.png

Thanks buddy. :) English is not my first language, yes. I do study it however and I really like ye English of old! We are currently talking about different texts of Shakespear at university, as well as some less known authors. Their play of words is really quite inspiring.

Also, since most of the 40K content, one can find online is written or spoken in English, many people tend to use some English terminology in their games like "Crew shaken/stunned" or "Feel No Pain". 

I'm glad that you like my little prosaic venture into those things. I once planned to write a whole bat rep like that but that is just too much work... :/

Valkyrie

I finished painting the Valkyrie and its base. Hope you like it!

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/8ede88-1462021662.jpg

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/a5ff38-1462021672.jpg

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/4e2e35-1462021687.jpg

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/c029b5-1462021700.jpg

http://www.bilder-upload.eu/upload/7e9120-1462021711.jpg

I am eager to field her into battle. 

Guys it is a bit lonely here, talking to myself. Maybe some of you could give a tutorial as to how I can freehand e.g. the scroll on my Valkyrie. I mean the scroll is alright IMHO since I am just not really good at free-hand-drawing. But I always appreciate constructive feedback and it keeps me motivated to share my results. Also: Do you guys want to read more of those short scenes?

• 4 months later...

Time to revive this thread! I have to apologise for laying dormant for so long. To be fair, I haven't played much 40K as of lately, since I had not as much time for the hobby as I would have liked to have.

However, I just ordered two Secutarii Peltast sets from Forgeworld. Once they arrive I'll expand my force by 20 Secutarii. The results I shall post here. 

Time to revive this thread! I have to apologise for laying dormant for so long. To be fair, I haven't played much 40K as of lately, since I had not as much time for the hobby as I would have liked to have.

However, I just ordered two Secutarii Peltast sets from Forgeworld. Once they arrive I'll expand my force by 20 Secutarii. The results I shall post here. 

WB, brother!  Looking forward to seeing some of the new Secutarii up here.

Archived