Carcharodons novel by Robbie McNiven

b1soul

Nowadays, every WH novel needs a mortal pov. Think back to McNeils UM books. Nearly 100% Astartes as main characters with mortals just as sidekicks.

I may be wrong but I think that ADB did a great job in introducing mortals as main characters. And because of that, I don't want to miss them.

Wrath of Iron without the mortal pov (and yes, there is a female as well) would lack the ability to represent the cold efficiency and the nearly soulless characteristics.

Just going to point out that the human viewpoints in the early Ultramarines novels are actually still the most memorable ones for me. I even remember emailing Graham about the hospital scene in Warriors of Ultramar at the very end, after a normal man saved Ventris's bum. Nevermind the lho-stick smoking gangers. There also was an Inquisitor-in-disguise and various officials in Nightbringer, and Guardsmen-survivors from Storm of Iron in Dead Sky, Black Sun.

Human PoVs aren't something that appeared with AD-B, even if he did it pretty well. They've always been around. It'd be horribly silly if they'd only really entered the stage around 2009/10 as important parts of the novels.

Of course, I entirely agree that having those contrasting mortal viewpoints really helps the books and hammers home the contrast between space marines and the regular folk. Not every novel needs them (Death of Integrity for example didn't; it had two Chapters and the AdMech to offer enough contrast points for each faction, for example), but the more monstrous your space marines, the better a job the mortals can serve. Night Lords, Iron Hands, Carcharodons, Space Wolves, White Scars, they all have something that makes them "other" and abnormal, so them having Octavia, Septimus, or Ilya with them is a great boon.

Not to overegg the discussion about a female mortal lead, but;

You're right in saying "rookie female cop struggles to prove herself to superiors" is a bit of a trope, but what with this being a novel about Carcharodons and Night Lords I don't think it's spoilers to say this won't have a chipper, cop-rescues-kitten-from-burning-building ending. On that topic, it may interest people to know that Rannick was originally written as a male character. With the whole novel finished I decided to switch her to female, and the only changes made were to the pronouns, so none of it plot or characterisation-wise was written with "female character" in mind. I hope the change doesn't reek of poorly attempted tokenism, but I wanted to help differentiate her and pay homage to some great past characters, like the aforementioned Calpurnia or Judge Anderson (the level of influence Dredd/2000AD had on the creation and the development of the Adeptus Arbites still staggers me). 

Anyway, I'm really glad people have like what they've read so far!

True, but you are in for a harsh treat Robbie, especially after your Legacy of Russ. I would be very scrupulous to content of each page

Today's advent story is a Carcharodons tie-in called The Reaping Time!

http://www.blacklibrary.com/prod-home/advent/the-reaping-time-ebook.html

The human Imperium is vast indeed, and not all worlds are happy with the terms that grant them the Emperor’s protection. When the Carcharadons land on the mining planet of Zartak, instead of being welcomed, they are treated with suspicion and hostility by its population of miners. What dark secrets does this planet hide, and how far will its inhabitants go to protect them, even if it means pitting themselves against such powerful adversaries as the Adeptus Astartes? With both sides pursuing their own agenda, bloody conflict can be the only outcome.

The human Imperium is vast indeed, and not all worlds are happy with the terms that grant them the Emperor’s protection. When the Carcharadons land on the mining planet of Zartak, instead of being welcomed, they are treated with suspicion and hostility by its population of miners. What dark secrets does this planet hide, and how far will its inhabitants go to protect them, even if it means pitting themselves against such powerful adversaries as the Adeptus Astartes? With both sides pursuing their own agenda, bloody conflict can be the only outcome.

And tis a good story! I'm pumped for the Red Tithe now. Well done Robbie!

Wow, let's see if DarkChaplain likes it too, and if so I've achieved the approval of the yin and the yang of reviewers, and brought balance to the Force warp :wink:

First time I bought a BL e-book / short story / you know what I mean. Thanks to their recent cooperation with Amazon, I can now buy BL e-books without having a credit card! :D

Curious how it will be but with Heri already being keen about it, I may assume that it'll be good. ;)

Gonna get this after payday.

Preferred the WIP cover but 'never judge a book by it's cover' or something.

Raven Guard successor vs Night Lords sounds like a match made in heaven.

We will see. Yes short was awesome, NL vs sharks - awesome. We will see how author will do it in the end. It's all depends on him, his imagination and his abilities to mismerise us with his prose

Wow, let's see if DarkChaplain likes it too, and if so I've achieved the approval of the yin and the yang of reviewers, and brought balance to the Force warp :wink:

Haha, I'll see about getting to it soon. I'm still working my way through Star Wars: Battlefront: Twilight Company (oh how I wish they'd dropped the game tagline...) and wanted to get through the Rogue One novelization before thursday when the audiobook for John Gwynne's Wrath is finally supposed to hit (after having been pushed back another week and being a month late on the hardback) so I get to finish the series this year.

And still failures new releases come tumbling one over the other. And on, and on...

Fingers crossed that I'll manage to squeeze in a few shorts here and there still. Got Fixed waiting too on the kindle...

I read the short story on my way to the office this morning. Now I cannot wait for Red Tithe. As a Night Lords fan,  I found rather amusing how the Carcharodon's captain greets the mining world's council.

Top class work, RobMac!

I genuinely hope fans of the VIII will enjoy the book as much as Carcharodon players - the Night Lords are my favourite Traitor Legion, so I hope I've done them justice and given them fair treatment. 

Haha, I'll see about getting to it soon. I'm still working my way through Star Wars: Battlefront: Twilight Company (oh how I wish they'd dropped the game tagline...) and wanted to get through the Rogue One novelization before thursday when the audiobook for John Gwynne's Wrath is finally supposed to hit (after having been pushed back another week and being a month late on the hardback) so I get to finish the series this year.

And still failures new releases come tumbling one over the other. And on, and on...

Fingers crossed that I'll manage to squeeze in a few shorts here and there still. Got Fixed waiting too on the kindle...

Jokes aside, all creators really appreciate reviews of every size, shape and form. Just keep up the great work! 

I read the short story on my way to the office this morning. Now I cannot wait for Red Tithe. As a Night Lords fan,  I found rather amusing how the Carcharodon's captain greets the mining world's council.

Top class work, RobMac!

I genuinely hope fans of the VIII will enjoy the book as much as Carcharodon players - the Night Lords are my favourite Traitor Legion, so I hope I've done them justice and given them fair treatment. 

Jokes aside, all creators really appreciate reviews of every size, shape and form. Just keep up the great work! 

we will see - but I can give you my hope and belief for now :biggrin.: In my case it's the biggest appraisal :biggrin.: 

"I genuinely hope fans of the VIII will enjoy the book as much as Carcharodon players - the Night Lords are my favourite Traitor Legion, so I hope I've done them justice and given them fair treatment."

Oh no Robbie...! What have you done. You'll never escape bias accusations now! Oh the post-humanity of it all :D

"I genuinely hope fans of the VIII will enjoy the book as much as Carcharodon players - the Night Lords are my favourite Traitor Legion, so I hope I've done them justice and given them fair treatment."

Oh no Robbie...! What have you done. You'll never escape bias accusations now! Oh the post-humanity of it all :biggrin.:

Part of the plan :biggrin.:

Oh no Robbie...! What have you done. You'll never escape bias accusations now! Oh the post-humanity of it all :biggrin.:

Part of the plan :biggrin.:

He said Night Lords, not Alpha Legion. :tongue.: