Carcharodons novel by Robbie McNiven

b1soul

Just finished the Reaping Time

. . .

. . .

. . .

Man, that's evil! :D

I enjoyed it very much. You did well with this one, Rob! All these little details like "We have come for you." or the "Ash Blind" make for a great characterization of the Carcharodons and their obscure heritage. :tu:

During the very last scene, I was like "Dude, what?!" *reads it again* "Damn!" That's the most grimdark stuff I've read since Wrath of Iron.

Keep it up. I'm very excited for the Red Tithe. :)

Just finished the Reaping Time

. . .

. . .

. . .

Man, that's evil! :biggrin.:

I enjoyed it very much. You did well with this one, Rob! All these little details like "We have come for you." or the "Ash Blind" make for a great characterization of the Carcharodons and their obscure heritage. :thumbsup:

During the very last scene, I was like "Dude, what?!" *reads it again* "Damn!" That's the most grimdark stuff I've read since Wrath of Iron.

Keep it up. I'm very excited for the Red Tithe. :smile.:

Soooo true and totally different to the cheerful and wowish (world of warcraft) Legacy of Russ :tongue.:

Very excited for this. As a XIXth Legion fan and a Night Lords player this is really doing it for me. I can't wait to download this book!

Idk, I think the Space Sharks are much more brutal than the Minotaurs, based on the Badab War fluff. The Minotaurs certainly offer no quarter, but they're more an implacable, relentless assault; whereas the Carcharadons are more hit hard and fast then do it again. It fits their origins as Loyalist IVth and Terran XIXth, respectively.

As for theory of origin goes, unless this book changes things, there isn't anything but very shaky circumstantial evidence that the Night Lords contribute to the Charcaradons genetics. The Ashen Claws and Carcharadons seem to be separate fleets. The Ashen Claws being the ones who scoured the Nostramo Sector and went rogue, and the Pale Nomads being the ones who become the Space Sharks. The Ashen Claws however likely have a large number of VIIIth legion gene seed after the scouring. However they killed Ophion (hung him from the stanchions on his own bridge), and it isn't likely any of the absorbed Night Lords were loyal. The ones left in the Nostramo sector weren't even loyal to their own leadership, let alone the Emperor.

​Obviously this could all change, but until then, Pale Nomads Chapter in 30K = Carcharadons Astra in 40k.

Now this doesn't mean there isn't a precedent, we already know at least one joined the Raven Guard proper, after all.

Edited by Fortnight

However they killed Ophion (hung him from the stanchions on his own bridge), and it isn't likely any of the absorbed Night Lords were loyal. 

Wait, what? When did this happen? I thought there was no conclusive evidence of Ophion's fate?

However they killed Ophion (hung him from the stanchions on his own bridge), and it isn't likely any of the absorbed Night Lords were loyal.

Wait, what? When did this happen? I thought there was no conclusive evidence of Ophion's fate?

There isn't.

Also I know of only one other group of marines that say "we come for you" :p or robmac is being a cheeky devil and trolling us all

FWs Horus Heresy: Retribution

One chapter deals with the Nostramo sector being ravaged by an unknown force of Astartes. It turns out to be the Ashen Claws, another exiled Raven Guard force, which raided the Night Lords defenses in order to gain enough supplies to build an empire within the outer, unknown realm.

Ophion led the defense but was killed aboard his flagship.

A Blood Angels strike force was tasked to engage the Night Lords just to find them already slaughtered. It's written from their pov and shows how they find out the truth step by step.

Pretty damn cool chapter! ;)

*edit*

Agree with Helter. Either we will never find out the truth because Rob using all kind of hints and clues while giggling like a little girl reading our assumptions (you little nasty troll) or the truth will just blow our heads.

By now, I'm convinced that their heritage is reasonable and really cool. Don't know why but I got this impression. ;)

By the way, Rob?

Have you used a certain real culture as a template for them or did you took those parts of Polynesian culture you found suitable?

For example, my White Scars successor, the Storm Riders, are heavily influenced by the Hawaiian Koa warriors. :)

Edited by Kelborn

I prefer the Minotaurs as they are more brutal. Even though the lexicanum page says that the space sharks are better close combat experts ... and they look scarier with their shark skin and black eyes.

The point is not in brutality. People love Space Sharks not only because of that.

Sharks are mystical, they are traditionalists, 'monsters' from the utter  Dark, has splendid past, amazing heraldy and librarians circle etc. etc.

Before people get high hopes re. the origins story, I'd better once again clarify that Red Tithe will create more questions than answers :tongue.:

Well done. The Hydra approves :)

One thing. "Void Father" ... who are they referring to?

The Emperor, not Corax.

I definitely don't like the name "Space Sharks"

I prefer the name Charcaradons as it sounds much more mature.

And hard to spell :)
So is Vlka Fenryka but I still prefer it to Space Wolves :P Edited by Jareddm

I am sure the questions raised by the novel will drive me crazy, but the short story gave me enough hope for room that they are the Terran cast-offs of the Raven Guard.

Now I just need FW to make some shoulder pads and I will be good. (that's actually number two on the list of things I want, number one is looking in my downloads and seeing that the novel is available early)