Carcharodons novel by Robbie McNiven

b1soul

Hey Rob, quick question for you, slightly ot

I thought the Ursus claws were an exclusive feature of the Conqueror.

It seems like I was wrong :tongue.:

So, when you had the idea for this in the planning room... was it defined wether they were spread among the WE's main ships, or were they a unique, special equipment and the Charcharodons' ship marks an exception?

Thank you for being on the forum - oh, by the way, your novel was awesome (I'll do my best to write a proper review as soon as I have the time, I promise!).

Edited by Kharn the Bloody

Chapter VI and I'm still devouring it whenever I got time to read. The Flayer Father is my favorite NL until now in this book. :wink:

Heavy focus on the NL until now. One can really see that you're loving them. :wink:

Boo, Cull > Shadraith any day :wink:  But yeah, I was determined to make this a book that Night Lords fans could also enjoy. That, and not let down the work done by ADB by writing them horrifically...

Re. Khârn's question:

may well be wrong here, but I don't think it was stated absolutely in-text that there were only one set of Ursus claws, it was only implied that way, or that they were very rare. Again, I might be wrong

I'm surprised (and happy) that nobody was outraged at the presence of a volkite caliver in the 41st millennium. I was preparing an extensive lore-rebuttal in the eventuality of a riot :biggrin.:

Edited by RobMac

Chapter VI and I'm still devouring it whenever I got time to read. The Flayer Father is my favorite NL until now in this book. :wink:

Heavy focus on the NL until now. One can really see that you're loving them. :wink:

Boo, Cull > Shadraith any day :wink:  But yeah, I was determined to make this a book that Night Lords fans could also enjoy. That, and not let down the work done by ADB by writing them horrifically...

Re. Khârn's question:

[spoiler]{ I may well be wrong here, but I don't think it was stated absolutely in-text that there were only one set of Ursus claws, it was only implied that way, or that they were very rare. Again, I might be wrong }[/spoiler]

I'm surprised (and happy) that nobody was outraged at the presence of a volkite caliver in the 41st millennium. I was preparing an extensive lore-rebuttal in the eventuality of a riot :biggrin.:

More volkites are always a good thing. 

Anyone who dares come on this forum and complain about volkites...well, we will deal with that when it happens.

But for real, where in the galaxy does this take place? Closest I found was Ethrika Sector, but I don't know where that is.

I really enjoyed the in between parts with the Interrogator. Such a good connection to the rest of the Imperium and how the aftermath of something like that must look to them. Honestly can't say enough good things about the novel. I especially liked the parts that were just added for backstory, like the Contemptors stored away, or the whole idea that there is this unknown war raging somewhere with the Tyranids.

Glad you liked the snippets from the Interrogator, I wasn't sure if they'd work or not. Re. the location, yes, it's in the Ethika sector, which I made up and... sometimes it's best if you don't get to see behind the curtains and witness the less-than-inspiring reality, but I'll make an exception this time. I've no idea where the Ethika sector is, and deliberately didn't place it somewhere so as not to contradict myself should there come a time when I do actually need it to be somewhere specific. Suffice to say that Zartak is somewhere on the very edge of the galaxy. In my mind I always imagined it in the galactic north-east, in the depths of the Ghoul Stars, but don't take that as canon.

Boo, Cull > Shadraith any day :wink: But yeah, I was determined to make this a book that Night Lords fans could also enjoy. That, and not let down the work done by ADB by writing them horrifically...

Re. Khârn's question:

may well be wrong here, but I don't think it was stated absolutely in-text that there were only one set of Ursus claws, it was only implied that way, or that they were very rare. Again, I might be wrong

I'm surprised (and happy) that nobody was outraged at the presence of a volkite caliver in the 41st millennium. I was preparing an extensive lore-rebuttal in the eventuality of a riot :biggrin.:

Ha ;)

Haven't finished it yet. Maybe Cull will have his moments which might convince me. Shadraith is more of a classical NL for me except his bond with a certain being. But as I said, you did well. ;)

VOLKITES are in as well?!? Hell yeah! <3

Great Read

Just finished it

Very fresh and different 

loved it

Good use of Maori / Pacific islander names 

Was different reading a book with Maori names that is a sci fi novel and not a Maori legends book :)

Used to seeing stuff like that in NZ

As noted the ending came quite fast - I wanted more and wish there was more

but thats how books are written lol

Keep us wanting more a lol

Good on ya Rob

I hope you are able to do a good series out of this

Its great source material for my carcaradons army I'm making

Id like to see White Dwarf adding Characters rules for them for some Characters etc, and forge world stuff like shoulder pads would be helpful

I f you cannot get decals or pads making airbrush stencils is hard but doable

After consideration of all source books and the HH books

**  my proposal below as to there origins to heat things up **

The Shade lord was the original leader of the Terran Space Marines that would become the Carcaradons LORD in 30k

The Current Lord is Tyberos in 40k

At the time in 30k they had no Primarch and the Shade LORD was in charge

Great Crusade is happening and Corax is found

The Terran born marines were gifted to Corax by the Emperor, I do not recall any comment of them being his actual sons

Corax takes over

Due to there aggressive / slave keeping mentality similar to the slave masters that Corax disposed of on his home planet/moon

Corax exiled them with the Shade lord back in charge
This happens quite sometime on
He had no connection to them is the best way of putting it

and he had his own sons direct from his geneseed to whom he was connected with

so coming to the point 

Yes there will be some geneseed of the ravenguard in there given the checks done later on in 30k or  40k timeline

along with some other geneseed of other legions Night Lords or Death Guard etc which is possible in 40k given there survival out in the deep void

***but i consider them the sons of one of the lost primarchs***

The Emperor had all these marines made but the primarch either died or was killed / did something bad

and he gave them to Corax -  He may have even given them to other chapter Primarchs seperating them out

It is possible

No one has really discussed this and this is possible evidence - hints of that - the only remaining evidence

something to think on and also consider with the loyalist HH units of each legion who fought on Isstvaan and stayed loyal to the Emperor against there brothers

consider there traits and loyalty and were they Terran?

Great Read

Just finished it

Very fresh and different

loved it

Was different reading a book with Maori names that is a sci fi novel and not a Maori legends book :)

As noted the ending came quite fast - I wanted more and wish there was more

but thats how books are written lol

Keep us wanting more a lol

Good on ya Rob

I hope you are able to do a good series out of this

Its great source material for my carcaradons army I'm making

Id like to see White Dwarf adding Characters rules for them for some Characters etc, and forge world stuff like shoulder pads would be helpful

I f you cannot get decals or pads making airbrush stencils is hard but doable

After consideration of all source books and the HH books

** my proposal below as to there origins to heat things up **

The Shade lord was the original leader of the Terran Space Marines that would become the Carcaradons LORD in 30k

The Current Lord is Tyberos in 40k

At the time in 30k they had no Primarch and the Shade LORD was in charge

Great Crusade is happening and Corax is found

The Terran born marines were gifted to Corax by the Emperor, I do not recall any comment of them being his actual sons

Corax takes over

Due to there aggressive / slave keeping mentality similar to the slave masters that Corax disposed of on his home planet/moon

Corax exiled them with the Shade lord back in charge

This happens quite sometime on

He had no connection to them is the best way of putting it

and he had his own sons direct from his geneseed to whom he was connected with

so coming to the point

Yes there will be some geneseed of the ravenguard in there given the checks done later on in 30k or 40k timeline

along with some other geneseed of other legions Night Lords or Death Guard etc which is possible in 40k given there survival out in the deep void

***but i consider them the sons of one of the lost primarchs***

The Emperor had all these marines made but the primarch either died or was killed / did something bad

and he gave them to Corax - He may have even given them to other chapter Primarchs seperating them out

It is possible

No one has really discussed this and this is possible evidence - hints of that - the only remaining evidence

something to think on and also consider with the loyalist HH units of each legion who fought on Isstvaan and stayed loyal to the Emperor against there brothers

consider there traits and loyalty and were they Terran?

I may be misunderstanding what you're saying, but I believe the author confirmed they weren't a lost legion earlier in this thread.

Anyhoo, I haven't read a BL novel in quite a while now, but I'll make an exception for this one, sounds really interesting and I truly appreciate authors who speak openly with their fans.

Well they are either a lost legion

or

Raven Guard ( that are Terran and are pre raven guard in origin - THE ORIGINALS lol ) one could say they are Raven guard in name but are not really as pure as coraxs raven guard

And they have there own background and old Terran earth cultures 

They are more aggressive and into slavery

And / or they have got mixed genetic material from a prolonged void exile

where they grabbed Night Lords etc glands and harvested them in desperation

Sevatar 1st Cpt of the night lords talked about being the bat man of space - he talked about going to do this - and he may have gone off into the void with some of his goody too shoes night lords back in the day

and ended up crossing paths with the exiles / saving them / helping them/ taking over as leader?

passing on of some genetics and you have a night lords streak in them

There are few explanations that really make sense

The Carcaradons  talk about going home - the planet is not named

but say it is deliverance for example , they think they are not welcome there now

they note they will go home perhaps when the void father returns / or there leader returns

Corax is not named

They use the name of there leader in a general way

Rob is very good at keeping us guessing with his use of language

Cull straight up redeemed himself at the very end. Dude's got balls. Young and small ones, but very present nonetheless.

That's going on his holo-stone.

Was different reading a book with Maori names that is a sci fi novel and not a Maori legends book :smile.:

Thanks, I thought it was important to bring it to the fore. My only worry was giving them standard Maori names may look a bit stupid to actual Maoris. They look cool a "exotic" to people not familiar with Maori culture, but to Maori readers it would be like us naming Space Marines Steve or Jake. 

God damn it, this pre-release is breaking my heart. I want to read it too, but need to show restraint because I'm still on two/three different novels right now and haven't caught up with the advent stories either. All this praise is seriously making it difficult to stay away for another week.

I'll let Chancellor Palpatine take this one.

A good story.

They certainly live and fight like the XIXth, pre-Corax. The geneseed degradation being different from that suffered by the main line Raven Guard shows their ancient origins. I really liked how they fight as brutal reflections of the RG, in the same way the Night Lords are, yet utilizing different methods.

While admittedly we now have lots of questions, their origins seem to be pretty heavily solidified, we know they are descended of the loyal chapters of the Raven's bastard sons. Corax being the Forgotten One, who they are waiting to revoke their exile. The only thing I don't get is whether or not they consider Deliverance or Terra their home.

As to those who are taking the use of brother as confirmation they have Night Lords geneseed, note that they are using the term brother universally here, not as children from a common father, but as brother marines.

The twist did not disappoint, I hope this is the beginning of a series!

Edited by Fortnight

I've finally finished the Red Tithe. I did read the short story prior to it though and ...

I wondered where Akia went or how he died?

Things I liked about the novel

Ursurs Claws on a ship, the weird fact that they all slowly degenerate into Sharks even though their gene-seed is "stable" and the blood lust that makes me only think of loyalist world eaters. Also the fact they have been around for 10k years is nice along with the fact that they do have a homeworld that the Librarian can remember but they clearly aren't allowed back to.

I'm not entirely sure why their method of recruitment is kept so secret. They appeared to have to keep their whole existence and visit to the planet secret even though they loyally serve the imperium?

Also ... the librarian killing the NL at the end with what was essentially a concrete shark mouth coming up to swallow him...... *gulp*

Things I was not so keen on

nothing really, a lot of the Carcharadons died though which sometimes greaves me when they are supposed to be mega-awesome snowflakes

Overall a good read. Well done RobMac. £9.99 of my money well spent.

Edited by Mellow

Anyone who dares come on this forum and complain about volkites...well, we will deal with that when it happens.   - 

I love Volkites! They are amazing weapons, 

I've finally finished the Red Tithe. I did read the short story prior to it though and ...

Ursurs Claws on a ship, the weird fact that they all slowly degenerate into Sharks even though their gene-seed is "stable" and the blood lust that makes me only think of loyalist world eaters. Also the fact they have been around for 10k years is nice along with the fact that they do have a homeworld that the Librarian can remember but they clearly aren't allowed back to.

I'm not entirely sure why their method of recruitment is kept so secret. They appeared to have to keep their whole existence and visit to the planet secret even though they loyally serve the imperium?

Also ... the librarian killing the NL at the end with what was essentially a concrete shark mouth coming up to swallow him...... *gulp*

nothing really, a lot of the Carcharadons died though which sometimes greaves me when they are supposed to be mega-awesome snowflakes

Just imagine what he will do in part 2 :) Add to that some XXth, improved prose and we will have a masterpiece ;)

Anyone who dares come on this forum and complain about volkites...well, we will deal with that when it happens.   - 

Just imagine what he will do in part 2 :smile.: Add to that some XXth, improved prose and we will have a masterpiece :wink:

You didn't notice the XXth in this book? :wink:

Just imagine what he will do in part 2 :smile.: Add to that some XXth, improved prose and we will have a masterpiece :wink:

You didn't notice the XXth in this book? :wink:

Nope - strangely we were busy with Garro and trying to get a grip of Forge World 'Inferno' :biggrin.: