Write for Black Library

hummus

Finally got a reply:

Hi,

Thank you for your interest and enthusiasm in writing for Games Workshop.

Unfortunately, your submission is not right for us at this time, and therefore we will not be taking your current application any further. We fully appreciate that you may want feedback, however due to the volume of applications we are not able to provide any.

We wish you every success in your future writing endeavours.

Kind Regards,

The Black Library Author Team

Looks like I need to spend more time writing to sharpen my skills some more so that next year I'll have a better shot at it.

Finally got a reply:

Hi,

Unfortunately, your submission is not right for us at this time, and therefore we will not be taking your current application any further. We fully appreciate that you may want feedback, however due to the volume of applications we are not able to provide any.

Kind Regards,

Looks like I need to spend more time writing to sharpen my skills some more so that next year I'll have a better shot at it.

But you keep those emails and letters, so that when you get that first success, you know what you beat to get there. I got a growing collection right now.

Finally got a reply:

Hi,

Kind Regards,

Don't feel bad, I just got my rejection, as well. Can't say I'm terribly surprised, but still. Was definitely worth a shot, right?

But you keep those emails and letters, so that when you get that first success, you know what you beat to get there. I got a growing collection right now.

Currently I've only got rejections from BL once and FW once. Guess I need to get more letters. tongue.png

Don't feel bad, I just got my rejection, as well. Can't say I'm terribly surprised, but still. Was definitely worth a shot, right?

I was hoping for success but prepared for rejection. Besides, there is always next year. That's a whole year to refine my writing even further and increase my chances for next time! biggrin.png

Don't be disheartened. Even an expertly crafted novel might not be what they're looking for as you have to bear in mind all the factors we might not be aware of - has one of their existing authors already made a similar pitch and had it granted? Did they want a greater focus on a particular aspect for a target audience we aren't aware they're going for? Was it overly complicated and too well written for a short story anthology where they've already filled up on such stories and just want some quick action in opposite to it? Or maybe they didn't like your choice of antagonists at this time?

Not that I know what criteria they're looking at but we shouldn't worry too much for not getting through. It's no slight on our abilities or personal.

Hell, they got so many submissions, it might have just slipped through the net!

Currently I've only got rejections from BL once and FW once. Guess I need to get more letters. tongue.png

I was hoping for success but prepared for rejection. Besides, there is always next year. That's a whole year to refine my writing even further and increase my chances for next time! biggrin.png

How can you have been rejected by Forgeworld? I wasn't aware that they held similar contests?

Don't be disheartened. Even an expertly crafted novel might not be what they're looking for as you have to bear in mind all the factors we might not be aware of - has one of their existing authors already made a similar pitch and had it granted? Did they want a greater focus on a particular aspect for a target audience we aren't aware they're going for? Was it overly complicated and too well written for a short story anthology where they've already filled up on such stories and just want some quick action in opposite to it? Or maybe they didn't like your choice of antagonists at this time?

Not that I know what criteria they're looking at but we shouldn't worry too much for not getting through. It's no slight on our abilities or personal.

Hell, they got so many submissions, it might have just slipped through the net!

Exactly. All you can ever do is make your art as good as you can make it. You can't control someone else's perception or what they're looking for. That goes for everyone, including Black Library editors. 

How can you have been rejected by Forgeworld? I wasn't aware that they held similar contests?

They had a job opening for a writer a couple years ago. I did that one, too, and failed out of it as well.

FW was hiring writers a couple years ago. I was rejected for lacking professional writing experience.

80 % of success is having a lot of shorts, novellas, novels in your portfolio. If you do not have a long writing experience you chances are slim

Even if you do write a lot many want those to be published works to count. BL skips that but has much vaguer submission standards.

Keep writing and reading. I teach writing and success is 1 in 100. You'll be rejected about 99% of the time. find time to write everyday. Also, as others have pointed out, you could have had a perfectly fine story idea and they aren't going with that direction this particular time. Keep plugging away.

Got some tips from a friend I have who cleared the first round. Going to rework my strategy for what I choose and what my pitch is. More open ended and more aiked at booking the reader than highlighting action.

I'm still waiting on a reply. I did enter on the last day (last Sunday), so I dare say that I was one of the last entries to go in. If I don't get any further, well, I could only try smile.png

Wait, wasn't the deadline on the 29th of April? That was a Friday. oO

Nevertheless, got no reply as well until now. Think that it will arrive in the next couple of days.

Nevertheless, got no reply as well until now. Think that it will arrive in the next couple of days.

Sigh - it's been a long day, I meant Friday laugh.png

Sigh - it's been a long day, I meant Friday laugh.png
Yeah mine was the Friday too and I'm still waiting. I expect they got inundated with submissions on the last day, plus the Monday they wouldn't be working due to the bank holiday so I'm expecting a yea or nay monday/tuesday. Still checking my email religiously on a daily basis though :P

I wrote a story about an Ultramarines strike force of three tactical marines including captain equipped with multilasers and allying with chaos marines to stave off a Tyranid invasion after defeating an entire Tau fleet with one strike cruiser.

I got a three book deal with a hefty advance.

I wrote a story about an Ultramarines strike force of three tactical marines including captain equipped with multilasers and allying with chaos marines to stave off a Tyranid invasion after defeating an entire Tau fleet with one strike cruiser.

Well played Mr. Goto.

A Warning : Don't come near the Flesh Tearers with such alliances ideas ! (Having to do with a Flesh Tearers + Sisters and a Blood Angels + Necrons is enough to deal with, no need to put a second layer of non-sense and heresy).

On a side note : GG =)

Mine was way too cookie cutter... Space Marines of one of my own Chapters taking their already extremist ideology to excess and there being a schism in the ranks as they fight for the soul of the Chapter, ending with exterminatus of a planet to hide all evidence of the event.

Archived