Path of Heaven - Discussion

b1soul

I think my issue is that the EC went from loyal to strap on wearing joker caricatures too fast. Even the Word Bearers, after 40 years of chaos worship, only had that level of corruption in small numbers. All the EC described so far have no distance between themselves and a full fledged chaos marine. It's just a personal taste thing, but it makes me sad because I love Wraight :( . It's one of those scenarios where you just don't like a faction enough to stick it out, even if you love the author.

I think my issue is that the EC went from loyal to strap on wearing joker caricatures too fast. Even the Word Bearers, after 40 years of chaos worship, only had that level of corruption in small numbers. All the EC described so far have no distance between themselves and a full fledged chaos marine. It's just a personal taste thing, but it makes me sad because I love Wraight :( . It's one of those scenarios where you just don't like a faction enough to stick it out, even if you love the author.

I think that's an issue with the series as opposed to the book though (this book is relatively far into the heresy, I think they're in about the right place, we just haven't seen much development in them before this - they just went from Fulgrim to Angel Exterminatus really with nothing in between) but it's fair enough about not liking them, this is the first time I've not felt that way!

Cario was a great character

Also, Wraight did a phenomenal job rehabilitating Eidolon

Not only has Fabius made Eidolon a roided up, banshee howling combat monster...he's also quite smart and not a complete caricature

true. It's good that some authors gave 'monsters' some humanity. Cause cartoonish moustache villains - tis sad

I don't get ur complaint...

Wraight makes it a point to show EC who are definitely anti-E Traitors...but who have been resisting Chaos corruption

Cario, an EC Palatine Blade leader, and his whole crew are like that

Even Eidolon discusses the slide, and isn't all the way down that line. "Soon our pleasures will be our masters."

Also, compared to McNeill handling them on Istvaan, which largely boiled down to "it was excessive, and he felt sensations from it", that moment where Eidolon's stood on the edge of the battle at Kalium, pondering the sheer volume of pain, emotion and all the rest, gives me far more chills. "I wish it was me. I wish all these things were mine."

Even Eidolon discusses the slide, and isn't all the way down that line. "Soon our pleasures will be our masters."

Also, compared to McNeill handling them on Istvaan, which largely boiled down to "it was excessive, and he felt sensations from it", that moment where Eidolon's stood on the edge of the battle at Kalium, pondering the sheer volume of pain, emotion and all the rest, gives me far more chills. "I wish it was me. I wish all these things were mine."

Cario even if he struggled against it - was getting pleasure from his struggle and defiance. Tis a closed circle

Wraight actually makes Eidolon a force to be reckoned with...and salvages the silly concept of a marine with his head stitched back on

I like how Eidolon is questionably a completely different individual from his former self. He's a monster back from the grave.

Wraight actually makes Eidolon a force to be reckoned with...and salvages the silly concept of a marine with his head stitched back on

I like how Eidolon is questionably a completely different individual from his former self. He's a monster back from the grave.

He has an updated level of self-importance, greed, lust, envy then his previous iteration for sure biggrin.png Being killed can do that to you biggrin.png

The beauty of Eidolon in this book (I just finished it after picking it up a few days back) is that he as 'back from beyond the veil) knows more than most, including many of the Primarchs. He has seen the end, seen the destination for the Legion, and as alluded too very very early, recognizes how its going to go for the EC.

Man, what a great book. I enjoyed pretty much everything about it.

High points for me are the various discussions around the warp. Loved the discussion of various layers, the concepts, the foresight of the Navigators, the Webway Project, and the fact that victory is remaining true to oneself, regardless of the side you are on.

A great example of what the setting provides.

I want to know the reasoning behind the lack of screentime that Shiban and Yesugei share. It feels like it could simply be a matter of pacing, but equally it could be Wraight making a point about how far gone Shiban is.

Shiban received the biggest transfromation. From a likable, always joyful khan to half 'Iron hand' mixed with techmarine. All joy is gone - he is brutal, he is efficient and probably the true 'father' of W40K White Scars. No more Summer Lightning for them

I think my issue is that the EC went from loyal to strap on wearing joker caricatures too fast. Even the Word Bearers, after 40 years of chaos worship, only had that level of corruption in small numbers. All the EC described so far have no distance between themselves and a full fledged chaos marine. It's just a personal taste thing, but it makes me sad because I love Wraight sad.png . It's one of those scenarios where you just don't like a faction enough to stick it out, even if you love the author.

I think it makes perfect sense that the Emperor's Children would fall the fastest. Combine the EC's drive to be the best with the insidious nature of Slaneesh's offerings and you get a lubed up water slide into hell. The EC also get to do it out in the open unlike the Word Bearers who had to hide it.

I think my issue is that the EC went from loyal to strap on wearing joker caricatures too fast. Even the Word Bearers, after 40 years of chaos worship, only had that level of corruption in small numbers. All the EC described so far have no distance between themselves and a full fledged chaos marine. It's just a personal taste thing, but it makes me sad because I love Wraight sad.png . It's one of those scenarios where you just don't like a faction enough to stick it out, even if you love the author.

I think it makes perfect sense that the Emperor's Children would fall the fastest. Combine the EC's drive to be the best with the insidious nature of Slaneesh's offerings and you get a lubed up water slide into hell. The EC also get to do it out in the open unlike the Word Bearers who had to hide it.

i think a fast fall could still make sense, if it is a convincing fall. the legion seemed to venerate the emperor as a man, rather than a god (making them a good flipside of the WB) and the dismantling of that veneration was never really explored. it seemed like they cast a lifetime (centuries for the legion) of indoctrination and belief aside very, very easily.

now, i don't think it was as simple as "magic sword" as many like to joke, but the embracing of "ooh sensation is better than discipline as a path to perfection" was only slightly more complex. the idea that laeran organs were another pathway to the emperor's perfection was a good start that went nowhere.

path of heaven went some way to addressing that, making it the first time i understood how some EC (like eidolon) reconcile this shift in thinking. the palatine blades were the missing link i'd been hoping for between the pre and post downfall legion depictions.

i think a fast fall could still make sense, if it is a convincing fall. the legion seemed to venerate the emperor as a man, rather than a god (making them a good flipside of the WB) and the dismantling of that veneration was never really explored. it seemed like they cast a lifetime (centuries for the legion) of indoctrination and belief aside very, very easily.

now, i don't think it was as simple as "magic sword" as many like to joke, but the embracing of "ooh sensation is better than discipline as a path to perfection" was only slightly more complex. the idea that laeran organs were another pathway to the emperor's perfection was a good start that went nowhere.

path of heaven went some way to addressing that, making it the first time i understood how some EC (like eidolon) reconcile this shift in thinking. the palatine blades were the missing link i'd been hoping for between the pre and post downfall legion depictions.

'path of heaven went some way to addressing that, making it the first time i understood how some EC (like eidolon) reconcile this shift in thinking. the palatine blades were the missing link i'd been hoping for between the pre and post downfall legion depictions'

- they were even more. They are the transition stance from what was to what would be. The downfall has actually happened. I can't see where EC could downfall more after 'Soul/Severed'.

That's the end of transition. Nowhere to go from here. It's all would be the same. I think the point in space and time Eidolon has come to at the end of the Soul/Severed is actually his portrait in W40K. That's already transition fully done.

Archived