Militarum Tempestus Narrative Batrep - Op PEGASUS BLADE

Ubique

----Cypher: Sierra Sierra----

To: Inquisitor Ramier Wojtek

----Emergency Evacuation Request----

----Operation PEGASUS BLADE----

Ramier, the op has gone bad. The Orks we were sent to clear off this feral world are not the simpletons we normally deal with; these ones came loaded to bear with their fancy dakka. I’m hurt and my guards had to pull me off the field while Fabian is conducting a delaying action to buy us time. This report will be my last will and testament unless you get us an evac bird soon.

Order of Battle

Battlegroup Immutatus

Commander – Interrogator Ohio Bones (OX Inquisitor. Power Armour, Conversion Beamer)

Inquisitorial Bodyguard – 5xCrusader, 1xJokaero “Furious George”, 1xPsyker

Inquisitor Alexander Fabian (OM Inquisitor. Psyker, Terminator Armour, Psycannon, Liber Heresius, Empyrean Brain Mines)

Indentured Gangers – 5x Acolyte w Bolter, 1x Acolyte w Bolter/MBomb, 2x Acolyte w Plasmagun/Flamer, 1x Psyker

Indentured Gangers – 5x Acolyte w Bolter, 1x Acolyte w Bolter/MBomb, 2x Acolyte w Plasmagun/Meltagun, 1x Psyker

Terran Vigils - Militarum Tempestus Platoon

Militarum Tempestus Command Squads (3xHS Volleygun, 1xVox)

1xMilitarum Tempestus Scion Squad (6xScion, 2xMeltagun, Vox)

1xMilitarum Tempestus Scion Squad (9xScion, 2xFlamer, Vox)

2xTaurox Prime (TP Battlecannon, Autocannons, Camnet)

Agent Scurra – Eversor Assassin

Ork Horde

Commander – Warboss in MegaArmour

Bodyguard - 10x Burnaboyz in BattleWagon

8xLootaz

20xShootaBoyz

6xFlashgitz

2x4 Deffkoptas

10xGretchin

3xMeganobz in Truk

Ramier, we deployed opposite the Orks and we had the initiative. I selected 5 objectives for our forces to secure and was able to position my guard and I with a Taurox Prime on a high feature on the right flank while half my gangers and the other Prime held the centre woodline. The other half of the gang got out in the open to make a headlong charge towards the woodline on the left flank. The Orks came out in full force and squared off with us, the Deffkoptas on the right and the Lootaz/Flashgitz on the left. Their two garbage trucks remained near the centre. I saw Scurra infiltrate into a sandbag dugout forward of the centre woodline; I’m surprised he didn’t stand completely out in the open. We had good positions and good fields of fire and we had the jump on the Orks…Things did not go well from there.

Phase 1

Prior to combat, Furious George gave some tweaks to my conversion beamer and increased its range and I dug into some ancient manuscripts to increase its power. I ordered all our heavy weaponry to target the Battlewagon as I knew it would give those Burnaz unlimited freedom to move and burn my gangers. Sadly, I’m not quite used to the Conversion Beamer yet and I missed the Battlewagon while George planted his finger LasCannon into the armour for a glancing hit. The TP in the centre pulled to the left flank and put a good amount of hits into the flank of that beast but it had cover and shrugged off the hits…not good. My gangers ran at full tilt for the left flank objective in the woodline. Scurra, I guess sensing the fact that there was about 20 heavy Ork guns trained on him jumped into the Taurox on the left flank.

The Orks hit back with a vengeance. The Deffkoptas, despite their erratic aim, managed to smash the TP beside me with rockets while the Lootaz and Flashgitz moved into position to try to take out the charging gangers managing only to drop 2. Most alarming, the Truk with the Meganobz and the Battlewagon advanced on us.

Phase 2

The Tempestus platoon with Inquisitor Fabian were supposed to all make planetfall at this point but, as usual, Fabian’s group missed the drop leaving the Command squad and the Melta squad to arrive alone. The Meltas positioned just beside the Battlewagon and, for some idiotic reason, the Command Squad landed near my position directly in the path of the Meganobz…The TP with Scurra advanced forward toward the left flank objective and the maniac got out into the woodline and the gangers surged forward to cover him. Again, George and I shot at the Battlewagon and again we missed our mark leaving it all up to the Meltas. The Scions hit their target at close range and reported that the result of their attack was the Ork crew were stunned twice…The resulting armour penetration caused the Burnaboyz to panic but the Warboss steadied them up by killing a few of them. The remaining Taurox Prime fired from defilade into the side of the Meganobz’s Truk and blew it up forcing them to dismount. At this point, the Command squad ran to a nearby wall hoping to get some cover for the inevitable counterattack. My gangers in the rear took pot-shots at the Deff Koptas and managed to cause some damage, the cowards even ran off the field.

The Orks put the hammer down. The Battlewagon unleashed a torrent of flame onto the Scions with the Meltas while the Lootaz hammered away at Scurra’s position; I could hardly believe it but he was actually dodging shells the size of fists and came out relatively unscathed. The Flashgitz shot the gangers to pieces with their fancy guns and stopped their glorious attempt for the left flank. Unsurprisingly, the Meganobz eyed up the Scion platoon commander and charged in with their Kill-Sawz and turned that position into a bloody pulp; my bodyguard began to steel themselves for the coming bloodbath.

Phase 3

The Brutus Mortem made another pass and finally Fabian made planetfall with the remaining Scions. They quickly adopted a defensive stance just outside of the Ork central position held by the Shootaboyz. Scurra advanced on the Lootaz while the brave and foolish gangers pushed forward toward the left flank objective to take some shots at the Flashgitz before they died a fiery death. I am not one to trust in Psykers but at this point, they were worth their weight in gold. I hadn’t seen Fabian perform Pyromancy before but unbelievably, he projected some sort of holy flame onto the nearby Deffkoptas killing a few before the Flamer armed Scions pored promethium onto them as well. The Deffkoptas broke and ran and I saw them in the distance trying and failing to put out the hellfire. Sensing my last chance to fire at the Battlewagon, George and I finally finished the beast and got the Warboss and his guards to get out. Sensing an opportunity, my gangers fired their bolters and plasma gun at them but the Warboss’s armour stopped the bolters and he threw a Boy in front of a Plasma round. Firing with precision, Agent Scurra danced through a hail of Loota fire and engaged the bastards in unarmed combat, slaughtering them all and then moving out of the line of sight of the nearby Flashgitz.

The Orks sensed their early advantage slipping and pored forward. The Burnaboyz ended the gangers as they had the Scions with a torrent of flame while the Warboss lined up the remaining Taurox Prime for a charge. The Flashgitz moved forward to prepare to receive Scurra’s oncoming charge while the Shootaboyz in the centre, sensing the coming onslaught and seeing their Deffkopta comrades running, advanced to meet Fabian and his Scions head on. Their charge was met by a hail of flame, Psycannon round and Hotshot Lasgun fire and many were cut down. Once the melee ensued, Fabian’s unit Counterattacked and cut down many of the Orks before they could even strike back. Fabian added insult to injury by pulping 4 with his Daemon Hammer which kills Orks as well as it kills Daemaons. The Orkz broke and fled but he did not pursue due to his fat metal ass in his Terminator Armour. The Warboss sensing his Boyz were struggling in the centre went for the Taurox Prime but fell short of his mark. Sadly, the Meganobz did not. They crashed into my position and their leader bellowed a challenge…My foolishness led me to accept and I threw aside the Conversion Beamer and took up my bolt pistol and sword. My attacks failed to scratch the beasts armour and his Killsaw was too quick for me to stop. If it wasn’t for the Distortion field I keep on my lucky hat, I would have been decapitated. My Crusader Guard held out against the other Meganobz, boldly stopping their furious attacks with their Storm Shields and my Psyker even managed to wound one of them. Furious George, my Jokaero companion, thought it wise at this point to pull back and he saved my life. Sadly, I gave up the objective to those monsters.

Phase 4

With hope remaining, our forces pushed on. Agent Scurra advanced on the Flashgitz while Fabian’s Scions positioned themselves to assault the newly arrived Gretchin who now held the Ork Centre position. The Taurox Prime which had narrowly escaped the Warboss, roared onto the central objective and put down covering fire onto the Burnaboyz. The Pysker in our centre position forced an image of universal peace into the minds of the Meganobz and caused one’s head to explode while Bolter fire from the remainder of the gangers killed another. Fabian’s squad burned the Gretchin and the remaining two orks alive and then charged, the Orks had no fight left in them and ran away and the Gretchin dissolved at the precision strikes of the Scions and the fury of Fabian. Scurra in close with the Flashgitz and killed 2 but due to his existing injuries was brought down by their heavy blows, he went supernova and took another one out. I’ve already dispatched a ServoSkull to pick up what’s left of his brain for implantation into another Assassin; if you weren’t going to pick me up before maybe not pissing off the Eversor Temple might convince you.

The Orks, despite their great losses, did not relent. The Warboss again rushed towards the Taurox Prime in the centre while the Flashgitz and Burnaboyz consolidated onto the left flank objective. At this point, the Taurox was the deciding factor determining who would carry the field. It was not too be us as sporadic Flashgitz fire glanced the vehicle to death and we lost control of the centre.

At this point, sporadic fire was traded by both sides but the battle was largely over. While both sides controlled two of the objectives, the Orks had bled us early and had taken me out of action and, as according to the Tome of Vethric, we were defeated.

Summary

We were defeated but it was a pyric victory for the Orks. Once (if) you retrieve me, we have more than enough forces to push these brutes from the position. The Warboss has lost all of his maneurvre forces while we retain a good amount of fire power and psyker capability.

Given I’ve taken the time to dictate this in-depth report to my servo-scribe while being carried on a stretcher through a jungle and bleeding from the ears, you best send evac or, Emperor help me, I'll find you in the next life.

Ne Conjigar Nobiscum

Interrogator Ohio Bones

Great report! I like the narrative element you chose for the baterp, it hads some flavour and distinguishes it from what we usually see on the forums. I particularly like the tone of Inquisitor Bones addressing his colleague, nice touch!

Thanks.

I'll endeavour to put some photos up next time to illustrate these characters.

Interrogator Ohio Bones is a part-time Schola Instructor on Terra, part-time adventurer/relic looter who was has been pressed into service along with his gang by the OM Inquisitor Alexander Fabian.

Look at his name and guess who he in inspired by...

Archived