The Storm Stalkers - WiP Blog

Loving these conversions, I wish my skills were as good as yours.  Subscribing to this blog, keep up the great work.

Thanks a ton! If you want details or have questions on anything in particular I'm happy to help where I can. :)

• 2 months later...

The work continues, after a dry spell!

Starting painting this brute:

med_gallery_2327_11680_150782.jpg

med_gallery_2327_11680_1030428.jpg

Still lots to do but most of the main colors are there if not fully highlighted/shaded etc. Still playing around with the various color flavors for the decorative bits but I think I'm on the right track.

med_gallery_2327_11680_677729.jpg

med_gallery_2327_11680_1177133.jpg

Then I got this guy done, Wolf Priest made from that Legion Standard Bearer. I just loved his artificer armor way too much and knew I was going to swap that fugly face anyways.

med_gallery_2327_11680_1697245.jpg

med_gallery_2327_11680_404263.jpg

med_gallery_2327_11680_430902.jpg

med_gallery_2327_11680_1079546.jpg

I have a bit of cleanup to do on the prancywolf detail on the knee and a bit of details on the Crozius but other than that i think he's done.

I'll be continuing work on the Dread throughout the week then onto Grey Hunter Pack 2! My goal is to finish what I call my "1000 pt. Core" this winter/holiday.

2 Rune Priests (1 complete, 1 Built)

2 Units of Grey Hunters with Pods (1 pack and pod complete, 1 pack built, 1 pod unassembled)

1 Dread in Pod (Dread WiP, pod unassembled)

3 Thunderwolves (Mostly built)

This is my last week of work for the year before I cash in all my PTO and get really cracking.

Then I got this guy done, Wolf Priest made from that Legion Standard Bearer. I just loved his artificer armor way too much and knew I was going to swap that fugly face anyways.

I have a bit of cleanup to do on the prancywolf detail on the knee and a bit of details on the Crozius but other than that i think he's done.

I'll be continuing work on the Dread throughout the week then onto Grey Hunter Pack 2! My goal is to finish what I call my "1000 pt. Core" this winter/holiday.

2 Units of Grey Hunters with Pods (1 pack and pod complete, 1 pack built, 1 pod unassembled)

This is my last week of work for the year before I cash in all my PTO and get really cracking.

I love the head you used on that guy. Where did you get it?

Jinx! Wolf Lord, you owe me a Coke!

The head is from the "Exalted Deathbringer with Impaling Spear" model from AoS Khorne Bloodbound. Ive had the model since it came out because his head is so damn wolfy and I KNEW it would get used but I didn't like how it looked everytime I tried to match it with a model.

I think it works because that armor is so baroque so his especially savage look fits. :D

Darn, I'm not crazy enough to buy a $30 model for a head...off to eBay!

Thanks!

Hah! Yea I thought I would be able to use more of him than I probably will. He's just big enough in the body to not look "right". I do tend to get impulsive though. :rolleyes:

The work continues, after a dry spell!

Starting painting this brute:

med_gallery_2327_11680_150782.jpg

med_gallery_2327_11680_1030428.jpg

Still lots to do but most of the main colors are there if not fully highlighted/shaded etc. Still playing around with the various color flavors for the decorative bits but I think I'm on the right track.

med_gallery_2327_11680_677729.jpg

med_gallery_2327_11680_1177133.jpg

Amazing, dude! Where is the head from?

• 1 month later...

Got some stuff done finally! The bad news its that it's the most trouble I've had in a while:

med_gallery_2327_11680_684855.jpeg

med_gallery_2327_11680_867602.jpeg

med_gallery_2327_11680_1169718.jpeg

med_gallery_2327_11680_396525.jpeg

med_gallery_2327_11680_821295.jpeg

So yea, I had a ton of issues with these models. To start, I loved making that Lone wolf but painted up I'm not super happy with it. I think compositionally his running pose puts too much of the fur in the center and steals the focal point I wanted his head to be. My rushed pics didn't get any of his legs either so that doesn't help lol. Looking at the pics too i may need another highlight on the cloak too. Hard to balance gritty without making it boring and not going too far into cartoony.

As for the wolves, blerg...

I painted those SOBs 5 times trying to get it right and still think they look too messy. I tried getting the nice gradient using the airbrush and going back in with the brush but never got the color right. It also really bugged me that i was trying to paint them using real wolves for coloration pattern reference but you really can't with how the fur is sculpted. I tried doing a frozen water base on one of them too and it turned out pretty cool but i think any thing smaller base wise its not going to look right. May need to be something i save for larger centerpiece models.

Oh well, I'll keep trying on the little guys before I tackle my Thunderwolves to get it right. Work on the Dread continues which is going better than these fools and I got him a new sweet ride that i'll have more on soon!

Edited by FearPeteySodes

I thnk the Lone Wolf looks really good. I can see what you are saying about the furs dominating the models though.

I have to admit that I find it hard to imagine a terminator running as this is a hulking piece of armour. The cloak has a beaurtiful sweeping motion  to it, Is there any way that you could make him more vertical so rather tan running forward, he is more trudging implacably forwards, through a hail of shrapnel, ignoring it like a man ignoring the rain drumming against him.

Spying his chosen target, the swings his arms in broad strokes both to release the pent up tension he never noticed was there and as a silent challenge to his foe.

His chosen companions flanking him read to run forward and protect him until he reaches his intended target (ablative wounds)

I always thought the flat patchy bits on the backs of the fenrisian wolves were where the fur had been singed or lost in battle. 

Interestingly, he was a bit more upright previously but I thought the cloak looked too taught to be just hanging.  I think the pose come across better when the legs are visible which is my fault being the poor cameraman.

At this point too I really like modeling as a psychological tool too. This guy has been in 90% of my lists and always gets work done. Posing him like a gun pointed at something seems to really irk people and he draws just a stupid amount of fire lol. Most times he lives too....

• 5 months later...

I finally finished another thing!

med_gallery_2327_11680_705390.jpg

med_gallery_2327_11680_81473.jpg

Next up finishing touches on the dread that goes into there. I got some of the scalecolor metallics and had to redo a lot on him from the previous pics, it looks way better and less drab though.

I also received my deimos rhinos the other day and they are mostly built so that will be a solid chunk or paintwork too.

I really need those back in stock haha. Tgose dread pods are sweet. Your paint job is fantastic Petey

Lol it was a nightmare to build, i've been joking that it must have been the last one off the line before they pitched the mold.

If I recall, Augustus B'Raas had the same issues.

I believe he assembled mot of it an basically stick it in a pan of boiling water, then held it so the fins pointed down the way and let gravity straighten it out.

A risky strategem for sure

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...