+= Renegade Knight - Litany of Destruction Complete =+

Morning all!

@helterskelter - Thanks very much dude! :D

@Raztalin - Yea I will be using the Stormspear Rocket Pod because it looks cool and is good against heavy armour and vehicles :)

I have done a bit of work on the right arm, extending the pistons to get a more direct shooting pose. Unfortunately there isn't much room for manoeuvre with the lower joint so I have had to cut away a bit of the plastic but that is hidden inside the arm now which worked out quite well.

SAM_0692.JPG

I was only able to extend the pistons by about 0.5cm but I think it will do the trick. Also I have added some chains to the barrel of the gun and trimmed down an undivided icon to cast a banner to hang from it. Now i just have to hope that it turns out alright :)

Next up is the shield on the right side and I also have some chains to hang between the crotch plate and tabard which will have skulls dangling from the ends. You can never have too many skulls!

C&C welcome as always.

Nemac

Ok folks I need a little bit of help but more on that in a moment! First I have finished the Shield and added some dangling skulls on chains to the tabard for that little extra something. I am probably not going to add the Chaos star to the shield because the red stripe will probably make it look very unpronounced and so I don't think it will add anything to the model. Instead I will add more Chaos symbols to the right shoulder guard to make up for it.

SAM_0693.JPG

SAM_0694.JPG

So the issue I'm faced with is the positioning of the Thermal Cannon arm and the head:

First option is looking down at enemy infantry ready to blast a massive hole in the ground and them along with it. I kind of like this pose because of the position of the leg it looks that much more menacing.

SAM_0695.JPG

The second option is as I mentioned in a previous post of having the cannon extended as far as I could and the head facing in exactly that direction:

SAM_0696.JPG

So yea, any thoughts on which you prefer would be much appreciated!

C&C always welcome.

Nemac

First of all, the Knight is coming along really well so far! I like the small changes you have made to the GW paintjob -- that red stripe is particularly effective!

Regarding the pose, I think it depends on where you want to place the focus: If you add some loyalist Astartes or guardsman cowering under that rock slab, it would be really cool to have the Knight's head lowered and turned towards that model, as if to sniff out a survivor. In that case, however, I would turn the thermal cannon outwards by about 20 degrees or so, in order to get a silhouette that's a bit more impressive and interesting.

The other pose seems to say "I am coming for you next!", but it also focuses on the next possible enemy, which is also very effective but tells a different story, so to speak.

Regarding the heraldic shield, have you considered dabbing on a chaos star (or half a chaos star) using Clear Red/Blood For The Blood God instead of using a decal? The glossy red would contrast against the red stripe, plus it would make the Knight look as if it had been ritually re-consecrated by way of some kind of sacrifice.

And finally, one small suggestion while you are still working on the thermal cannon: I have found it really effective to add one of those hooks you get with the chaos vehicle sprue at the top of the weapon's muzzle (see it on my own Knight here). It makes the weapon look extra vicious without much work, so maybe it's something you would be interested in as well.

Anyway, keep up the great work! smile.png

Thanks Kraut, that is extremely helpful. I will definitely be looking through my bits box to find one of those hooks and your Knight is incredible by the way :D.

Regarding the pose with the Ultramarine or PDF under the rock I should angle the head to the left side of the model and angle the cannon more to right side? The Knight will be having the Thurderstrike Gauntlet so I could try and position that as though it is reaching to tear the rock from above the enemies head, ready to deliver the killing blow.

Regarding the Blood for the Blood God, that is what I've been using for all the other Chaos Icons but I'm just worried that it will get lost on the red stripe. I guess you have to try these things and risk failure if you want to take a model to the next level though. Mind as I am typing this I think I may have thought of a solution by not doing the entire Chaos Star and maybe doing just a section of it towards the bottom of the shield?

Thanks for the feedback also, It is really appreciated :tu:

Nemac

Have you thought about having the head facing upwards in the direction of the lifted leg with the thermal cannon arm at ease? Making the knight look as though its howling in rage. If that isn't possible then I'd go with the second option. The paintjob is looking ace.

Regarding the pose with the Ultramarine or PDF under the rock I should angle the head to the left side of the model and angle the cannon more to right side?

If you are going with the first pose, I think I would leave the head as it is in the first picture and just rotate the cannon clockwise, so makes for a bigger visual footprint and a more interesting silhouette. The head, on the other hand, already has the right "sniffing" pose -- in fact, the entire setup reminds me of that scene in the first Lord of the Rings film, with the Nazgul trying to find the hobbits while they are hiding beneath those tree roots msn-wink.gif

Regarding the Blood for the Blood God, that is what I've been using for all the other Chaos Icons but I'm just worried that it will get lost on the red stripe. I guess you have to try these things and risk failure if you want to take a model to the next level though. Mind as I am typing this I think I may have thought of a solution by not doing the entire Chaos Star and maybe doing just a section of it towards the bottom of the shield?

First of all, yes, definitely only a section of a chaos star! And you should probably test the effect on a different piece first (maybe you have a leftover shield or a Rhino hatch or something like that), in order to check whether or not it works without ruining the design you have on that heraldic plate. Also keep in mind that you can always add some brown or black wash to the blood effect to darken it down and create additional contrast.

EDIT: On a related note, there is a wounded Cadian that originally came as part of a metal Cadian command squad, IIRC, that would work perfectly underneath that rock. Just sayin'...

Thanks for the comments guys

@Soric - Unfortunately the hood over the head prevents it from being tilted upwards otherwise that would be a pretty cool pose :(

@KrautScientist - Now that you mention it it does look like that :D. I have done a mock up of another pose which I think works, also that Cadian is perfect and I have never seen one before so that will be something to scour eBay for this evening :). I will try adding black ink to the Blood God paint and do a mock up with one of the spare shields, don't know why but that didn't occur to me that I could mix it with inks :wallbash:

So here is another option for the pose, reaching down to rip the rock from above the (soon to be purchased) Cadian's head...

SAM_0700.JPG

SAM_0698.JPG

C&C always welcome!

Nemac

Well Mechanist Thanks :) and I have added the Chaos goodness to the shield but not sure on placement of any blood on the carapace because it won't show up on black and there is already a fair amount going on. Maybe Ill add a couple of pointy arrows starting from the grooves to either side of the silver plate above the hood. I'll think on it :D

And here it is as it stands. I've also added my little greenstuff banner to the bottom of the shield, taken Kraut's suggestion and added the hook to the thermal Cannon which I love by the way :tu: and finally added all the bars on the carapace.

SAM_0702.JPG

C&C welcome as always!

Nemac

Afternoon folks!

I have this morning completed the Litany of Destruction. I found some Cadian parts in one of my bits boxes so decided to attempt a scared trooper and I feel it came out quite well. I have painted him as a Calth PDF trooper. I have no clue what colour the Calth PDF wear but decided to go with blue overalls and white armour.

This has been amazing fun to paint and overall I'm very happy with how it's turned out. Also I'd like to say thanks for all the comments and advice you have given me during this project. I don't think it would have finished up half as well without it :D

And pictures:

SAM_0704.JPG

SAM_0705.JPG

SAM_0706.JPG

C&C welcome as always!

Nemac

Looking absolutely fantastic, man! Any chance of a few more pictures, especially of a shot taken from the same direction as the last one, but from a lower perspective?

Regarding the kitbashed trooper, I think you did a great job on him! The colours seem like a good match for Armaturan Academy Guard, if I recall the descriptions appearing in Betrayer correctly. Very nice!

That looks amazing. Not only in regards the paintjob, but the posing and whatnot as well. Love it. Definitely using this as inspiration for when I get a hold of the renegade box and start a Slaanesh knight. :)

Thanks very much guys :D, I really appreciate the feedback!

@KrautScientist - I am not at home at the moment but I will endeavour to get you those pictures as soon as possible :)

@DistroyA - I am pleased this inspires you, that's a great compliment, thank you :tu:

Nemac

Brilliant work, I'm considering converting one of these knights to look like its stomping so it's interesting for me to see what scope the model has for conversion

Paint job is wonderful, very clean.

Wouldn't wanna be that guardsman

Archived