m0nolith's WIP

For your Red, you say you used the Sons of Sanguinius guide. For the shading of the armour did you only use Agrax Earthshade? Some of the armour details look darker than what the Agrax Earthshade produces?

I'm in the process of re-doing my blood angels from scratch after starting during 2nd edition. I've done a few test minis but can't quite get the shading to look dark enough for my taste using this method, but yours look spot on.

Hope to see some more updates soon.

Nope, I'm using just regular old Agrax Earthshade.

If you want it to be a little darker, remember you can always mix Agrax Earthshade with Nulin Oil 50/50.

Nice subtle conversion work and spot on painting. Looking good.

Ty :biggrin.: 

Particularly like the use of that banner top for a decorative buckle.

Thanks, wasn't my idea though! I ran across a picture I think on Pinterest where someone else did this, so all credit to them.

Edited by m0nolith

After starting these Volkites back in 2016, I can finally say they're finished.

They've been repainted, had transfers applied, weathered, varnished, redid the bases., and replaced the MkIIIs with other models including one new plastic variant.

They also have magnets their right wrists so I can change up those Volkites with other weapons if the need arises.

I'm finally nearing the end of this very long two year painting process. These 10 are the first of a total of 40 BA Legionaries, and the rest are just about done as well so expect to see 3 more Tactical/Veteran squads soon.

gallery_86352_12089_382984.jpg

gallery_86352_12089_527955.jpg

gallery_86352_12089_200602.jpg

gallery_86352_12089_29409.jpg

gallery_86352_12089_435937.jpg

gallery_86352_12089_237391.jpg

Edited by m0nolith

So much variety across the squad. I absolutely approve. It's like the wonderful paint job is icing on top of the icing. Sooo good.

Thank you :)

I figured most legions utilized variety of different types of armour if the squad profiles in Book 2 are any indication, with a single mark being dominant but never the only type in service.

Badass unit. I like the golden coils, as seen on the FW books! :thumbsup:

Thanks! That's where I took the look from, I'm happy someone noticed it!

Exceptional work, bro! The level of detail is fantastic and the squad looks great altogether :thumbsup:

Thank you man. As always, coming from you, that means a lot!

Great looking CHOOM wielding Marines:thumbsup:

Martian Death Ray Club FTW :biggrin.:

--------------------------

I have another Tactical/Vet squad that I just finished and I'll be putting up pics for them as soon as I take some good ones. In the meantime, here are some WIP Legionaries that have the FW chest upgrade with the parchment in the center. I have a 3rd guy like this but I'm planning on leaving it blank without calligraphy since the parchment is almost fully obscured by the bolter.

gallery_86352_12089_619810.png

Absolutely stunning work, m0nolith. :thumbsup: I'm assuming you used a Micron (or similar) pen for the calligraphy?

Nope, just a brush with a very fine point. I find micron pens, even the smallest ones are too thick.

Awesome lettering! How long did it take to get them right? :biggrin.:

Agil about 2, Avino a solid 3 hours of work. The problem is finding a name that fits the two little indents, one on top and the other on bottom.

Love them! Great work

How do you do the lettering?? My attempts look like chicken scratches...

I figured out if I put the mini on a holder, like a cork or the GW painting handle and prop up my hands on a 11.5" x 9' x 2.5" box in front of me, it does a great job of keeping my hands steady.

Those Blood Angels are just delightful: Full of individuality, as befits a legion of artisans, and yet still suitably uniform as a squad. Excellent work!

I am also really envious of those freehanded names on the breastplates -- that's just showing off ;)

As always, incredible work brother.

How do you do the gold? It matches the FW color profile perfectly.

Auric Armour. Originally I painted all 40 marines with Balthasar Gold + Ghennas Gold + Agrax Earthsade, but then they released Auric Armour and after trying it out on a friends Chaplain Dreadnought, I decided to repainted all of the gold parts with it.

Those Blood Angels are just delightful: Full of individuality, as befits a legion of artisans, and yet still suitably uniform as a squad. Excellent work!

I am also really envious of those freehanded names on the breastplates -- that's just showing off :wink:

Thank you good sir :happy.:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here is the first Tactical/Veteran Squad that's done. Two more to come :biggrin.:

gallery_86352_12089_1080320.jpg

gallery_86352_12089_214678.jpg

gallery_86352_12089_668344.jpg

gallery_86352_12089_422788.jpg

gallery_86352_12089_526366.jpg

gallery_86352_12089_707668.jpg

Edited by m0nolith

• 2 weeks later...

Leviathan finished!

gallery_86352_12089_756905.jpg

WOW these are all great!
Really well done!

Thank you!

Breathtaking paintwork, what a fantastic army.

Thank you for the kind words :smile.:

Fantastic work as always, bro! I love the Blood Angel upgrades, I might need to get some for my Sons of Horus :thumbsup:

Always feels great to get a compliment from my favorite painter on B&C!

Had two great games against the Thousand Sons.
The first game went to the 1kS, the second to my BA.
Both of them came down to the wire! Ahriman is tough, but my Blade of Salty Tears and Leviathan did their job!

gallery_86352_12089_500335.jpg

gallery_86352_12089_864720.jpg

Gorgeous.

Thanks! I cant wait to see more of your Brazen Claws!

Edited by m0nolith