40 minutes is fast? If you say so. :lol: But yeah, when stuff needs to get done, I usually just sit down and plough through until it's done. Efficiency is key for victory. ;)

jimbo13, on 02 Oct 2016 - 7:56 PM, said:

snapback.png

Progress. Need to touch up a few spots. Especially the bolters. I want them to be nice and clean like the bases. Plus have to touch up the short swords pouches. Going to test out OSL lenses too!!!

*snip*

Looking good, though the armour seems far dirtier. Is that intentional?

Dos- Yeah man, I'm using them as Excoriators Sternguard so their armor is supposed to look brutalized and dirty. Once I clean up the bolters and do the other touch ups it will look a bit better. I wanted them to go on the tabletop so I got the bases finished and then the initial one or painted sections done. This vow unfortunately will hit the back burner this week. I'm going on a work trip for a full week ohmy.png but shall come back with a Vengeance....

Ha! I'd need to drill the barrels of all my models, but frankly hand-drilling is an exercise in futility, and my current electric drill can't take a 1mm drill bit required by most models dry.png

Even after making the start of the hole with a knife I find trying hand-drilling the plastic is much like trying to scrape mold lines with just your fingernails tongue.png Never mind the metal models...

Yeah, metal can be a pain. On plastic, if you are off a little bit, then you have two choices: replace the part or accept and move on. You'll start to learn that 'perfect' is an illusion only known to sorcerers and the insane ;)

Yeah... as a Templar player I feel that. So many hurricane bolters and assault cannons... Also honestly the reason I decided to put the lascannons on my CL stormraven instead of the assault cannons. Bad enough I vowed to do the Hurricane Bolters on it. :D

Double posting... shame on me.

Just an update on the hull, except for a few details to be picked out it's coming along and should hopefully be donish this week so I can move onto the weapons. I'm itching to do something different though... This is sucking the life right out of me :D

14572878_1400502523313057_24589913119632

14591709_1400502559979720_82914651749011

Double posting... shame on me.

Just an update on the hull, except for a few details to be picked out it's coming along and should hopefully be donish this week so I can move onto the weapons. I'm itching to do something different though... This is sucking the life right out of me biggrin.png

14572878_1400502523313057_24589913119632

14591709_1400502559979720_82914651749011

But the time you've spent on it is so worth it!jawdrop.gif

The Chapter panel looks spectacular against the drabness of the rest of the body.

Awesome work cool.png

Ha! I'd need to drill the barrels of all my models, but frankly hand-drilling is an exercise in futility, and my current electric drill can't take a 1mm drill bit required by most models dry.png

How is hand drilling your gun barrels an excercise in futility? It's not that much work, hand drilling givs far ,ore control that machine drilling, and the results add greatly to your models.

It's the right tools that make the difference. The GW hand drill is perfect, although the drill bits they provide are a bit lackinig. I've found that drill bits with cobalt in their alloy work best: as the cobalt makes the steel harder, it allows for a tighter spiral, and as such a sharper drill edge - which allows for far more control. The drill beat just eats into plastic just right where you place it. thumbsup.gif

Try ebay and search for "1mm cobalt drill" - you'll easily find some good bits. :tu:

Now this:

Hardware store doesn't carry bits small enough around here... lol

Is no longer a valid excuse! msn-wink.gif

How is hand drilling your gun barrels an excercise in futility? It's not that much work, hand drilling givs far ,ore control that machine drilling, and the results add greatly to your models.

It's the right tools that make the difference. The GW hand drill is perfect, although the drill bits they provide are a bit lackinig. I've found that drill bits with cobalt in their alloy work best: as the cobalt makes the steel harder, it allows for a tighter spiral, and as such a sharper drill edge - which allows for far more control. The drill beat just eats into plastic just right where you place it. thumbsup.gif

The hand drill I have is pretty decent, but I don't know - I guess maybe it's the drill bits themselves, they really just don't "bite" into the plastic. Even with the electric drill it takes quite a bit of pressure to get the holes done (2 mm and 3 mm ones, for magnets).

The hand drill I have is pretty decent, but I don't know - I guess maybe it's the drill bits themselves, they really just don't "bite" into the plastic. Even with the electric drill it takes quite a bit of pressure to get the holes done (2 mm and 3 mm ones, for magnets).

Then you should really get some cobalt drills. They 'bite' even with the slightest pressure. Torque instead of pressure becomes the driving force with those. :tu:

Archived