Black Book - The Eastern Expansion Campaigns

simison

Unrelated to Insurgos but something I thought we could include in this book. Perhaps an ork Waaagh attacks human space and Icarion diverts forces to fight, using the waaagh as an unplanned opportunity for a bit of PR building?

Eh, I don't like it. Breaks the theme of civil war by abruptly focusing on an external threat. 

60,000, according to Raktra's last post on the subject. I'd lean towards just a little less.

Sorry, my brain's fuzzy today (I blame it on a horribly warm day and taking a raw chicken thigh to the face). I mean that up until the Day of Revelation, the Morning Stars are still part of the Void Eagles, while the Shepherds get a full century as an autonomous force, with a decent supply of recruits.

30 000 Morning Stars seems good. Theoretically, Great Fleets are 10 000-strong, but that's a highly theoretical number, and takes into account the Void Eagles high propensity of blowing themselves up accidentally. Morningstars have more regard for their own life.

That feel when some of these splinter legions are the size of or bigger than the whole XVII legion :p

I can only imagine how the Grave Stalkers feel...

It ain't about the size, it's what you do with it.

Unless it IS about size.

That feel when some of these splinter legions are the size of or bigger than the whole XVII legion :p

I can only imagine how the Grave Stalkers feel...

It ain't about the size, it's what you do with it.

The Iron Bears & their Womenfolk would beg to differ. ;) :D

Although all Insurgos comprised the largest organization of defectors, size was not uniform between Insurgos. The Ember Host, which numbered a scant 200 space marines paled in comparison to the dauntless Shepherds of Eden, a force of 60,000 which outnumbered two legions, the Warriors of Peace and the Grave Stalkers. The extent of armouries, command structure, and strategic tendencies (which could vastly differ from their own parent legions) were all variables that separated one Insurgo force from another. One of the few threads that united them was a reliance on powerful and charismatic leaders to maintain their own identity, separate from all others. 

Regardless of composition and power, each Insurgo would carve out their own legends throughout the Insurrection. Whether they would blaze bright trails that ended in fire and destruction or were whittled away by battlefield attrition, only a rare few of the Insurgos would survive the civil war. 

Alright, I have enough material to cover the Insurgo introduction page. Since the Insurgos are distinct fighting forces, we're not going to use a Retribution-style introduction. Instead we're going to use a more classic legion introduction, so that I don't end up using too many details for the intro that should be reserved for the Insurgos.

That said, we've hit a snag on the Insurgo symbol. We can either create a new one that denotes everyone, or we can showcase the four appropriate Insurgo symbols together. I know Blunt just asked about Malis and his band's livery, which begs the question: how distinct are these Insurgos. We know they use different tactics and names, but do they go all out in changing their emblems and appearance?

Alright, the Insurgos definitely do have some unique symbols. So, to represent the two chapters we'll have for them, do we want to feature the relevant symbols for each Insurgo or create a universal one for them?