Black Book - The Eastern Expansion Campaigns

simison

As they are not necessarily connected or allied I w

Suggest to keep away from a universal one. Maybe to show their heritage incorporate their origin legion symbol (maybe in the bottom left or so) this shows where they are from and that they are a splinter group

Bloodlords symbol...

As they are deriving from Mardum it has to be different to the regular, imperial stuff.

Will think about tribe crests for the different factions within the Predators.

What I can say right now is that the Bloodlords crest will reminiscing Khornes in one way or another as they will become a Khorne Daemonkin force.

Well, so far we have one vote to showcase the different Insurgo symbols as opposed to picking one universal symbol for the Insurgo introduction page. 

What do other people think?

Why not combine the two ideas by having a universal Insurgos symbol but add in the respective faction's symbol in the bottom-right quarter of the badge, like a reversed Praetors of Orpheus logo:

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/9/90/PraetorsofOrpheusbadge.jpg

Edited by SanguiniusReborn

I'm for an universal.

Why?

Shattered Legions got one

Blackshields got one

Why not the Insurgos?

Because I personally find it a bit strange that we have the same.symbol for loyalist and traitor insurgos.

And what Sanguinius suggested.is close to that what I had in mind.

Yeah but that doesn't bother anyone while looking in the Blackshields.

I'm talking about one universal image for their introduction in book 2.

Not one crest for all of them.

Well, that solved the debate. So, we'll go with that idea.

That means I need to cut down some of the stuff I wrote for the intro page, but it should be done, text-wise, by the end of the day.

Meros is making good progress on the Preface. Hope to have that done in a couple of more rounds of revisions. 

Blunt is making progress on the Shepherds. I'll step into the thread and see if I need to comment on anything.

I'm under the impression that Squig is working on the Dune Serpents behind the scenes, and we might see another huge post like he did with the Godslayers.

Keep up the work everyone.

The Insurgos

While the Primarchs were the undisputed masters of their respective legions, not one of these gene-sires were capable of securing the complete loyalty from all of their sons. Many a loyal Lightning Bearer would meet their end due to their father's machinations before the Insurrection came to be. Yet, disloyal sons were not always composed of a few renegades. Insurgo was the high-gothic designation for a sizable and well-organized band of space marines that chose a different path from their Primarch.  

Thus, while the number of Halcyon Wardens who chose the Stormlord over their own Warmaster may number upwards of 15,000, only the 6,000 Traitor Halcyon Wardens under the command of the infamous Malis were counted as an Insurgo. Given the secret purges of Icarion, this ensured that the Insurgos were disproportionately represented by defections from Loyalist legions. This is not to say that there were no Insurgos who took a stand against their erstwhile liege lords, such as the vaunted Shepherds of Eden, but merely that they were fewer in number compared to their mirror counterparts. 

Outside of those parameters, there existed a great deal of variation between the Insurgos. Most of them came into being at the onset of the Insurrection as the divide between Loyalist and Traitor became clear. Two, however, unofficially came into being during the Great Crusade, the famed Shepherds of Eden and the Morning Stars. Although all Insurgos comprised the largest organization of defectors, size was not uniform between Insurgos. The Ember Host, which numbered a scant 200 space marines paled in comparison to the dauntless Shepherds of Eden, a force of 60,000 which outnumbered two legions, the Warriors of Peace and the Grave Stalkers. 

Regardless of power and origin, each Insurgo would carve out their own legends throughout the Insurrection. Whether they would blaze bright trails that ended in fire and destruction or were whittled away by battlefield attrition, only a rare few of the Insurgos would survive the civil war. 

[Revised for space.]

The Preface and Insurgo intro are being handled. Until we confirm the Jackels' position, we can't start the campaign info.

Want to write out the first part of the general history? All HH books start with a recap of the Insurrection's start.

Or, if Skal or Squig want the help, feel free to give them a boost.

The Preface and Insurgo intro are being handled. Until we confirm the Jackels' position, we can't start the campaign info.

Want to write out the first part of the general history? All HH books start with a recap of the Insurrection's start.

Or, if Skal or Squig want the help, feel free to give them a boost.

Shall I start with the Day of Revelation or from the Qarith Triumph until the present?

Including the Schism and subsequent battles? I feel the latter should be in Book 2.

We have Alexandros remotely wrecking a maniple of Legio Mortis. Presumably while Irvin Ruel leads the defence of Magma City, and perhaos accompanied by fighting in the wastes. Then the Warmaster touches down and the Halcyon Wardens drive Kelbor-Hal out of his fortress.

Edited by bluntblade

Including the Schism and subsequent battles? I feel the latter should be in Book 2

I was responding to Sig. I didn't see your post, until just now. I think it'll be a red box.

So, basic info on Mars.

Prelude

Now, Horus used data taken from the Technocracy to unlock the Vaults of Moravec, which held a pile of goodies that Kelbor-Hal wanted. We could run with this, but do we want to do so, or introduce a different bargaining chip? I assume the Kaban is still a thing.

Outbreak

In any case, Kelbor-Hal has to move as soon as the Day of Revelation rolls around, which leaves the loyalists reeling for a day or two until Ruel deploys with a large force of the Halcyon Wardens. On arriving, I believe - from what Sim's said - their priority is to halt the traitor advance and secure the loyalist forges that haven't yet been overrun. Obviously the traitors are hobbled when Alex totals a maniple of the Legio Mortis, and after that and the arrival of the Dragon of Autumn, he descends to the surface to lead the counterattack.

If the Kaban is indeed a thing, perhaps a detachment should be sent to hunt it and Krom down?

We should really have the Wardens' phalanx go up against some Secutarii Hoplites

Outcome

Most of Kelbor-Hal's supporters are killed, and he flees Mars, presumably to face Icarion's displeasure and ultimately be sidelined by the forgemasters of Akira and Cognis.

Edited by bluntblade

The Insurgos

While the Primarchs were the undisputed masters of their respective legions, not one of these gene-sires were capable of securing the complete loyalty from all of their sons. Many a loyal Lightning Bearer would meet their end due to their father's machinations before the Insurrection came to be. Yet, disloyal sons were not always composed of a few renegades. Insurgo was the high-gothic designation for a sizable and well-organized band of space marines that chose a different path from their Primarch.  

Thus, while the number of Halcyon Wardens who chose the Stormlord over their own Warmaster may number upwards of 15,000, only the 6,000 Traitor Halcyon Wardens under the command of the infamous Malis were counted as an Insurgo. Given the secret purges of Icarion, this ensured that the Insurgos were disproportionately represented by defections from Loyalist legions. This is not to say that there were no Insurgos who took a stand against their traitorous liege lords, but merely that they were fewer in number compared to their mirror counterparts. 

Outside of those parameters, there existed a great deal of variation between the Insurgos. Most of them came into being at the onset of the Insurrection as the divide between Loyalist and Traitor became clear. Two, however, unofficially came into being during the Great Crusade, the famed Shepherds of Eden and the Morning Stars. Although all Insurgos comprised the largest organization of defectors, size was not uniform between Insurgos. The Ember Host, which numbered a scant 200, paled in comparison to the dauntless Shepherds of Eden, a force of 60,000 which outnumbered two legions. 

Regardless of power and origin, each Insurgo would carve out their own legends throughout the Insurrection. Whether they would blaze bright trails that ended in fire and destruction or were whittled away by battlefield attrition, only a rare few of the Insurgos would survive the civil war. 

[Final revision. Will post on Heresy30k.]

Run into writer's block for Escalation. So, until I can get back to working on that, is there anything I can write for book 2?

I wouldn't mind assistance on the IV Legion "origins" section, while I get myself to finish Yucahu's pre-Imperial lore (which now has a HALO vibe)