Soldier of Dorn

Gotcha! I plan to paint a Knight chassis plus base a month with the armour panels rolling over to the next month, if I have planned correctly, I will hopefully be able to squeeze my Cerastus-Magaera conversion in at the end...hopefully.

... well, there is supposed to be a one unit each month thing, but since you're only doing 4 units (IIRC) I'll let it slide. :D

My priests are getting a bit grouchy I've not started painting them yet. Not sure if I should vow half of them which comes in at 275 points or just do the whole 10 at 550 points?

If I batch paint them they should be pretty quick to paint.

I'm working up a "final" list as I'm finishing up my army's fluff

So far it's looking like I've got in the neighborhood of 2800 points worth of models already I hand in various stages of the assembly/conversion process. I've also got around 4000ish points worth of models that have already been ordered or are going to be very soon. All of which are intended for this army. should I post the 2800 as my official list and then post everything else as a separate list of intended expansions?

Well after having a bitz box sort out I seem to have 40+ DW on the cards.

So I think I'll be doing the 10 Priests plus Hereticus Inquisitor (not sure which one), then it'll be some Xenos Inquisitors plus the DW. While I'm doing that lot I'll have time to convert up some GK's using old school metal GK's in TDA and be able to gs up the Bulgryns a lot more. They'll be my Inquisitor Lords personal retinue! ;)

So here's the beginning of the fluff I've been working to give you an idea of where I'm going theme wise.

When Vulkan restructured the XVIIIth legion into the seven main "Realms" he also created an eighth. Nowhere near the size of it's brother realms the 8th was given the designation of realm Ignea named for the cold labyrinthine underworld of Nocturne. This final realm consisted of one larger than normal battle company which maintained between 200-250 legionaires. This company was known as the Ash Vipers was named after a creature that inhabited the volcanic planes surrounding mount Deathfire. The Ash Vipers were intended to be a specialized assault company at first but began to take on an entirely different role throughout the great crusade. The company took on a serious tide of misfortune seeing 6 Lord Commanders fall in a century and a half. Two of whom are interred in dreadnoughts and still serving. Rumors began to spread of a curse on realm Ignea and too speak there name was thought by many to bring bad luck. With such a high turnover rate in the company's chain of command in a short period of time the force had been led by Lord Commanders specializing in close quarters assault, ship to ship boarding actions, siege combat, and armoured assault just to name a few. Consequently because of the constant cross training and changing of battlefield roles the veteran Astartes of the Ash Vipers are masters of numerous styles of warfare and have an innate ability to adapt to any situation. Unfortunately because of the rumoured "Curse" volunteers to the company are near non existent. To replenish its ranks Vulkan began using enlistment in the Ash Vipers as punishment or a type of censure for those legionaires who failed to uphold the Promethean  Creed. It was only fitting that a realm named for the underworld of Nocturne become a means for redemption.

So basically the Salamanders red marked edition :)

The great crusade would see many bloody battles for the Ash Vipers. Hundreds of wayward sects of humanity were brought back into the fold by force, even more complied at the mere mention of the Ash Vipers. It had in fact become common practice at the beginning of a compliance for Tőzakan Ul'rak the third Lord commander of the Vipers, and now a Contemptor Dreadnought. To be dropped to the surface of a planet accompanied only by the other two dreadnoughts that act as his honour guard to deliver terms too the planet's government. More often than not the sight of Talon Ul'rak alone was enough to sway the majority of the planetary governors. When it wasn't there armament has proven on more than one occasion to be sufficient to remove any who refused to cooperate.

http://s9.postimg.org/opur788rj/20160921_225321.jpgimage hosting sites

I'm working on fleshing out my characters and some more background I'm having a hard time making the army similar to the red marked without making them the red marked though. I'd love to hear any of your thoughts. On another note I'll get my list up asap I'm still maKing sure I've got everything and then transferring the list from battlescribe over to text and removing all the unwanted info. Which wouldn't be so bad but I do everything on my phone.

Well, I couldn't resist going a little retro, so treated myself to one of these on fleabay ....

http://i65.tinypic.com/4hoy1k.jpg

I've rectified its mangy background, and it now stands ready for some extreme pinkness!!

http://i64.tinypic.com/6to4dc.jpg

http://i66.tinypic.com/2ztm782.jpg

I'm thinking of getting at least two, so one might get a multi melta and gravitron gun. Do you think it best to keep the melta underslung and give the gunner the gravitron? Any thoughts on what to use for the HK missile? and where to put it??

Vox-transcript Epsilon-X-III-Null

::: Recovered from wreckage of Ident:Herald

*elaboration - long range defense satellite*

Literic - Gothic/unknown mix

Encryption - Negative

Accompanied - Positive: PictCapt Theta-VIII

Identifier - Negative

Reroute...

------------------------------------------------------------------

Darkness falls upon your bloated world.

Rejoice, for upon its ebon wings

Will be your salvation

Tesha Sorsollun, Tesha Uthullun

Tesha Voroshica

Solruthis veh za jass

http://i1072.photobucket.com/albums/w376/Aeternas/Curzle_zpswqu4tw6x.jpg

Obscura: Sounds good! Looking forward to seeing some paint on those lovely, twisted Emperor's Children of yours.

SW1: I'd do them in two groups of five, but I'm a pretty slow painter. It's your decision ultimately.

Pyroclast: Yeah, 2800 points sounds good. It's not quite as overwhelming, and you can always expand from there. The Eighth Realm is an interesting bit of fluff. I like it. :)

Lord Commander Eidolon: Dude. That looks sweet. I'd actually try and make the graviton underslung, and the multi-melta the pintle mount, but that's just me. Honestly, it'll work either way and going through the effort of carving the multi-melta off probably won't be worth it to most people.

Aeternas: Goddamn, that's a pretty model. I already commented in your own thread, but damn. The helmet makes him look lovely (though I do like the bare head too.)

Currently working on my new starting list:

Ordo Hereticus:

Inquisitor - Lvl 1 mastery with a force sword

55 points

Inquisitor - Nul Rod, Liber Heresius

65 points

10 Priests all armed with Eviscerators

550 points

Ordo Xenos:

4x Inquisitor - Power Armour, Pair of Power Weapons, plus Rad and Psychotroke Grenades

4 x 83 = 332 points

And then there will be an initial 500 points of DW which will take me to 1,500 points.

The Xenos Inquisitor options don't have power fists as options an the Orrus (Spyrer Rig) models I'm using have them with bolt launchers on the back of their fists. The Malcodon (Spyrer Rig) models have paired claws and web spinners. So I think I'll count both types as paired power weapons plus Rad and Psychotroke Grenades (the bolt launchers on the Orrus and the web spinners on the Malcodon can count as these) in Power Armour.

Just looking at the rules for the priests and they all count as characters so if you have a character wanting to wipe out a unit just slap a challenge with one of them. They also have 4+ inv saves and 2 attacks base with ap2 s6 armourbane hand weapons! It's an expensive unit but with some lucky rolls be able to munch through stuff that people wouldn't expect a humble priest to be able to do. They could easily go big tank hunting especially since they also have Zealot so re-roll first round of combat to hit rolls!!! And pull off the Hymn that gives the unit a re-roll armour/inv saves going off RAW there's nothing stopping another Priest singing the hymn that gives you the re-roll to wound as well.

If you fancy going cheap you could swarm with 3 priests and cheap acolytes. Pull off the hymn that gives the unit SMASH and then they all have the equivalent of Evisorators but with a single attack rather than 2 but with doesn't go at Initative 1. Actually may be better than shelling the points out for the Evisorators as it's cheaper an they'd munch a unit of TDA with power fists with a bit of luck.

Lol ... Sorry for the sidetracked mind but it seems like I may have thought of something a bit cheeky. ;)

Finally nailed down a list... For the moment anyways.

++ Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List (Age of Darkness) (3060pts) ++

+ HQ (611pts) +

Nēro Tyranus - Legion Praetor (446pts) [Digital Lasers, Grenade Harness, Mantle of the Elder Drake, Mastercraft a Single Weapon, Paragon Blade, Tartaros Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, Volkite Charger]

····(Optional) Relics of the Dark Age of Technology [Zeroth Conductor Shield]

····Legion Terminator Command Squad [Grenade Harness, Heavy Flamer, 3x Legion Space Marine Chosen, Tartaros Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, 2x Volkite Charger]

Ölak - Legion Centurion (165pts) [Artificer Armour, Artificer Weapons, Power Weapon, Psychic Mastery Level 2, Refractor Field, Volkite Charger]

····Legiones Astartes [Legion Specific Rules]

····May be upgraded to one of these Consul roles: [Librarian]

+ Troops (652pts) +

Legion Terminator Squad (247pts) [Cataphractii Terminator Armour with Combi-bolter and Power Weapon, 4x Chainfist, Heavy Flamer, 4x Legion Terminators]

····Legion Terminator Sergeant [Artificer Weapons, Combi-Weapon, Grenade Harness]

Legion Veteran Tactical Squad (405pts) [7x Combi-weapon, 9x Legion Veteran Space Marines, Legion Vexilla, Marksmen, Melta Bombs, Nuncio-Vox, 2x Volkite Charger]

····Legion Rhino Armoured Carrier [Auxiliary Drive, Extra Armour, Heavy Flamer, Hunter-Killer Missile]

····Legion Veteran Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Artificer Weapons, Combi-weapon, Power Fist, Volkite Serpenta]

+ Elites (575pts) +

Contemptor Dreadnought Talon (220pts)

····Legion Contemptor Dreadnought [Heavy Conversion Beamer, Plasma Cannon]

Legion Dreadnought Talon (355pts)

····Legion Dreadnought [Armoured Ceramite, Chainfist with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, Extra Armour, Volkite Culverin]

····Legion Dreadnought [Armoured Ceramite, Chainfist with inbuilt twin-linked Bolter, Extra Armour, Flamestorm Cannon, Heavy Flamer]

+ Fast Attack (230pts) +

Legion Seeker Squad (230pts) [4x Combi-weapon, 4x Legion Seeker Space Marines, Nuncio-Vox]

····Legion Strike Leader [Artificer Weapons, Melta Bombs, Power Armour, Power Fist]

+ Heavy Support (567pts) +

Legion Heavy Support Squad (257pts) [Hardened Armour, 4x Legion Space Marines, Volkite Culverin]

····Legion Sergeant [Artificer Armour, Artificer Weapons, Augury Scanner, Melta Bombs]

········Exchange heavy weapon for a Nuncio-vox and Chainsword/Combat Blade [bolter, Plasma Pistol, Power Fist]

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought Talon (310pts)

····Tőzakan Ul'rak - Leviathan Siege Dreadnought [Armoured Ceramite, Leviathan Storm Cannon, 2x Twin-linked Volkite Caliver]

+ Lord of War (425pts) +

Vulkan (425pts) [Primarch]

I have a feeling this list probably isn't gonna be the most competitive kid on the block but I can count the number of games I've played on one hand. Maybe someone will teach me after I have a fully painted army ;) But being competitive has never been what drives me I this hobby anyways is always been the modeling side that's been my love and addiction and one thing this army will have is plenty of modeling opportunity. including my first foray into the world of scratch building. I've admired the amazing scratch builds that people like BCK And so many others have done and finally decided I need to add plasticard to my hobby arsenal.

http://s21.postimg.org/5lhydkeqf/20160923_002110.jpgimage upload no compression

it's still in the very early WIP stages but I'm amazed at how easy this stuff is to work with I'll be kicking myself for not trying it sooner for the rest of my life. I'd love to hear any thoughts or suggestions any of you may have.

Also wasn't this thread originally intended for WIP shenanigans? I suppose it would be easier to keep track of one thread opposed to two.But won't the other thread become quite cluttered if we discontinue this one?

I've finalized what I'm going to build/paint for each month.

OCT: Eidolon with Jump Pack

NOV: Primus Medicae with Jump Pack and Sonic Shrieker

DEC: 3x Legion Apothecaries with 3x Augury Scanner

JAN: 19x Assault Marines with 1x Assault Sergeant equipped with 20x Sonic Shriekers

FEB: 10x Kakophoni

MAR:10x Kakophoni 

APR: 10x Kakophoni

My initial plan is to go soft with my initial build/paint schedule, plus it gives me more time to finalize some conversions for my Kakophoni along with the Assault Marines, right now I have to find two dozen more three shingle pouch bits, two dozen two shingle pouches and a flamer attachment for the Contemptor claw.  ( I think I have them somewhere, otherwise I'll have to raid a local bits box or beg from someone here, FUN TIMES ) Though I will say, it is nice to almost be done with this project that I started a year ago.

@Dosjetka: Yeah but we all know thats how you roll, buddy. I half expect them to change Chapter about five times over the course of the challenge too tongue.png. I'm disappointed that you aren't painting your own Chapter like you were talking about a while ago, but then again I am a huge DIY fanatic.

@Pyroclast: Thats just a few guys to get sorted. I am feeling you on the whole "counting amount of games played on one hand". I could count them on one finger... Doesn't matter how competitive the list is, however, as long as you have fun playing with it. Thats the tactic I went with. My list is probably about as strong as a wet paper bag but at least it should be fun.

@Uveron: Can I just say I am really excited to see how you go with these guys. As I said earlier I love DIY and a DIY Blood Angels are few and far between. Almost makes me wish I was doing my DIY Dark Angels. But no, Iron Heralds all the way. I also love how you are themeing your force on a counter to your Traitors, much the same as I am. My advice would be assemble your first month commitment at the least and then, while waiting for the undercoat to dry you can assemble the next month. Maximises hobby time. happy.png

@Obscura: At first I thought you had a really small (as in few models) list. Then I saw you were painting up to twenty guys a month for the second half of the Tale... Better you then me buddy... blink.png

Well I have all but the three librarians, fifteen tacticals and the armour assembled with blue tac and ready to go. Oh, and bases and minor conversion work on the Chaplain. And I still need to get the models for the Captain and Command squad... Okay more then I thought. sad.png But of course this wouldn't be an SP thing unless I decided to make it harder on myself. I shall also pledge to add reams of fluff for these guys as I go around the Ascarron Uprising, a Chaos uprising the Iron Heralds were called to suppress. I imagine I will flesh most of it out in my own WIP thread, but will keep things moving here too of course.

Mh. I need to make a final decision on my list and be done with it. Otherwise I'll be tinkering with it every bloody week. dry.png

Same with me. I just can't decide what to take as an HQ choice. Leaning towards a Cataphractii Captain or Chaplain.

Nice to see everyone's plans starting to come together. Mine's looking something like this (subject to change of course.)

October: Seeker Squad

November: Vindicators

December: Tactical Squad

January: Tactical Squad

February: Recon Marines and Contemptor

March: Terminators

April: ?

With the HQ choice thrown in there somewhere. Just an early draft, so still subject to change, but that seems... doable, even for me.

Should have had an early night as the next shift at work starts in the morning. Not looking forward to the early start.

However I found some of the original mk8 lead marines. Seems their chests at the perfect width for the different two armed options (hth's, shotguns, frag cannons, ect). So there's a handful of those who need to get added to the mix. I've also shaved the wolfy bits off a TDA heavy flamer chain fist and a pair of claws. The chainsword bit of the fist has been removed and a bit I cast up that looks like a melta barrel has been glued in place.

I've also created a librarian combining the hooded head of the black shield with the GK's TDA kit.

Should be able to grab pics tomorrow night as long as I don't get back late.

@Obscura: At first I thought you had a really small (as in few models) list. Then I saw you were painting up to twenty guys a month for the second half of the Tale... Better you then me buddy... blink.png

It's because I hate myself. :D

Archived