To start with Astra...

Ok, it's all starting to come together.

I was continuing work on my first squad last night and now I have a flamer and a grenade launcher staring me in the face.  They both make sense.  Not sure which to model, though.  Leaning toward grenade launcher ATM.  

I should start a plog for this. It's a ground up project, after all... 

Anyway, I will let this percolate a bit and revise the proposed shortly.  Thank you all.

Personally I like grenade launchers, but all lasgun squads make a ton of sense. Put the Special Weapons in the PCS, and in Special Weapons Squads. An all demo charge SWS is hilarious.

It's all up to you, but if you really want to maximize the utility  of orders, forget putting special or heavy weapons in your infantry squads and just take additional SWS and HWS to get the firepower. 

The plastic bits went to my Vets, my Guardsmen use the metal ones but this is fine as they mostly have the likes of flamers and grenade launchers so they don't need many. You can steal them from Marine sprues and give them to Guardsmen without too much work :)

My primary source of special weapons is in veteran squads, which I usually use my Kasrkin for, and I proxy. My plastic guardsmen are all regular guardsmen and so I use the bits from the box. 

I can't be bothered to purchase kasrkin special weapons. Especially now that they are going to become solar auxilia, and that means my grenade launchers will become rotor cannons. 

Grrr.  Having trouble with photos.  I guess I'll have to work through that.

Anyway, thoughts on throwing an inquisitor into a Guard force?  Coteaz seems like far and away the most points efficient way to go for Inquisitors, but it's also 100 points for a single model.  Better to do a generic one perhaps?  Or are most infantry units just too squishy to justify rolling an inquisitor with them?

Coteaz is an  incredibly good deal for 100 points.  Probably one of the best deals in the whole game really, you can't go wrong with him.  As guard one of your primary weaknesses is going to be enemy deep strikes; once the enemy is in your lines with a resilient assault unit, meltaguns, flamers, dreadknights and so forth your entire army will generally crumple and crumple very hard.  Coteaz has the potential to prevent this if you put him in a unit with powerful shooting and place him strategically.  Note: you will never actually get to use his special "I've been expecting you" rule (unless the enemy scatters into his radius by accident) but that is because no one will dare deep strike near Coteaz in a Command Squad with 4 plasma guns and Prescience, or 3 plasma servitors or something equally deadly.  When placed well he creates a 24" no deep strike zone around him and you really need that as Guard (unless of course you play against people who don't use any of the common and powerful deep striking units!).

He brings more than this however.  He looks like a man. Upon discovering his longtime mentor's dabbling with chaos he personally executed him and launched his ashes into a star. He has a 2+ armor save, a STR6 AP2 Force hammer, a bird that can potentially dish out 6 str4 shots per turn (and you get to whisper "fly true" whenever you target something with it).  He is a ML2 Psyker.  He lets you re-roll seize the initiative AND forces your opponent to re roll a successful seize against you. He has Psyk out grenades and krak grenades.

And as if this wasn't enough you get the satisfaction of seeing the look on your opponents face when his disgusting psyflaming dread knight that was going to torch your poor defenseless guardsmen scatters his deep strike into Coteaz's range and, after you as pretentiously as possible exclaim "AH! I've been expecting you!", proceed to pelt it with plasma rounds before taking out its final wound (and eyes) with Cotez's eagle (as you whisper "fly true" of course).  All this for 100 points!

• 3 weeks later...

I have a few metal cadian ones that come in blisters... they look awesome to, I love the power supply backpacks.

I saw them. The problem with that is that I don't really plan on running plasma outside my command squad. And my command squad is being converted as a kitbash of Cadian and MT parts. I may have a team of plasma vets in the future, but for now I need them to rock with melta guns. So each blister would be a a plasma gunner that I don't want. Maybe I should buy three anyway. I dunno.

The plastic bits went to my Vets, my Guardsmen use the metal ones but this is fine as they mostly have the likes of flamers and grenade launchers so they don't need many. You can steal them from Marine sprues and give them to Guardsmen without too much work smile.png

Are the oversized hands a problem? Or is it basically unnoticeable? Even so, I often magnetize my special weapon troopers. I doubt I have very many marine meltas laying about.

It does yeah, FW do some special weapon Cadian troops too that are cool and match that smile.png

They do. And I do want to get some items from the to give some spice to my veterans. But it's so expensive, I'd like to have an alternate plan for Joe Veteran.

Archived