[HH1.0] Legio Custodes Tactica

Charlo

What do we think of the following.

Cladius normal vs the exterminator

I'm personally leaning towards the normal being better most times as it's more flexible but I prefer the exterminator model and figure as a 3rd one having some s10 ap1 exoshock could do some damage.

Also jetbikes adratnic vs Las pulser

The standard gun fills am anti industry role but both of these weapons are more towards anti vehicle and mechanicum creatures. The Las pulser has further range and averaged the same 2 shots it also posses s9 and the same ap2. The destructor has instant death and armourbane and is more consistent in it's fire but does come with gets hot it's also 1/5th the price. I'm leaning towards adrathic as A) it's a lot cheaper 60 points in 3 bikes 120 in the 6 I want to take. B) it destroys mechanicum while it sounds on a worse role the instant death means you've only got to wound once to down a castellax or thanatar vs 4 times of the Las pulser. C) vs heavy vehicles the adrathic seems better it averaged a 13 (7+6) while the Las pulser averages 12.5 (9+3.5) the adrathic also has a small chance to pen flare shields though not a great one. D) the main downside I see is gets hot is a pain but not to bad with 2+ save and the other is lower range but they are t6 2w 2+ 5++ and on jetbikes with combat capability so I don't think they kind getting close and unlike melta the 2d6 is at the full 18".

As it is pre-faq it's flat cost for the entire squad and coupled with twin linked it's just a better option. Custodes have the hardest time dealing with armour; their native high strength and number of attacks let them chew through other stuff without the need for dedicated guns

As it is pre-faq it's flat cost for the entire squad and coupled with twin linked it's just a better option. Custodes have the hardest time dealing with armour; their native high strength and number of attacks let them chew through other stuff without the need for dedicated guns

Personally I wouldn't ever play with them as a flat cost no way it's balanced that way especially for Las pulser on say a 6 man.

The twin linked I did not actually see that does make them a bit better but if playing at individual costs it's still very expensive.

Am I missing something or just an oblivious idiot, while assembling my Vexilla I accidentally put a shield in his off (left) hand. Looking at the rules, he can't have a shield, only a MC power sword or sentinel warblade.

However, I see no left handed warblade in the kit....What's everyone doing for their Vexilla armament? This has been driving me insane since I realized my mistake!

This is what happens when you assemble models before you receive the rulebook.

Am I missing something or just an oblivious idiot, while assembling my Vexilla I accidentally put a shield in his off (left) hand. Looking at the rules, he can't have a shield, only a MC power sword or sentinel warblade.

However, I see no left handed warblade in the kit....What's everyone doing for their Vexilla armament? This has been driving me insane since I realized my mistake!

Tartaros  or Cataphract Left handed Power fist.  There's your Solerite Power Gauntlet!

Though that said, I'm still trying to decide if a banner is worth it for the Guardians.  Losing the shield actually means a pretty serious drop in your durability.  Re-rolled leadership is nice for sure, we've all see how bad luck can take its toll.  But these are high init guys too, so harder to lose.  Causing Fear and +1 wound in resolution is a thing for sure, but...  so is re-rolling an invulnerable save versus a Power Fist that could end you, two wounds or not.

Thoughts?   (Seriously considering this deeply.  Got two guys ready to get arms, but... haven't decided what I want in my two 5 man Guardian squads)

Tartaros  or Cataphract Left handed Power fist.  There's your Solerite Power Gauntlet!

Though that said, I'm still trying to decide if a banner is worth it for the Guardians.  Losing the shield actually means a pretty serious drop in your durability.  Re-rolled leadership is nice for sure, we've all see how bad luck can take its toll.  But these are high init guys too, so harder to lose.  Causing Fear and +1 wound in resolution is a thing for sure, but...  so is re-rolling an invulnerable save versus a Power Fist that could end you, two wounds or not.

Thoughts?   (Seriously considering this deeply.  Got two guys ready to get arms, but... haven't decided what I want in my two 5 man Guardian squads)

I really don't think Sentinel Guard are the best place for Vexillas. I think they work much better in in Custodian Guard squads paired with a power axe - gives that squad a guaranteed source of AP2 if you don't manage to make the charge. Also having Sentinel Guard models without shields means a crafty opponent can direct some/all of their attacks against the non-shield models and you loose out on that -1 to hit. If you want to upgrade your Sentinel Guard, give some of them Solarite Gauntlets.

I really don't think Sentinel Guard are the best place for Vexillas. I think they work much better in in Custodian Guard squads paired with a power axe - gives that squad a guaranteed source of AP2 if you don't manage to make the charge. Also having Sentinel Guard models without shields means a crafty opponent can direct some/all of their attacks against the non-shield models and you loose out on that -1 to hit. If you want to upgrade your Sentinel Guard, give some of them Solarite Gauntlets.

Ack, totally keep confusing Sentinel and Guard squads for some reason.   I DID mean the Sword and Board using ones, not the spear ones. 

So yeah, unit of 5.  4 with Sword and Board, 1 with Solarite and either a Shield or a Vexilla.  (I don't actually have any left handed power axe bits to put with the spears anyways, but since the Spear unit is the bodyguard for my Shield Captain and his Paragon Spear, it's irrelevant anyways - he's their guaranteed AP2)

So anyways, you suggest no Vexilla and go Fist and shield, yes?

Edited by Dulahan

Yeah, I keep forgetting that Custodes aren't Marine toughness in my head.  So used to Power Fists just wrecking even Praetors.

That said, lots of dreadnoughts in the local environment, so being able to survive a hit from one of those and still have time to do something is equally important!  Especially the one using the weapon who can actually kill them!

So anyways, you suggest no Vexilla and go Fist and shield, yes?

For the sword & board Sentinel Guard yes. Though if you're running units of 5-6, having 2-3 fists would be ideal. I'd only take just one fist if I was running them as units of 3.

Other than rule of cool, I just can't see the benefits of a Vexilla for the sword & board guys, far better to just have another shield.

With the spear guys, taking a Vexilla is the only way you can get guaranteed AP2 into the unit. And if you don't break your opponent on the turn you charge (or you get charged), that AP2 and the +1 combat res could prove to be invaluable. The Vexilla and Master-crafted Power Axe is a free upgrade and it will be a cool looking model, so what's not to love.

I think people are fixating on taking Vexillas with the sword & board guys, because the original kit only has the bits for you to build it with a shield (or Misericordia). Even though it fits visually, Vexilla & Shield isn't a valid combination for 30k Custodes. So if you want to include a Vexilla, you would have to do some conversion work anyway - even the substandard Vexilla and Sentinel Warblade loadout needs some sort of conversion work, because both pieces of equipment are modeled as right-handed.

Excellent, thanks!

Thinking I'll use the BIG power axe from the Mk III Weapons Upgrade Sprue on Forgeworld.   Should fit in well with the unit.

Meanwhile, any opinions on Power Fists?  Is the Cataphractii or Tartaros one a better looking option with the Custodes?

I'm using Power Fists from the Sanguinary Guard for mine as well, but sorry, no pictures yet. As well as shaving the blood drop and scroll off, I also glued on an aquilla from the small aquilla etched brass kit. Makes it more custody and less blood-angeley. I also cut more of the arm off - pretty much all of that leather bracer thing. Fairly good fit, blingy enough to fit with the Custodes aethetics and fairly easy to obtain from the bits sites.

Definitely easier to get hold of than the Sevrin Loth Honour Guard axes, but looks like I've managed to source a couple of those now as well.

So my custodes models have started to arrive from FW now, I am waiting on 6 jet bikes and another Caladius which should arrive next week. In total I will have 6 jet bikes, 3 Caladius, 1 Coronus, 1 Galatus, and 1 Achillus, plus a few boxes of plastic custodes, I'm going to pick up Ixion Hale too at some point. I need help to build a list for 2500 and 3k based around what I have. I've not yet started building the custodes as I've only recently got hold of book 7. Any advice on building infantry squads to flesh out my lists would be very much appreciated as I have very little 30k experience. Thank you.