Malchy's WIP thread : Kohuru head hunter squad (up 12/10)

malcharion

That Corax....

astonishing! Like a loyal mirror image of Curze!

Would love to see both of them fight each other as they are so similar in some points.

Great job, Malchy! :tu:

I don;t have words for this thread, every single conversion and paintjob brimming with character, orginality and brilliant execution, well done!!

Thanks you Kronos ! really glade you like my work :smile.:

That white-blue is magical.

To answer your question: I hate the model. The pose to me comes across as horrible and utterly unrealistic - what the hell is he doing? His lower back is arched, his shoulders hunched, and his left arm back when his right foot is up. I've tried to come up with a reason for that pose a couple times (having done several martial arts, I'm a stickler for pose and balance in a miniature. I always try to mimic them physically myself, and figure out what's going on). And I just cannot fathom any kind of scenario or combat move where that pose is even for a millisecond possible or advantageous - I can't figure it out. I know what the sculptor intended, but imo he failed horribly. Also, his arms are 25% too short. So yeah...  But your lovely paint job makes all those shortcomings almost fade away! :smile.:

Thanks for the white blue I loved working on it :smile.: . As for Corax I understand and I have to say that even if I agree a little with Mechanist down-there I think that you've made some points and I'm really pleased if my painting make you love this birdy emo a little more ^^.

He just looks like he's taking a pot shot with his left gauntlet gun while taking off or landing. I suspect you'll struggle to match or test out such poses until you get your self a Jet pack. :wink:

He's looking brilliant, lovely work so far. 

Thanks man :wink:

Corax is looking sharp.

However that Tyberos is awesome. Get some paint and gore on him stat!

Haha ! thank you ! I will do as fast as I can but I promise you that Tyberos is definitely the next on my painting list :wink:

I don't know how you do it, but that bluish white is pure awesomeness...

Thank you ! I could try to make another tutorial for that but in fact that is really simple. You put some turquoise in the hollows then it's a simple color gradient. I use saliva to pull of the tuquoise from the hollows to the white. The tricky part is to have the good paint dilution to start with.

Hey Malchy, love the stuff. Did you ever do a tutorial on how you do the maori-like tattoos? I want to do some on *my* Carcharodons.

Hey Lizard bro ! Glade you ask ^^ Beacause yes it took some times but I've done a video tutorial on how I make exile marks on my Carcharodons Astra.

Please excuse the quality of the video and my big fingers all around the screen sometimes. I have a lot of work to improve myself as a video maker  ^^

Here is the link to my French blog where you could see the video :smile.:

Maori Sharks Tattoo Tutorial :

http://armeedeschauves.blogspot.fr/2017/04/40k-tutoriel-video-tattoo-carcharodons.html#more

That Corax....

astonishing! Like a loyal mirror image of Curze!

Would love to see both of them fight each other as they are so similar in some points.

Great job, Malchy! :thumbsup:

Thanks a lot mate !

Forgelord, Groot and Corax are all stunning! Outstanding work, every time I drop in here my jaw hits the floor.

Liking the work on the Red wake as well.

Haha ! Thanks Bio' !

Here is some other picturs of the work going well on Corax :smile.:

236701canvas.png

190424canvas2.png

801712DSC03353.jpg

858729DSC03348.jpg

Still working :wink:

Hopping next time it will be finish ^^

Malchy

Thank everyone !

@ Lizard : Nice work you have there ! Always cool to see some others Carcharodon brother out here ^^

@ Bjorn : Thanks man ! :smile.:

@ LordVelype : Thank you ! Haha yes indeed the Crow was an inspiration and I'm glade you say "creepy" because I wanted my Corax to be the Konrad Curze noble reflect as he is shown in some HH books :wink:.  Noble but fearsome in battle.

Speeking of Corax .. Here it comes ! Finally done with the Lord of Crows :

814723DSC03403.jpg

820921DSC03432.jpg

160115DSC03404.jpg

346669DSC03427.jpg

830705DSC03407.jpg

And another view on a white background :

245583DSC03381.jpg

And here we are ! I've work a lot on the colors gradiants here. I don't use aerograph so there was a real chalenge here especialy on the wings, and I've also try to improve my weathering by using the same method as on "Groot" but with more precision and restrain ^^.

Hope you will like him ! 

More pictures on our French Blog here : http://armeedeschauves.blogspot.fr/2017/05/30k-raven-guard-crow-rax.html

C&C always welcome :wink:

Malchy

Corax looks killer!

He is a feast for the eyes I tell ya. I love the way his face looks. Then I am fancying the way your painted the wings. And the purplish pink just makes me smile.

That white-blue is magical.

To answer your question: I hate the model. The pose to me comes across as horrible and utterly unrealistic - what the hell is he doing? His lower back is arched, his shoulders hunched... And I just cannot fathom any kind of scenario or combat move where that pose is even for a millisecond possible or advantageous - I can't figure it out. I know what the sculptor intended, but imo he failed horribly.

It always seemed pretty clear to me that he was coming in for a landing with how his hair flying up and the shattered rock around his foot is modeled, while gunning down a traitor marine. My biggest issue with Corax, as it has been with every primarch except Horus, is the face.

And Malchy, as Augs mentioned, you do the model a great amount of justice. Beautiful stuff all over this project.

Technically extremely well painted, but there's some decisions I don't understand.

His hand areas are kind of overshadowed in red. The right hand has the OSL from the claw going on, while the left has the claw, and then the gun with its own glow (the hand missing it kind of bugs me for consistency since the claws are painted the same sheathed, but this would just increase the amount of red).

Then his left thigh and leg look like they were painted brown in some pictures and I'm not quite sure what was going on there.

Wings are fantastic though

Look, like Augustus, I seriously hate the stock Corax model: He looks like a clumsy kitbash using the Night Haunter model to me.

But with your paintjob, you've come so close to selling me on the guy -- seriously stunning paintwork! My hat's off to you, sir!

Now can we get some more Space Sharks? Pretty please...? ;)

Fantastic job on Corax. It made me almost like the model - which is saying a lot! Seriously, the paint job is stunning. I love the cold blue mixed with the warmer elements. Well done!

SPACE SHARKS! SHARK IN THE SPACE!

space sharks AWAAAaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyy!

You can never jump the shark with space sharks. Particularly when it comes to Malchy's Carcharodons. 

You can never jump the shark with space sharks. Particularly when it comes to Malchy's Carcharodons.
You don't jump a Space Shark. The Space Shark jumps you, right before he tears out your spine for the sin of turning away from the Emperor.

• 2 weeks later...

Heyyyy Guys and Gals ! I've been away from those page for a wile now.. Don't really have the time to paint lately and I was kind of exhausted by the work I did on corax I really need a break with painting after I finished him. But I'm back on tracks :wink:

Excellent work on the Primarch.

Corax looks killer!

He is a feast for the eyes I tell ya. I love the way his face looks. Then I am fancying the way your painted the wings. And the purplish pink just makes me smile.

And Malchy, as Augs mentioned, you do the model a great amount of justice. Beautiful stuff all over this project.

One heck of a job you've done there on Corax.

Corax looks fantastic. I really like the white greaves.

Corax looks ace mate, really nice work. Liking the lighter colored skin tonnes too

Excellent Corax. Skin and wings especially.

I've been away from this thread for too long

Thanks you all for the kind words it means a lot :smile.:

Technically extremely well painted, but there's some decisions I don't understand.

His hand areas are kind of overshadowed in red. The right hand has the OSL from the claw going on, while the left has the claw, and then the gun with its own glow (the hand missing it kind of bugs me for consistency since the claws are painted the same sheathed, but this would just increase the amount of red).

Then his left thigh and leg look like they were painted brown in some pictures and I'm not quite sure what was going on there.

Wings are fantastic though

Excellent job, my only nitpick would be that the vents of the jump pack seem to be too red, and draw too much attention, but everything else is perfect!

Thank you guys !

@Skimask : I totally agree with what you said. I was painting the first claw witch is activated and I was pretty happy with the effect and the thine red OSL but when I start the second I first did them black like they where not activated but the gun OSL created confusion with them .. I could not take another color for the gun because it would have break the harmony and drawn to much attention. also I wanted to have a balance between the amount of red on the two side of the model so I hadn't push the light effect like I should have for a realistic and logic finished. 

For the brown I only use it for the little pocket on is left side and nowhere else so I think that for the leg my skills at taking pictures are to blame ^^.

@The Traitor : The jump pack vents is the sol things I'm not happy with on that model ^^. It was the last thing I was painting and I've restart them four times in a row .. each time not doing any better .. Finally I quit and leave them with the last try. I will follow the axiom of Corax for those vents.. "Attack, retreat and attack again"

I'm not really good at attrition painting so I'll improve my skills elsewhere and come back to end things with those stupid vents latter ^^

Look, like Augustus, I seriously hate the stock Corax model: He looks like a clumsy kitbash using the Night Haunter model to me.

But with your paintjob, you've come so close to selling me on the guy -- seriously stunning paintwork! My hat's off to you, sir!

Now can we get some more Space Sharks? Pretty please...?

Thanks Kraut ! :wink:

Glade I "almost" sell it to two Corax haters haha ! Can't imagine a greater compliment :smile.:

For the sharks you'll be served !

Fantastic job on Corax. It made me almost like the model - which is saying a lot! Seriously, the paint job is stunning. I love the cold blue mixed with the warmer elements. Well done!

Thank you Augustus ! Just like Kraut I'm really happy if I've manage to make you see this horrible model another way :smile.:

You don't jump a Space Shark. The Space Shark jumps you, right before he tears out your spine for the sin of turning away from the Emperor.

Well thanks to you all ! Haha, you've kill me with those jumping sharks haha !

But since you guys want big fishes here is (JAW)Some !!!!

The red wake is coming ..

677484DSC03468.jpg

380695DSC03471.jpg

170428DSC03475.jpg

614578DSC03477.jpg

779734DSC03460.jpg

789315DSC03462.jpg

114956DSC03464.jpg

285376DSC03465.jpg

And the Expendables so far :

328966DSC03497.jpg

541637DSC03488.jpg

602134DSC03492.jpg

896665DSC03495.jpg

293417DSC03493.jpg

Just need a Primus Medicae to finished the team !

Hope you guys will like him and that the wait was worth it :smile.:

I'm currently working on some reinforcement for my 8th company sharks so be prepared for a sharknado of blood spattered tribal fishes :wink: !

Let me know what you think !

Malchy

Archived