A good looking start to a revitalised project :)

If I were you, I'd give a quick intro to explain what this DIY is about - the DIY's dustjacket if you will.

Some additional info like Allegiance and Appearance would be nice (ie, do they actually follow Tzeentch? Do they wear the general Thousand Sons blue and gold, the ancient Prosperine Red and Ivory, or something else?) - these should be presented in the form of bulletpoints, alongside their master's name if you want (and other info you find important for a quick overview)

Since you mentioned that you have or are developping a Chapter and a Sector, then give a link to the relevant Bolter and Chainsword threads where you present them - I don't think it's necessary to go into too much depth here, as this thread is concerned with your warband, but a link to the article will help a newcomer to navigate your different creations :)

Where does the "Tusmah" part of their name come from? Where do the non-Thousand Sons members of the warband come from, how did they join, what state are they in (ie, are they mutated, Rubricae, etc. ?)

If they are indeed followers of Tzeentch (as I suspect they are considering their Legion and the ally you present), then here's a question to help get some ideas in motion (this isn't a trap or a concern as such, more a though experiment):

"If Tzeentch is the god of Change, and your Warband is essentially harkening back to the 'good old days', then how do they reconcile the two seemingly opposing motivations?"

If I were you, I'd give a quick intro to explain what this DIY is about - the DIY's dustjacket if you will.

Some additional info like Allegiance and Appearance would be nice (ie, do they actually follow Tzeentch? Do they wear the general Thousand Sons blue and gold, the ancient Prosperine Red and Ivory, or something else?) - these should be presented in the form of bulletpoints, alongside their master's name if you want (and other info you find important for a quick overview)

Since you mentioned that you have or are developping a Chapter and a Sector, then give a link to the relevant Bolter and Chainsword threads where you present them - I don't think it's necessary to go into too much depth here, as this thread is concerned with your warband, but a link to the article will help a newcomer to navigate your different creations :)

Where does the "Tusmah" part of their name come from? Where do the non-Thousand Sons members of the warband come from, how did they join, what state are they in (ie, are they mutated, Rubricae, etc. ?)

If they are indeed followers of Tzeentch (as I suspect they are considering their Legion and the ally you present), then here's a question to help get some ideas in motion (this isn't a trap or a concern as such, more a though experiment):

"If Tzeentch is the god of Change, and your Warband is essentially harkening back to the 'good old days', then how do they reconcile the two seemingly opposing motivations?"

Thank you Thorn! I havent processed your entire reply yet but i will and tweak my DIY in consequence!

• 9 months later...

Lord Thorn, i just want to thank you for your time spent on this. At the time of your comment i was 95% done with 40k as a game and had little to no interest pursuing this and my other Index works.

But as feelings wane and change so too have my feelings with 40k and i seem to be back for the forseable future and so i wish to repay your investment with some of my own in the form of the following response:

Details to be added for sure!

I might do this in the future but i wasnt intending on linking the two armies or the articles to be honest.

Where does the "Tusmah" part of their name come from?

IRL: i was looking for an egyptian link to this army without going the god route and came up with the phonetic translation of the number 9 in arab:Tusmah.

IC: i really dont know why they would have taken this name over any other...numerology was a theme i was playing with a while back but i believe to have since then scrapped it. Which is a shame because i really was strong in wanting it as a part of the thrallband but couldnt quite fit it in.

Where do the non-Thousand Sons members of the warband come from, how did they join, what state are they in (ie, are they mutated, Rubricae, etc. ?)

I might have to review this as i believe the initial idea was just to have thousand sons but the aspiring sorcerors could use some fleshing out as non thousand sons members...

I frankly dont know. Although this does poke a giant hole in the thrallband's motivations...it is a good thought experiment.

I always saw Tzeentch as a God promoting change, not necessarily progress. So to change a planet a sector or even a being would be something he would bless and promote. As to what happens after it has been changed...more change obviously! Into what or how is beyond me at this point.

What say you?

I don't see it as an issue, changing back is still change from the current right? :wink: That and Tzeentch may have some labyrinthine plan for those who try, or maybe just the trying itself (perhaps made never to succeed...) is what he likes? Plus I think that there's a lot to work with on (original) traitor forces and their thoughts on the old days and approaches, and I don't think that any of the Chaos gods are that one dimensional - even Khorne :P

I like what you have, the Rubric is such a big part of the Sons I don't think you can avoid it being a major part of any DIY such that it'd probably be weird if you didn't :thumbsup:

so i decided to look into the article itself that I keep on my google drive and found this:

+Magister+

Okpara Nebnefer

Magister Nebnefer’s legionnary past has been lost to the warp and become irrelevant after ten thousand years of inactivity at his father’s side. What he is is a master of a burgeoning Thrallband and an expert of Daemon Mancipium. He has become so good at this that he has even successfully entrapped mutated Thralls, once brothers of his, into transport vehicles and tanks to do his bidding on the field of battle.

He is the visionary that has led these inactive souls free of uncaring fathers, selfish brothers and life taking bureaucracy.

+Thralls+

Psamtic Tosertosis[Na’ardisha’an’ah, Maulerfiend Pattern Daemon Engine]

Thrall Tosertosis was a student of Okpara Nebnefer’s back on Prospero and has been as close as his shadow ever since. The psyker has learned all the magister knows concerning Daemon Mancipium which he pair to his own considerable precognitive powers. This fact and the relationship he holds with Nebnefer allows many to associate both men to the old Corvidae Cult, although neither associates with it or attaches any importance to that designation.

Na’ardisha’an’ah(shortened to Na) is a daemon of slaanesh trapped within the confines of a maulerfiend pattern daemon engine. She was known to many as the Final Satisfaction, the Eternal Sigh and the Many Tongued Desire, amongst many other names of hatred and worship. Tosertosis summoned her on Sortiarius under the tutelage of his master. Nebnefer had suggested a daemon of slaanesh as, he explained, they were as easy to manipulate as daemons of Khorne but posed less of a risk to their bodies and material possessions. The Eternal Sigh now whispers inumerable pleasures to her targets but saves the most violent and obscene for Thrall Tosertosis’ own ears, promises of what she will do to him in this world and the next should she ever escape his grasp.

Ishaq Zahur[Anos’hiru’ivanalak, Maulerfiend Pattern Daemon Engine]

Ishaq Zahur is a proud member of the Pavoni Cult. His affection for the old cult is so great that he takes a personal offense to any who do not mention him as “of the Pavoni” when introducing him. His mastery of the biological is seen on the battlefield as he assists Thrall Tosertosis with the enhancement of the daemon engines employed by the Thrallband. Off the field of battle, Thrall Zahur is the man of many faces, using his powers to modify his skeletal structure and appearance to take on any personality or appearance he so chooses. He does this with such ease that no Thousand Son could identify his original facial features even if he ever let them see it.

Anos’hiru’ivanalak(shortened to Anos) is a daemon of Khorne residing in a maulerfiend pattern daemon engine. Unlike his Slaaneshi counterpart, Anos is quite pleased to be spilling blood for the blood god in this new form and only seeks his grand reward from his god whenever he is freed to go before him and the skull throne.

+Aspirants+

Nassot Sutekh[4 Scarab Occult Terminators]

Nassot Sutekh is first among Thrallband Tusmah’s aspirants and the only Thousand Son among them. When Nebnefer, Tosertosis and Zahur were making their dash for a brighter future, Sutekh volunteered himself and the rubrics in his command. Not a grand psyker or schemer, he remains first among aspirants as the one to show newly acquired sorcerers how to command the rubrics. He keeps the Scarab Occult to himself as they are both precious and valuable. Precious as he knew them well before the rubric, valuable as only he knows their names and thus only he can use these weapons against his foes.

Najja Harimotep[9 Rubricae]

Mensah Rasebek[9 Rubricae]

+Allies+

Vispa'th’a'urvo'ashta’i, Herald of Tzeentch and her Legion of Horrors

Vispa'th’a'urvo'ashta’i(shortened to Vispa) is a daemon of Tzeentch very close to Magister Nebnefer. Having been his tutelary on Prosopero, Vispa has been present at every major event of Nebnefer’s career. Although no longer as close an ally as when she was his tutelary, she still remains close to him as an aid and an advisor. Vispa speaks on behalf of the changer of ways in the hopes of keeping the Thrallband in his good graces and positioning herself for ideal moves in the great game that he watches and plays. Although not currently a concern, Vispa’s true name is known to the Magister only, making her currently his underling but having been an asset in the past, he allows her to operate freely out of a daemon engine. A fate he often reminds her of should she fail him.

Question for you guys:

First and foremost: Thoughts?

Secondly, I'm thinking of renaming my two other aspirants and making them non-TS. Would any of you have Space Marine Chapters to suggest to take these "renegades" from? That would help with the naming as I would theme their names based on the Chapter they used to belong to.

-DR

Edited by Dolchiate Remembrancer

They just need pictures now ;) I think a chapter with a strong psychic approach could be good, but the opposite is also true - maybe someone who didn't feel appreciated for his talents...

Any suggestions come to mind? I wasnt going to go with blood ravens or soul drinkers...but those are the only ones that come to mind and fit lol

It depends what you're trying to go for I suppose? A safer bet would be a chapter that has had notable traitor elements or an already renegade chapter, but anything outside of the original legions should be fine. Loyalist ones that is; might be fun to steal a Black Legion sorcerer or something! A suitable justification could cover anything really, so you can go to town if you want :tongue.: Alternatively you can pick the chapter and come up with justifications later, not everything has to be done at once after all :smile.:

Well ive done some research and come up with three warbands from which we could have recruited our non thousand sons aspiring sorcerors:

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Oracles_of_Change

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Scourged,_The

http://warhammer40k.wikia.com/wiki/Six-Cursed

Each has a little tzeenthian flavor but each with enough independance from the TS that you could see a sorceror leave the warband in favor of greater glory.

More to come!

-DR

Developping aspirants:

Najja Harimotep[9 Rubricae](Name to be confirmed/revised)

Ex-Lectors of Ixis, Ex-Oracles of Change, Odds Manipulator, Celt/Gaelic Theme

Mensah Rasebek[9 Rubricae](Name to be confirmed/revised)

Ex-Seekers of Truth, Ex-The Scourged, Lie Detector, Greek Theme

-DR

and how is this:

Dolos Rasebek[9 Rubricae]

“The Seekers of Truth, lapdogs of the Corpse-God’s Inquisition. The Scourged, playthings of Tzeentch. I will be neither.” - Dolos Rasebek

The Adeptus Astarte once known as Lexicanium Dolosis was “blessed” as a lie detector in a Chapter of lie detectors, The Seekers of Truth. Much like the rest of his brothers, he realised who bestowed this gift upon him and served a much different and living God as a member of The Scourged. But unlike his brothers, he realised the price of such a gift quite early on and has sought to regain his sanity ever since.

It was this desire that brought him in contact with Magister Nebnefer’s Thrallband. The renamed Dolos Rasebek joined the ranks of these esteemed sorcerers shortly after meeting with the Magister, offering his unique abilities to the cause, in exchange for knowledge in how to avoid Tzeentch’s grasp and the wasteful end of becoming a raving lunatic.

Nario Harimotep[9 Rubricae]

“Myself? A pawn? Why certainly! I take comfort in that when Death comes for me, it will be on my terms, in service of the winning side.” -Nario Harimotep

Epistolary Narius was a very talented psyker of the Lectors of Ixis, one potentially destined to being a Chief Librarian, had his Chapter not been found lacking, judged severely, and sent into the Eye of Terror to die. Fortunately for the Lectors, Tzeentch is always keeping an eye out for talent and although no one knows how, when or why the Lectors of Ixis turned against the Imperium, they know without a shadow of a doubt who the Oracles of Change once were and who they serve now.

Nario The Change-Godsend, as he became known amongst the Oracles, became a lethal threat in the eyes of his enemies now that he no longer had any rules to bind his power. However he also became a threat in the eyes of his allies, and after a nearly successful attempt upon his life by ambitious psykers of the warband, Nario left to seek after the God of Change’s will in the Eye. He found Sortiarius.

Although seen as one of the more talented psykers, Nario Harimotep, as he is now known, does not seek power or control, but simply to grow, learn and be a doer of his Master’s will. His particular talents in odds manipulation have been a favourite tool of the Thrallband’s during confrontations and in aiding it to avoid them altogether.

So i've been contemplating renaming the Thrallband.

As Numerology isn't a part of their fluff as I had originally thought, Tusmah just doesn't quite fit. I would like something that still reflects an Egyptian or even Arabic theme, but not really sure what direction to take it in. Any suggestions?

-DR

• 1 year later...

Well I am back on this IT and more than willing to change the name. I've come up with the following:

Within the Sectai Prosperine(and amongst the Legion): Razing Heirs Cabal.

To the common man of the imperium: Cult of Liberating Light.

Thoughts?

Also, I am going to be reworking this article into an Inquisitor's Dossier. I would rather keep information about my Thrallband vague from the imperium point of view but have many aspects be hinted at. I will have more for you guys as I write it out. But I would love to have any tips.

I like the cult name, but perhaps the sect one needs a small tweak as it makes me think "raising hairs"! :P The Inquisition files or reports approach is a good one for covering things, but could be a bit restrictive by itself. I'd suggest having your cake and eating it - write up bits normally but when you want to add some mystery or keep things vague add an Inquisitor's report or musings. Helps keep the article fresh for writing and reading too :)

The Cult of Liberating Light is a fantastic name to run with, but I echo WarriorFish in the first name making me think of barberism with "Razing Heirs".

The Inquisitor dossiers are always a fun one to write and for us to read too, it allows a few leeways here and there with whatever intelligence the Imperium has managed to glean about this warband.

Cambrius

• 2 weeks later...

Other names: Crowned Stave Cabal(among the Legion), Camarilla Vindicta(among governors and gentry of imperial worlds)

aside for that, progress continues. I rather like this format as I find it will help define this Cabal in ways an official IT article might not. It is also better to write. intro found here:

++ACCESSING SECURE FILES++

++AUTHORIZATION LEVEL GAMMA RED SIX REQUESTED++

++LOGIN DENIED++

++LOGIN DENIED++

++CORRUPTION DETEC---++

++LOGIN ACCEPTED++

++WELCOME LORD INQUISITOR HELSTROM VON BRIEGER++

++QUERY ACCEPTED++

++DECRYPTING++

++DECRYPTING++

++DECRYPTING++

++LOG 01762295573 LOADING++

++LOAD COMPLETE++

Personal Logs of Helstrom Von Brieger. 

Date: 9.006.010.M42

I have been tasked by my superiors with the discovery, research and elimination of a heretical group. They have surfaced in Segmentum Obscurus. My agents have tracked them from system to subsystem. The chaos they have sowed has led many an Imperial world to cleansing and has left a necessary death toll in its wake. They are known by many names. The general populace call them the Cult of Liberating Light. The gentry and governing bodies refer to them as the Camarilla Vindicta. Let this be the first imperial record mentioning them by their true name, the Crowned Stave Cabal.

A group of Sorcerers from the Eye, who have been set upon real space like a pack of rabid dogs. Their brand of discord: uprooting established Imperial governance. Although never replacing the governance with anything else but anarchy. Scum.

I have attached to this log my notes and collected files on the matter.

“The Reward For Treachery Is Retribution.”