Upcoming Primarch Novellas - Your Expectations

b1soul

I actually meant the one where Magnus left before Perturabo, who then almost got obliterated in the explosion.

Sounded like something worth a short story atleast

Probably - but I think we should better focus on a Great Slaughter at Beta-Garmont for now.

When's the Magnus one out on iBooks?

'Around the time Perturabo's limited edition hits' - yeap. In April 2017.

So, nearly finished Leman Russ (one chapter's missing) and I have to admit:

CHRIS! You nailed it! IMHO a great book. He did justice to both, the Lion and Leman. Johnson's intentions are hideous, though Leman's accusations give us a good glimpse of the Lion's intention.

Loved every single page. The side characters are great, too. Alajos trying to temper the Lion. Jorin trying to save his brothers. :tu:

But Leman? He is just EXACTLY how I'd ever imagined him: caring, still savage, a great fighter, human while his brothers is a cold-hearted, arrogant bastard. :D

AND it's a great addition to the Battle of the Fang.

Why is that?

Battle of the Fang is a good transition from 40K Wolves towards the more Viking-ish 30K Wolves. Leman Russ does the exact opposite. By granting Leman a vision of the Emperor, the change towards the defending, good guys 40K Wolves begins. Well played, Chris! :tu:

And the little detail about the only cool DA character wielding an axe instead of a sword....dude, you're loving the Wolves and their axes! :D

I can only recommend this book. It may contain some tiny spoilers in terms of other books like Gunns fate but nothing big as these are just mentioned in subordinate clauses.

Overall: :tu: :tu: :tu:

Fenrys Hjolda!

CHRIS! You nailed it! IMHO a great book. He did justice to both, the Lion and Leman. Johnson's intentions are hideous, though Leman's accusations give us a good glimpse of the Lion's intention.

Loved every single page. The side characters are great, too. Alajos trying to temper the Lion. Jorin trying to save his brothers. thumbsup.gif

But Leman? He is just EXACTLY how I'd ever imagined him: caring, still savage, a great fighter, human while his brothers is a cold-hearted, arrogant bastard. biggrin.png

AND it's a great addition to the Battle of the Fang.

Why is that?

Battle of the Fang is a good transition from 40K Wolves towards the more Viking-ish 30K Wolves. Leman Russ does the exact opposite. By granting Leman a vision of the Emperor, the change towards the defending, good guys 40K Wolves begins. Well played, Chris! thumbsup.gif

And the little detail about the only cool DA character wielding an axe instead of a sword....dude, you're loving the Wolves and their axes! biggrin.png

I can only recommend this book. It may contain some tiny spoilers in terms of other books like Gunns fate but nothing big as these are just mentioned in subordinate clauses.

Overall: thumbsup.gifthumbsup.gifthumbsup.gif

Fenrys Hjolda!

true - but you should see that 1 of the points that weren't fully shown is how all that 'apology' stuff went eventually. Just imagine that some rash ... kill you brother from the squad. And after that with some apology he threatens you directly. You think that's normal? I can't call that a normal - but to be honest, all the relations between Primarchs had a lot of strings attached.

'But Leman? He is just EXACTLY how I'd ever imagined him: caring, still savage, a great fighter, human while his brothers is a cold-hearted, arrogant bastard.' - exactly. Told you Leman Russ is a good book. thanks.gif

Fair point. I'd hope for Chris Wraight due to how great his description of 'Chaos Horus' was in Path of Heaven, a juxtaposition with that would be cool. John French could work too, if he is actually participating in the Primarch series. Warmaster was great.

I would love to see Horus's be just Horus and the Emperor. It would be very interesting to see how the Emperor handles the first recovered "son" and explains his vision to him.

Hidden Content

Like this scene, but "wet bed" is a warp portal and "newspaper" is exterminatus teehee.gif

https://youtu.be/mip0vlZcYI8

If Kyme gets the Khan I expect a sudden preponderance of Lightning this and Hawk that. Kind of odd reading Scars and realising the Salamanders' appearance is without any mention of flames or forges.

Fair point. I'd hope for Chris Wraight due to how great his description of 'Chaos Horus' was in Path of Heaven, a juxtaposition with that would be cool. John French could work too, if he is actually participating in the Primarch series. Warmaster was great.

Indeed. I especially liked that he managed to sketch out so simply what it was that was so likeable about the Warmaster back in Horus Rising . I really haven't read enough French yet to comment on him, though.

If Kyme gets the Khan I expect a sudden preponderance of Lightning this and Hawk that. Kind of odd reading Scars and realising the Salamanders' appearance is without any mention of flames or forges

Kyme for the Khan? Please no...please no

Loved every single page. The side characters are great, too. Alajos trying to temper the Lion. Jorin trying to save his brothers. thumbsup.gif

But Leman? He is just EXACTLY how I'd ever imagined him: caring, still savage, a great fighter, human while his brothers is a cold-hearted, arrogant bastard. biggrin.png

Can you expalain what you meant by "Johnson's hideous intentions" and what Russ accusations were? Because that's not what happened in this book. I admit that Russ was very likable and I feel sorry for him because of his Legion. Also would you care to elaborate on this "human and caring" side of Russ?

It would be cool to see Fulgrim and the III Legion while they are on the messy road to perfection. Most of the HH series shows them sort of after they've reached their peak and starting to get bored and/or cocky. It would be cool to see them in the "scraped knees" phase. An EC getting beaten in a duel by a Luna Wolf or something, and then while the Luna Wolf goes off drinking with the Space Wolves, the EC is sitting there in the training chamber day-in-day-out for years straight until they meat again and he is a master swordsman.

Picturing Lucius on his knees in the training cage, beads of sweat running down his forehead, his thoughts a litany hammering inside his skull, over and over: "I was not owned. I was NOT OWNED."

(that's a great idea though)

@rendingon1+

We (as a reader) get to know Russ' perspective on the Lion. He (Russ) says that the Lion is desiring to gain more favor, etc. We (readers) don't know if that is true as it is a pov of Russ. I spoke with Runefyre about it and I'll try to quote a paragraph of this discussion: (beware, IMHO)

Why is he like he is during the campaign? Some questions:

- Is he really like Leman predicted? Just looking for the Emperors favor? Trying to become the favored son instead of Horus, Sangi or Dorn?

- Does he see some similarity between himself and Leman? Would he have been like Russ if he had landed on Fenris? is he jealous of Russ because of Leman having gotten things straightened out with himself by accepting his role in the Great Crusade? They both were raised in the wilderness of their homeworlds but developed differently. Do they have more in common than meets the eye?

- Does he really see Lemans potential if Leman would get rid of the beast within him like Johnson did? Is Johnson sad because Leman is wasting his potential? Does he want to help Leman but fails to do so because of his lack of empathy and his giant ego?

That makes the Lion an interesting character as we cannot be sure of his intentions. All we got is this silky, arrogant guy...

Russ is (for me) human and caring, because

- he cares for his men. He even threatens his own brother with death should he open fire on them again.

- Nearly every reaction on Johnson is (at least for me) comprehensible. He's protecting his rout / family. If my son would be threatened by anyone, I'd do the same.

- Leman shows emotions. Rage, amusement, fury, disappointment, bitterness, nostalgia. I feel with him. At least way more than with the Lion.

It's my first book about Leman and I'm convinced that Chris did a really good job in portraying him. I'm curious how Prospero Burns and Wolf King might be.

We can discuss this via pm if you want. Just wanted to answer your questions.

But for now, back to topic. :D

Kind of odd that the series until now is not how I have imagined it to be with 2 books being meh and one being good. Here's still hope for Ferrus, the Khan and some other ones.

I wonder who will take Horus. Guess they'll release him pretty late to contrast against how he is as the final Heresy books roll out.

French doing it (info from HH weekender)

If Kyme gets the Khan I expect a sudden preponderance of Lightning this and Hawk that. Kind of odd reading Scars and realising the Salamanders' appearance is without any mention of flames or forges

Kyme for the Khan? Please no...please no

Gods forbade this!

That's awesome news French doing Horus! I really hope with get some exploration into the culture of Cthonia. If there's one thing French can pull off is giving legions a distinct personality and weight.

Really looking forward to Perturabo, Guy Haley for me is really hitting it! the limited edition looks beautiful wub.png

That's awesome news French doing Horus! I really hope with get some exploration into the culture of Cthonia. If there's one thing French can pull off is giving legions a distinct personality and weight.

Really looking forward to Perturabo, Guy Haley for me is really hitting it! the limited edition looks beautiful wub.png

Iron Warriors vs Hrud as an appetiser - what could be better?

And yeah - French style and stories were sublime so far.

@rendingon1+

We (as a reader) get to know Russ' perspective on the Lion. He (Russ) says that the Lion is desiring to gain more favor, etc. We (readers) don't know if that is true as it is a pov of Russ. I spoke with Runefyre about it and I'll try to quote a paragraph of this discussion: (beware, IMHO)

Why is he like he is during the campaign? Some questions:

- Is he really like Leman predicted? Just looking for the Emperors favor? Trying to become the favored son instead of Horus, Sangi or Dorn?

- Does he see some similarity between himself and Leman? Would he have been like Russ if he had landed on Fenris? is he jealous of Russ because of Leman having gotten things straightened out with himself by accepting his role in the Great Crusade? They both were raised in the wilderness of their homeworlds but developed differently. Do they have more in common than meets the eye?

- Does he really see Lemans potential if Leman would get rid of the beast within him like Johnson did? Is Johnson sad because Leman is wasting his potential? Does he want to help Leman but fails to do so because of his lack of empathy and his giant ego?

That makes the Lion an interesting character as we cannot be sure of his intentions. All we got is this silky, arrogant guy...

Russ is (for me) human and caring, because

- he cares for his men. He even threatens his own brother with death should he open fire on them again.

- Nearly every reaction on Johnson is (at least for me) comprehensible. He's protecting his rout / family. If my son would be threatened by anyone, I'd do the same.

- Leman shows emotions. Rage, amusement, fury, disappointment, bitterness, nostalgia. I feel with him. At least way more than with the Lion.

It's my first book about Leman and I'm convinced that Chris did a really good job in portraying him. I'm curious how Prospero Burns and Wolf King might be.

We can discuss this via pm if you want. Just wanted to answer your questions.

But for now, back to topic. biggrin.png

Kind of odd that the series until now is not how I have imagined it to be with 2 books being meh and one being good. Here's still hope for Ferrus, the Khan and some other ones.

Sure we can open another thread to continue this discussion.smile.png As for Lion 'accusations', there was similar discussion on DA forum:

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/329966-the-lions-depiction-in-the-leman-russ-novella/page-2

Archived