Horus Heresy releases we know about but what next?

DukeLeto69

I haven't heard anything about Wolf Cull. Is that an upcoming short story?

To my knowledge, no, just a phrase taken from Forge World's Horus Heresy timeline. I'm assuming it refers to the Wolves going on the hunt for Horus, and that's what I'm hoping is covered in a novel. But I could be completely wrong about what it refers to tongue.png

To my knowledge, no, just a phrase taken from Forge World's Horus Heresy timeline. I'm assuming it refers to the Wolves going on the hunt for Horus, and that's what I'm hoping is covered in a novel. But I could be completely wrong about what it refers to tongue.png

It is exactly that and would be title 43 or 46

Very cool if true. Do you also know the author?

They've not done two short story collections consecutively in the numbered series, and since I am already giving Garro a pass, I am very much hoping book 43 will be the Wolf Cull book.

Rob Sanders for Alpha. And someone else for the Wolf Cull

Preferrably AD-B or Wraight for Wolf Cull. French or Abnett would also do.

They better do some retconning though or the Wolves will literally have zero true victories in the heresy sad.png

Not French, Wraight, A D-B - they already had novels not a long time ago. They can't write that quickly ;) Abnett will not do anything lol, forget about him

They've not done two short story collections consecutively in the numbered series, and since I am already giving Garro a pass, I am very much hoping book 43 will be the Wolf Cull book.

They better do some retconning though or the Wolves will literally have zero true victories in the heresy sad.png

Not French, Wraight, A D-B - they already had novels not a long time ago. They can't write that quickly msn-wink.gif Abnett will not do anything lol, forget about him

Those are the authors I would prefer write about it lol

I see your point. I'd like to see Macniven take on a HH novel. He'd do a good job with Wolf Cull.

I honestly believe Wolf cull will be a novella like Wolf king. That way both Wolf king and Wolf cull could be put in some sort of anthology like they did with Corax.

That would be neat. Provided Wolf Cull gives us more awesomeness than not, unlike Wolf King. We've seen the Wolves flaws and transformation, it's about time to see them really shine.

Out of the two unannounced books (43 & 46) I'm hoping for -

• Fall of the death guard by Chris Wraight
  • Retaking of Mars by Rob sanders

We had two brand new Horus heresy shorts released not long ago (Myriad which was excellent and expanded on cybernetica beautifully and Black shield which was to do with black shields encountering death guard and again was very good) these were both written by the two very same authors.

Sometimes these shorts are little glimpses as to what's to come.

I am confused here. You say the Wolf Cull book would be 43 or 46, but at the same time it is not yet known who the author is of that novel?

If its 43 or 46 it has to be done, or in progress already.

I'm trying to think of who the author could be for the Wolf Cull book, but....

Wraight: Seems like a very likely choice but it seems impossible. He's already published PoH, Leman Russ, and has Vaults of Terra and Emperor's Legion coming out in 2017, already more than we expected.

ADB: Nope. McNeill. Nope. Haley and Thorpe have been quite forthcoming in interviews about what their next projects were and nothing like this was hinted at. Pharos and Angels of Caliban were the big ones for them. Which leaves a suprise novel from Abnett as an option, especially since he has succesfully done both Horus and the Space Wolves...

But you already said it's not Abnett, so....

We had two brand new Horus heresy shorts released not long ago (Myriad which was excellent and expanded on cybernetica beautifully and Black shield which was to do with black shields encountering death guard and again was very good) these were both written by the two very same authors.

Fall of the Death Guard was mentioned as one of the ones that still needs to be written, so that's not going to be 43 or 46, we can say that much.

Not French, Wraight, A D-B - they already had novels not a long time ago. They can't write that quickly msn-wink.gif Abnett will not do anything lol, forget about him

Those are the authors I would prefer write about it lol

I see your point. I'd like to see Macniven take on a HH novel. He'd do a good job with Wolf Cull.

I honestly believe Wolf cull will be a novella like Wolf king. That way both Wolf king and Wolf cull could be put in some sort of anthology like they did with Corax.

That would be neat. Provided Wolf Cull gives us more awesomeness than not, unlike Wolf King. We've seen the Wolves flaws and transformation, it's about time to see them really shine.

Space puppies shine? Nope ;)

I am confused here. You say the Wolf Cull book would be 43 or 46, but at the same time it is not yet known who the author is of that novel?

I'm trying to think of who the author could be for the Wolf Cull book, but....

Wraight: Seems like a very likely choice but it seems impossible. He's already published PoH, Leman Russ, and has Vaults of Terra and Emperor's Legion coming out in 2017, already more than we expected.

ADB: Nope. McNeill. Nope. Haley and Thorpe have been quite forthcoming in interviews about what their next projects were and nothing like this was hinted at. Pharos and Angels of Caliban were the big ones for them. Which leaves a suprise novel from Abnett as an option, especially since he has succesfully done both Horus and the Space Wolves...

But you already said it's not Abnett, so....

Abnett could have written it - if he was still writing something for bl and not comics for Marvel etc. etc. For 1 page of Warmaster he writes 5 comics - so the latest novel Abnett would be able to write would be Siege of Terra one

At this stage (unless I've missed some new bit of news) 43 and 46 are both unannounced, so any specifics on them are just guesses or wishlists.

Ultimately I hope we will get more information at the Horus heresy weekender,

It looks like we will be getting 50 books plus the siege of terra which isn't known yet

There has also been the talk of bl beginning stories and FW finishing them, beta garmon for example has been mentioned at werengeld and the upcoming shorts and audio drama, I don't think we will actually see the battle, but FW will cover it in the black book, from my emails between forge world they said they planned to have a couple more retribution style books before it is all said and done, for the wolf cull I hope for a novel and expect a novella

Death guard have to get a novel

Battle of Mars needs a novel

There have been interesting tid bits Laurie has been putting on the first expedition, specifically why there has been no mention of a mega space battle above terra, which he says there is a "key story detail there" which has me most curious

I think (and this is speculation on my part) Wolf Cull will be the Space Wolfs invading and destroying Cthonia.

Were did you get that info? I've never heard of Cthonia being destroyed by the Wolves. I thought it was destroyed during the scouring.

I think (and this is speculation on my part) Wolf Cull will be the Space Wolfs invading and destroying Cthonia.

Were did you get that info? I've never heard of Cthonia being destroyed by the Wolves. I thought it was destroyed during the scouring.

And didn't Russ say no to such a plan when it was proposed by Malcador in Vengeful Spirit?

Its because of that convesation with Malcador that I think its a possibility. This is just speculation on my part though but I think it would make a lot of sense. If it doesn't come to pass then maybe it will during the scouring (I do know that one of the rule books mentions Cthonia being destroyed in the scouring but things have been 'adjusted' in the past and I can't see anybody having an issue with it). The name of the novel also implies that wolves are being culled (killed) or are culling someone else..... or perhaps its both! wolves (Space Wolves) are killing wolves (Luna Wolves).

I know it's far off but...me too!!!! ^^ this!

And didn't Russ say no to such a plan when it was proposed by Malcador in Vengeful Spirit?

Its because of that convesation with Malcador that I think its a possibility. This is just speculation on my part though but I think it would make a lot of sense. If it doesn't come to pass then maybe it will during the scouring (I do know that one of the rule books mentions Cthonia being destroyed in the scouring but things have been 'adjusted' in the past and I can't see anybody having an issue with it). The name of the novel also implies that wolves are being culled (killed) or are culling someone else..... or perhaps its both! wolves (Space Wolves) are killing wolves (Luna Wolves).

The Space Wolves might destroy Cthonia after the Heresy (quite possible), but Wolf Cull is about the Space Wolves getting routed at Yarant, and Russ coming face to face with post-Molech Horus. Andy Hoare elaborated on the Wolf Cull on Facebook a while ago and Laurie Goulding has spoken about it in recent months on the First Expedition forum.

The Space Wolves might destroy Cthonia after the Heresy (quite possible), but Wolf Cull is about the Space Wolves getting routed at Yarant, and Russ coming face to face with post-Molech Horus. Andy Hoare elaborated on the Wolf Cull on Facebook a while ago and Laurie Goulding has spoken about it in recent months on the First Expedition forum.

Wonderful....I really, really hope the Wolves get an awesome showing even in the face of certain defeat. Better than what we got in Wolf King anyway.

And if Russ must Dual Steroid-mode-Horus I hope it isn't hopelessly one-sided.

I wonder if the Wolves will ever get a book were they have an actual victory. So far we've had 1 terrible pyrrhic victory, the terrible defeat at Yarant, and another defeat turned bail-out thanks to some random DA shmoes (even though Dorn managed to turn the table on AL all by himself).

*sigh* I really want to love the HH novels featuring SW's, but I'm having a really hard time. What am I missing?

@Marshal Loss: Any way you can shoot me a link or summary of what is being said about Wolf Cull?

I can't find the Facebook post by Andy Hoare (sorry, was a comment on another post in either Crusade & Heresy or HH P&M some months ago in the first half of this year) but here is the TFE discussion on Weregeld, which features some comments about the the 'Wolf Cull'

Key points from Laurie Golding

• FW didn't invent the idea of the 'Wolf Cull, Graham McNeill did, FW just gave it a 'harsh name'
  • Russ got hurt chasing after Horus, story will be told from Russ' POV. I thought it was pretty clear how Russ got hurt - he was going after Horus as per the pledge from 'Vengeful Spirit'.
  • (In response to a query about how Russ was so badly injured) Corax wasn't there, which is why we didn't see it happen. Makes perfect sense to me. I was, however, half-expecting Russ to say "You... You should have seen... the other guy..."

All I remember from the esteemed Lord Hoare is that the Wolf Cull was indeed about Yarant in response to a Space Wolf fan on FB, and that it is quite an old piece of lore (as is most of the base material FW draw upon).

At this stage (unless I've missed some new bit of news) 43 and 46 are both unannounced, so any specifics on them are just guesses or wishlists.

In general 'yes' - but here is why Wolf Cull will come in 2017:

I talked with editorial choir at BL Live 2016 and some authors - in general they hinted that 'Wolf Cull' event was taken from Forge World and Alan Bligh HH timeline calendar as an event that shown wolves crippled before Siege of Terra.

Laurie hinted (hinted so take it whatever you like) that it would follow events of Vengeful spirit (if you read it you will know that Russ planned to make an ambush strike vs Horus)

- so in major hints it would be 'Wolf Cull': SW attacks, but they are expected and repelled.

After which 3 strikeforces from TS, AL, WE and his personal First Company retinue under Abaddon are sent to finish russ and space puppies off.

Which leads to the point where Corax finds them at Yarant in 'Weregeld' (novella in Corax anthology) with this 3 forces TS, AL, WE and SoH First Company trying to finish Wolves once and for all.

Don't know who written or would be writing it as off now (but I do think it's already half in the work). But it's 80 % that it's 43 or  (more probably) 46 title, cause in 2018 siege of terra starts. And Wolf Cull is before that.

As explained above - nope.

I talked with editorial choir at BL Live 2016 and some authors - in general they hinted that 'Wolf Cull' event was taken from Forge World and Alan Bligh HH timeline calendar as an event that shown wolves crippled before Siege of Terra.

Laurie hinted (hinted so take it whatever you like) that it would follow events of Vengeful spirit (if you read it you will know that Russ planned to make an ambush strike vs Horus)

- so in major hints it would be 'Wolf Cull': SW attacks, but they are expected and repelled.

After which 3 strikeforces from TS, AL, WE and his personal First Company retinue under Abaddon are sent to finish russ and space puppies off.

Which leads to the point where Corax finds them at Yarant in 'Weregeld' (novella in Corax anthology) with this 3 forces TS, AL, WE and SoH First Company trying to finish Wolves once and for all.

Don't know who written or would be writing it as off now (but I do think it's already half in the work). But it's 80 % that it's 43 or  (more probably) 46 title, cause in 2018 siege of terra starts. And Wolf Cull is before that.

Most of which is perfectly true (though to my knowledge there's been no confirmation of the Siege starting in 2018. It might, or it might not), but none of that indicates Wolf Cull will be covered in 43 or 46. It will be done in some fashion, Laurie Goulding confirmed as much on First Expedition, but not exactly when that will be.

Most of which is perfectly true (though to my knowledge there's been no confirmation of the Siege starting in 2018. It might, or it might not), but none of that indicates Wolf Cull will be covered in 43 or 46. It will be done in some fashion, Laurie Goulding confirmed as much on First Expedition, but not exactly when that will be.

It will - but probably not the one you think of. 'Siege of Terra' in general starts from the first ships of Lupercal armada entering the void space of Solar System and all the slow grind to Terra. In 2018 they will start exactly that. An actual 'siege' of Terra (Earth) will not be seen until 2019 for sure, lol

Archived