uk_crow's blog - Iron Warriors - 30th Grand Company

Guest uk_crow

Guest uk_crow

Hello fellow hobbyists!

Over the years i've dipped in and out of the hobby meaning to make a start but for one reason or another it fails to materialise but this time I'm back for good! One of the reasons I never settled back in was because i failed to find an army that I really loved both the lore and look until I remembered the mighty IV legion. Having read through all the Horus Heresy books from forge world and the 40k fluff I knew these were the ones for me.

So this blog will encourage me to make and paint models, whilst also getting feedback from you all.

My plan is to collect both a 30K and 40k force that will link together through 10,000 years of The Long War and also so I can use some elements interchangeably like Sicaran's and a Typhon. The force has started off slowly and I have made up 30 Mk III marines and a siege breaker B@C as a start to get back into modelling and painting.

They're currently unconverted just so I can learn the basics but I plan on my 40k force to be a huge kitbash force to represent a battle hardened force that has raided and plundered its way through the galaxy for 10,000 years fighting the The Long War!

Iron Within, Iron Without!

My force so far:

gallery_85745_12642_196581.jpg

Production line of shoulder pads and bolters

gallery_85745_12642_1316209.jpg

Close up of my first go at using an airbrush to basecoat!

gallery_85745_12642_1394847.jpg

Really pleased with how they have turned out, as i paint more I hope to learn new techniques like zenithal highlighting.

Should have more pictures later on today.

Guest uk_crow

Thanks for the replies.

I also thought the industrial approach was quite fitting although painting the trim on 60 shoulders pads is pretty grim!

And that pointed they'd had a wash of null oil and agrax earthshade and a drybrush of leadbelcher. Picture probably doesn't show them in the best way. Will take close ups later on hopefully.

Guest uk_crow

Hey everyone, as promised here are some additional pictures, managed to get 5 fully assembled. I'm not 100% happy with them but have definitely learned a lot such as:

• Painting gold onto black sucks, painting it onto leadbelcher is much easier. Going forwards I will airbrush the shoulders pad leadbelcher and then infill with abaddon black.
  • Stirland Mud although awesome is too dark and going forwards I will use Armageddon dust with an Agrax Earthshade wash.
  • Bases need more to them, will buy some Middenland Tufts or battlefield rubble to put onto them.

So here are some pictures as promised:

gallery_85745_12642_808237.jpg

gallery_85745_12642_749427.jpg

gallery_85745_12642_924525.jpg

Wip of my centurion/praetor/siege breaker

gallery_85745_12642_1952035.jpg

Thanks for looking and any feedback is welcome!

Guest uk_crow

Thanks man, got my tactical marines finished to a point I'm happy with, they just need a matte varnish and then some grass tufts on the bases.

Continuing work on my praetor and then deciding my next purchase, I'm thinking of maybe some quad mortars, a contemptor or a sicaran.

I did however order the new traitor legions supplement, the classic warsmith model and some CSM Iron Warriors upgrade packs so i may get distracted by them instead!

Iron Within, Iron Without!

gallery_85745_12642_977024.jpg

gallery_85745_12642_874202.jpg

gallery_85745_12642_1687576.jpg

These are looking great uk_crow :). With regard to the gold and the Stirland Mud, I use Balthasar Gold to base those areas on my marines and it does have much better coverage being a base paint so maybe try painting that on first and following up with the gold you've used so far. The bases look very neat but I think you may need to add a drybrush to bring them up a bit. GW did a PDF recently which helped me with the bases on my Night Lords:

https://www.games-workshop.com/resources/PDF/Paint/Textured_Paints.pdf

Anyway, they look very good and your idea of using inverted (low tack masking?) tape to do the shoulders is genius and I really like the look of the metal armour :)

Nemac

Guest uk_crow

Thanks Neman!

I did a base layer of Balthasar Gold but I think I watered it down too much and used it too sparingly, in retrospect I think put it on slightly thicker. Good idea about the drybrush, I have some terminates dry paint so will buy a small drybrush and see how it goes.

Yeah the masking tape is just Tamiya modelling tape, makes airbrush on the base coats so much easier!

Watering down the paint is fine mate, you should be doing two thin coats to get the best coverage and then building up the rest of the colour from there. Sorry, I should probably have said that in my first post. Either way the models you have done look great to me :)

Nemac

Archived