The Return of Celestine

BitsHammer

I'm not sure if you mean me, but I think Celestine's sounding fantastic. I'm just saying that she sounds like she's going to do a great job of playing a fire magnet that throws a real spanner in the works once she gets to the enemy's back line and starts chewing through anything that doesn't have a 2+ save.

So there is this image you may have seen, describing what it's like for Celestine in between losing her last Wound and the the start of her next movement phase after passing her Act of Faith.

The part that kind of bothers me is this:

Hidden Content
each time she journeys from the world that is no world, she does so diminished, (snip) she is alone; the first and last of a grand design never realized

which heavily implies that what she really is, is

Hidden Content
The 40k Emperor's abandoned experiment with something very much like Sigmar's Stormcast Eternals.

Which is so less cool than the mysteries of faith and belief that she represented.

I'm not sure if you mean me, but I think Celestine's sounding fantastic. I'm just saying that she sounds like she's going to do a great job of playing a fire magnet that throws a real spanner in the works once she gets to the enemy's back line and starts chewing through anything that doesn't have a 2+ save.

that makes more sense, I consider a carnifex to be a fire magnet that isn't actually very effective. I always used celestine to jump from marine squad to marine squad with hit and run dicing up regular MEQs while avoiding hero chalennges

She does have EW. I think she'd actually be broken if she had an AP2 sword

I guess it's what you do with a T3 character with a low-ish strength AP3 armourbane weapon - run away from other big characters, avoid big monsters, avoid big units/deathstars/etc and use them to chip and blast away at small objective holders, heavy weapon units, support vehicles, etc.

It's what the old celestine did and the new one sounds like she'll do it better, but it's also a job fitting of a low point character rather than a higher point lord of war-type unit that looks like it should be challenging other heroes, not chipping away at their support units.

I'm liking the changes. Armourbane adds quite a bit of utility to her tool box imo. I always used her to chop up line troops not as a character assassin or deathstar killer. Having Armourbane makes her a lot more useful now as she can threaten tanks as well. There was many times when I felt I needed her to have more anti tank firepower then her single krak grenade.

Finally getting EW is a huge boon that most of us have been clamoring for so it's exciting that GW finally listened to us on that. Even if she can only return once per game it still means my opponent is chewing through more then double her old wounds value. That's a big buff.

The only thing I'm a bit bummed out by is that she doesn't sound like she is a independent character so I can't have her join squads. However, with her wounds increased, EW and the ability to regenerate her Gemini bodyguard she might have more ablative wounds then what a 10 women Seraphim squad would have provided.

I'm very optimistic about this so far and can't wait to see her full rulesbiggrin.png

I figure if I can't use her as my mandatory HQ I will use Veridyan as it.   Although if you are using C:IA you can use a Priest as your HQ now.  Then there is still Jackie boy who isn't too bad.

Finally, maybe the new relics might even make a vanilla cannoness good again so I'm not worried if Celestine can't be my HQ.   

If Celestine is 40 meltabombs, does that include her Gemini?

If she gets EW, and can still join a unit with her Gemini that would be insanely good for 40 meltabombs. I am guessing that even if Celestine gets EW her Gemini don't.

Does she still get her heavy flamer?

Her rules definitely do seem good and the points cost appears a bargain - it has to include the geminae since they're mandatory. And being able to join a unit? Goodie, inside a Seraphim unit she'll be hard to kill indeed, and there can be a Superior to take at least the first challenge if needed. Since they're even named I suppose the Geminae could be characters... but I seriously doubt it, as that'd make challenge-dodging too easy. But given that they can be brought back and the 4++ they have, they can also nicely add some durability to a Seraphim unit.

In general I'm determined to finally start using jump troops once I get back onto the tabletop battlefields. I always intended to with Sisters and Marines alike because I really like the aesthetic and idea (my first "real" connection to the 40k universe was the Space Marine game, where it was awesome when you got a jump pack in the campaign). But with marines have actually only used them a few times (BT codex and 6th Ed marine codex) and can't actually recall if I used Seraphim in the 4 games I've played with a Sisters+IG combo, oddly I don't think I have any photos of those games. At any rate even in Templars+Sisters combo lists the new Celestine will be handy indeed, together with a jump chaplain or such leading an onslaught of jump models to bring the Emperor's wrath to the enemy!

Don't know sadly. I only got to look at the box set rules for the triumvirate

She not WS7 I7 anymore?

Didn't catch that in the post. Dunno if I believe any of what brother carc claims at the moment really.

Firmly back in the "waiting to see it on pages" camp.

Don't know sadly. I only got to look at the box set rules for the triumvirate

She not WS7 I7 anymore?
Didn't catch that in the post. Dunno if I believe any of what brother carc claims at the moment really.

Firmly back in the "waiting to see it on pages" camp.

He mentioned that she had a dante stat line, with -1T and +1W which would put her at -1WS -2BS -1I -1A +1S over where she was before.

Ok not exactly the Dante stat line, I just wasn't sure exactly how much detail I could go into:

She has functionally the same stat line (as her old one) but with +2W and EW.

She still gets the heavy flamer

Ardent blade is still MC

Geminae do not get EW

The bombardment is an assault weapon

Her WT is the same

Ok not exactly the Dante stat line, I just wasn't sure exactly how much detail I could go into:

She has functionally the same stat line (as her old one) but with +2W and EW.

She still gets the heavy flamer

Ardent blade is still MC

Geminae do not get EW

The bombardment is an assault weapon

Her WT is the same

5 wounds?

WT?

Archived