Sons of Mortarion (30k and 40k): old meets new

iandanger

Greetings Bolter and Chainsword! It has been AWHILE since I posted, but I've been mostly putting my stuff on the Independent Characters forum and frankly while it is a lovely community, things are a bit slow over there, comment-wise.

In the last 3 years I've built, in order, a Slaanesh, Khorne, and Tzeentch CSM/Daemon army. My marines are otherwise a mix of Red Corsairs and Death Guard. This fall I got an airbrush and placed a pretty big resin order, which nearly completed my Nurgle daemons. I am 1 getting started box away from being done the army, which I'll likely buy in the next month.

Circling back around to Nurgle has meant a mix of building and re painting, I even have some models to strip. The big thrust of this project is going to be unifying the paint scheme for my 30k death guard (which I am starting thanks to buying 2 Prospero sets) with my 40k army.

The 30k Death Guard I am exploring a few paint schemes:

Scheme 1: Stripy paint over rust with nurgle's rot

B3wS12R.jpg

qSSaypf.jpg

Scheme 2: Whitewashed

mlDs427.jpg

y2C7HOH.jpg

Scheme 3: Dirty white with weathering overtop

Xcm5TPx.jpg

hSxrtxq.jpg

On top of the 60 marines (and im still working on the breakdown of what to equip them as...) I also picked up a spartan, and have about 25 termies + mortarion. I am in the middle of stripping down/repairing 6x mk I rhinos and 3x mk I vindicators in order to give my dudes a ride and my legion's preferred heavy support tank.

viEyMAt.jpg

On the 40K side, i have been working on painting plague toads, a GUO, a plague hulk, some plague drones, along with repainting my old metal GUO, nurglings, and plague bearers

ytZSfI1.jpg

4mvNNF6.jpg

hxilRTo.jpg

k7RZM2x.jpg

YfSEhkt.jpg

The panels on the plague hulk are the first test of my 40k death guard scheme, I'll take more pictures once it is done:

8HNH1RT.jpg

kvn0XbI.jpg

Finally, a tease of things to come, a Nurgle addition to my Renegade Knight household:

vd53dPa.jpg

Anyhow, that's all for now. I'll have more updates on the Knight this weekend (I am hoping to get the sculpting done or close to done soon) and will probably finish the plague hulk before returning back to 30k experiments.

Candleshoes, thanks! I'm a fan of all of them currently, and have 2-3 other designs I want to try, they may all wind up used in one way or another!

Gideon, thanks, I was actually planning on getting the varnish and oil paint i need to try oil washing today but an ice storm has spoiled my plans. I'm also planning to try weathering pigment

Quixtus, haha yeah the current line of nurglings are fantastic. There are actually 7 of them in or on my knight...speaking of...

w4deEfQ.jpg

rOMStBT.jpg

3vtoWNF.jpg

Rwl1HbZ.jpg

2uAu2UX.jpg

7hPtS30.jpg

P4aJ1Dh.jpg

SNH2lSE.jpg

Fe38MAT.jpg

JUbL42l.jpg

olneGKO.jpg

pcruzBa.jpg

*Edit*

Adding another shot of the knight, I'm getting very close to having him assembled, the remaining steps are some greenstuff work on panels, touching up, and really bulking up the extremities with more cabling. Im then going to give more of an organic look by making tattered skin over the cables with greenstuff. After that I'm going to add more and larger entrails. Then I have to decide if I'm going to sculpt the faceplate into more of a daemonic visage...

1icC0Bi.jpg

Well, it isn't quite done yet, but the castigator is damn close. The back hoof needs more GS work and I'm doing touch-ups and some details, but the model is nearing completion.

You can, I think, spot all 7 nurglings that decorate the knight.

mGOyXqd.jpg

UY8HV2u.jpg

If you look closely you can see the daemonic face I sculpted into the shin pad:

yuJmka7.jpg

AVAgA2K.jpg

Hey, I'm getting close to finishing a project, surely I won't start cluttering my work area with something else...

Mf5z9vj.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So, I set aside my Death Guard for a few weeks in order to finish last year's army, my 1k sons/Tzeentch Daemons army that I did for the Independent Characters Hobby Progress Challenge. I got all but a pair of kitbashed warp talon squads and a bits box jump pack lord done by New Years, and they should all be done this weekend. That should usher in a return to my concurrent 30k and 40k Death Guard project.

In the meanwhile I've been putting some work into this little conversion, which I have been working on for more than 2 years:

Ic5qwzi.jpg

iqc1Xd2.jpg

cqAB9Lj.jpg

Well, I still haven't fully finished my Warp Talons (they're in the highlighting phase, it's like an hour of work tops) but I did put some elbow grease into getting my death guard motor pool cleaned up. These tanks are all second hand, I only started playing 40k in 2007, and back when I bought them I was just eager to have tanks for my astral claws. Now, since then my red corsairs expanded to the point that I no longer wanted to maintain both a loyalist and chaos army (well, excluding a small force of lamenters, they're mostly space hulk termies). That opened up a motor pool of around 11 rhinos, some predators and 3 vindicators. All the models had 3+ coats of paint on them, so I've been soaking some of them for months. It's been a pain even considering that prep, my scrubbing and scraping has been the only thing getting paint off. Anyhow, I got far enough that I now have 3 vindicators built! I primed them earlier tonight. The rest of the tanks will take weeks to prep, and I may need to buy some twin linked bolter bits to finish things off, and depending on how things go I may want some etched brass to add detail. Anyhow, onto the pictures:

A1tlStx.jpg

co1NHMh.jpg

Q10VQIr.jpg

I also finally settled on a pose for my mortarion (minus the head which I'll glue after painting):

tL9lU9w.jpg

Archived