Into Darkness. 61st Company, VIIIth Legion 'Night Lords'.

BeatTheBeat

Your freehand is really quite nice to look at, and the sword blade and jewels all a lot to the model. But there's an unfortunate amount of details on your praetor and other guys that are just an un-highlighted dark blue.

The chain hanging down from the praetor's right pauldron is unpainted and in the last shot you can see a lot of bare resin and primer.

I'm not sure if you're painting the cables that are common on the legs, helmets and backpacks blue or metal, but a lot are left that dark blue. If you're going blue I'd suggest highlighting them so they don't look unfinished, but having said that, it looks like you've painted some cables , so it comes out looking a bit inconsistent.

I do quite enjoy your painting, but imo they all rather look like high-end WIPs that aren't quite done yet

Pearson_73 - Thanks mate :)

helterskelter - Glad you like it! More to come hopefully.

Cthonia - Thanks!

SkimaskMohawk - Thanks for the feedback, I'm guilty of missing details quite often when I'm nearing completion, a lot of my models would benefit from (and often eventually get) a touch up some days or weeks later when I give them a second look. I don't think there's any unhighlighted dark blue areas though, I've individually blended each plate up from Kantor Blue to whatever the Ice Blue equivalent is called nowadays. If you see any unhighlighted blue on the Praetor it's either because of the photo/lighting or something I honestly still can't spot, so in that case please point out exactly where.

Hrolf the Cunning - Thanks! Absolutely more Mk. II coming, by far my favourite mark.

Just finished assembling a Tartaros terminator yesterday, will try to get photos of it ASAP. Next up for painting is probably the Vexilia bearer.

Cheers,
BTB

What I meant by unhighlighted dark blue details, would be all the details that just got painted over with kantor blue and were never revisited.

The only areas where you don't highlight where you should is the front rim of the feet, especially noticeable on the sarge. The praetor escapes this problem simply by having mkIII feet

• 4 weeks later...

SkimaskMOhawl - Yeah, I'm pretty bad at those rims haha! Will hopefully correct this on future models, thanks for pointing it out.

Finished my first Terminator (out of, hopefully, five):

http://i.imgur.com/dUelVZ9.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/3Amx0OE.jpg

Gheorghe Ionescu of the Bucellarii, Terminator Elite, 61st Company, Legio VIII 'Night Lords'

"At dawn on the seventh day, the defenders of the central fortress-bastion had lost their spirit from seeing their captured kin flayed alive before the walls by the Night Lords. Cruel and barbaric as such methods are, I cannot dispute their efficiency. Then, finally, came the assault of the Terminator host. Like belligerent gods they were, like ancient titans of blood, death and fire. The earlier flaying now seemed almost civilized."

- Ortos Marvelli, Remembrancer by the Decree of the Lord of Mankind, attached to Legio VIII.

Cheers,
BTB

I really like your blue. The conversions are top notch too (the Vampire sword is really fitting, might have to use that, and I love the Corpse Cart vexilla). I also don't mind the all blue look with the Bolter cases, makes for a very stealthy look, although I can see why people might think it's too much blue.

Archived