What would you like BL to do as a sequential series?

DukeLeto69

For Imperium focused stuff:

I'd like to see Nova Terra Interregnum/Cataclysm of Souls/Moirae Schism novelized.

I probably won't wind a ton of friends with this but I'd like books where Xenos are the protagonists. Perhaps a series on the rise of the Kabals in Commorragh? Or a series on the establishment of the Farsight Enclaves?

Ditto on all of the above, and I second a xenos-centred series. Ten thousand years is a long time, and it would be great to have Eldar history fleshed out as well as humans. Particularly whether the Farseers played a role in instigating the Nova Terra Interregnum or Age of Apostasy - though it doesn't have to have been a successful role smile.png

Fatsight enclaves would be something of interest for me as well smile.png

Hilarious type-o

Lol. But Unifucation wars take precedent ;)

besides the apostacy, UNIFICATION WARS! Maybe a TBA type series is a good way to start it off to gauge interest smile.png

Unification wars would be probable only after the 'Scouring' and 'Great Crusade' - we will not live that long.

Actually the civil strife of Nova Terra Interregnum is the reason I want it less than some SM/Astra Militarum against xenos empire campaign. Main point - let it not be orks, sign...

Posted · Hidden by WarriorFish, January 24, 2017 - No reason given
Hidden by WarriorFish, January 24, 2017 - No reason given

were any of the recent Tau-based books any good btw? When i saw them come out it seemed they were basically released to support the release of some new models - i haven't collected the models for more than 10 years now and i don't really desire average stuff for the sake of selling plastic.

I would like a Farsight enclave-era kind of Tau intrigue/expansion series. That's their great crusade kind of equivilent right there. You have the ideals and some characters, you have the potential for internal drama as well as plenty to see of humanity and other species. The opportunity to see further than the pretty shallow backstory that the Tau possess (I was collecting models when they first released, and i don't think they've had much story time since then??)

Tau i guess aren't hugely popular these days so would probably be unlikely to occur.

Hmmm I know this is probably illogical as I have already been clear that I do want some entries on the timeline between HH and present to get the series treatment but personally I would not like to see the Unification Wars. Some things do still need to be left obscure and to our imaginations. I like the idea that it was so far in the past that records no longer exist and mankind simply doesn't know (and nor do we).

Same thing goes for the Men of Stone and the Men of Iron. Legends from the distant past.

So for me only things that have happened during the 10,000 years of the Imperium of Man. But that's just me :-)

I'm not sure how it would be done, but I think it would be cool to have a series set entirely in the Palace, and takes place as the Primarchs are found and brought to Terra. They'd all start a little rough around the edges, being the warlord/conqueror of their own planet, and get more more more, I dunno, indoctrinated? They'd be getting the crash course in all the things they didn't learn from their home world as well as interact with the other Primarchs. Have Fulgrim and Ferrus do their smithing competition. Perturabo and Magnus sitting in the library studying together. Vulcan doing whatever it was that the Emperor wanted him to do that kept him from his legion for so long. Curze doing, whatever the hell Curze does in his free time. I don't think it's something that would ever really be done, but it would be fun to have a Harry Potter like series, but for Primarchs instead of wizards. And they're all ten foot tall murder machines...

I'm not sure how it would be done, but I think it would be cool to have a series set entirely in the Palace, and takes place as the Primarchs are found and brought to Terra. They'd all start a little rough around the edges, being the warlord/conqueror of their own planet, and get more more more, I dunno, indoctrinated? They'd be getting the crash course in all the things they didn't learn from their home world as well as interact with the other Primarchs. Have Fulgrim and Ferrus do their smithing competition. Perturabo and Magnus sitting in the library studying together. Vulcan doing whatever it was that the Emperor wanted him to do that kept him from his legion for so long. Curze doing, whatever the hell Curze does in his free time. I don't think it's something that would ever really be done, but it would be fun to have a Harry Potter like series, but for Primarchs instead of wizards. And they're all ten foot tall murder machines...

"Yer a primarch Horus!"

The four gods being the four houses

Mortarion being Snape "I hate you all."

Perturabo being the janitor "I hate you even more you chaos lovin' punks!"

Conrad being the nearly headless ghost guy

Lorgar being Dumbledore "Come here kids. Let us speak about magic and divinity."

Horus being Potter

Alpharius / Omegon being the Wesley twins, nobody knows what they are doing but hell, they know how to blow stuff up

Emperor = Voldemort

While loyalists Primarch are his horcruxes (don't know the English words for them)

Sounds reasonable enough.

Anyone ready to write a book?

I'm not sure how it would be done, but I think it would be cool to have a series set entirely in the Palace, and takes place as the Primarchs are found and brought to Terra. They'd all start a little rough around the edges, being the warlord/conqueror of their own planet, and get more more more, I dunno, indoctrinated? They'd be getting the crash course in all the things they didn't learn from their home world as well as interact with the other Primarchs. Have Fulgrim and Ferrus do their smithing competition. Perturabo and Magnus sitting in the library studying together. Vulcan doing whatever it was that the Emperor wanted him to do that kept him from his legion for so long. Curze doing, whatever the hell Curze does in his free time. I don't think it's something that would ever really be done, but it would be fun to have a Harry Potter like series, but for Primarchs instead of wizards. And they're all ten foot tall murder machines...

"Yer a primarch Horus!"

That's sadly already been done, by virtue of John French & Graham McNeill's Azhek+Ormuzd.

"Yer a wizard, Ahri."

I'll show myself out.

I'm not sure how it would be done, but I think it would be cool to have a series set entirely in the Palace, and takes place as the Primarchs are found and brought to Terra. They'd all start a little rough around the edges, being the warlord/conqueror of their own planet, and get more more more, I dunno, indoctrinated? They'd be getting the crash course in all the things they didn't learn from their home world as well as interact with the other Primarchs. Have Fulgrim and Ferrus do their smithing competition. Perturabo and Magnus sitting in the library studying together. Vulcan doing whatever it was that the Emperor wanted him to do that kept him from his legion for so long. Curze doing, whatever the hell Curze does in his free time. I don't think it's something that would ever really be done, but it would be fun to have a Harry Potter like series, but for Primarchs instead of wizards. And they're all ten foot tall murder machines...

"Yer a primarch Horus!"
That's sadly already been done, by virtue of John French & Graham McNeill's Azhek+Ormuzd.

"Yer a wizard, Ahri."

I'll show myself out.

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i65/kieran_m/942E7F55-151C-423A-B9B3-2CF447940DC5_zpsmorj78qc.gif

Hmmm I know this is probably illogical as I have already been clear that I do want some entries on the timeline between HH and present to get the series treatment but personally I would not like to see the Unification Wars. Some things do still need to be left obscure and to our imaginations.

I understand your sentiment

...but what prevents you from disregarding/not reading a Unification Wars series?

unification wars from the viewpoint of one of the peoples being conquered by the emp's forces would be interesting

Especially the one not corrupted by winds of Chaos. A simple human tyrant who has done his best to save people close to him in the time of Darkness. And great Emperor of Mankind - tyrant slaughtering his way to unification msn-wink.gif

I think you've hit two great points. First: tighter focus. Second: be a setting.

Like the HH opening trilogy.

What they might want to do is a focussed tight series, but that lends itself to divergent/other big stories.

So the Age of Apostasy told three books Vandire's assistant, three books of Thor's best pal. Intimate and heavy character driven, but absolutely huge capacity for soin-off stories.

The same idea, for me, would be workable for:

- The Abyssal Crusade. (Go extraordinarily heavy on cameos/incidental characters.)

- The Nova Terra Interregnum

- The Moirae Schism

I'd love to see the Moirae schism as told by a coterie of trainee techmarines. Really go deep into it. 3-8 books, extraordinarily character driven.

Big plot things, very few tedious go-nowhere fight scenes.

Well, for the Reign of Blood (the Age of Apostasy was a much longer period related to a rise in warp storm activity that simply included the Reign of Blood), I would want books from Alicia Dominica's point of view.

Something about Cardinal Bucharis's Plague of Unbelief (that's the one with Dolan the Great Confessor) would also be cool, and we'd get to see the Space Wolves kick butt tongue.png

Nothing definite for sure. The rumors and hints we have until now are way more inspiring. Maybe more of this in order to leave is clueless. But no definite facts, please

Nothing definite for sure. The rumors and hints we have until now are way more inspiring. Maybe more of this in order to leave is clueless. But no definite facts, please

Yeah . . . and plus I don't trust GW to not completely screw it up :P There is already plenty of detail in the 2E Sisters codex.

I'd love to see one of the more... esoteric authors (I vote Farrer) do a 2nd or 11th Primarchs novel.

Imagine it. A novel where we can't come away with definitive facts or ruined mysteries, but that's still an elegantly done, satisfying novel.

---

As for the Unification wars - folks said the same ("don't ruin the mystery!") with the Horus Heresy. Some books arguably belittle the series, but the same could be said of 40k in general. (Book 4 Ventris, I'm looking at you.)

Weak books hurt the idea, strong books embiggen it.

Edit:

In hindsight, I nowadays feel that it is a bit sad that GW didn't seize the day more strongly and explicitly include the 2nd & 11th in the Heresy story. No weaseling around, just outright (where it's relevant) settle on the facts of the matter.

As a pure puzzle, working out how their two (or more) stories could neatly, satisfyingly fit into the GC & HH narrative would have been mega to get to grips with.

Pretty tantalising, eh?

I'd love to see one of the more... esoteric authors (I vote Farrer) do a 2nd or 11th Primarchs novel.

Imagine it. A novel where we can't come away with definitive facts or ruined mysteries, but that's still an elegantly done, satisfying novel.

---

As for the Unification wars - folks said the same ("don't ruin the mystery!") with the Horus Heresy. Some books arguably belittle the series, but the same could be said of 40k in general. (Book 4 Ventris, I'm looking at you.)

Weak books hurt the idea, strong books embiggen it.

Edit:

In hindsight, I nowadays feel that it is a bit sad that GW didn't seize the day more strongly and explicitly include the 2nd & 11th in the Heresy story. No weaseling around, just outright (where it's relevant) settle on the facts of the matter.

As a pure puzzle, working out how their two (or more) stories could neatly, satisfyingly fit into the GC & HH narrative would have been mega to get to grips with.

Pretty tantalising, eh?

Farrer yes! 2nd and 11th - no. They should not touch it - the result will not be for the fans liking.

'Some books arguably belittle the series, but the same could be said of 40k in general. (Book 4 Ventris, I'm looking at you.)' - I would say book 5 belittle it much more, lol.

Pretty tantalising, eh? - nope.

They could create and use a lot of 'mystery' material for Scouring and Eskrandor ;)

The four gods being the four houses

Mortarion being Snape "I hate you all."

Perturabo being the janitor "I hate you even more you chaos lovin' punks!"

Conrad being the nearly headless ghost guy

Lorgar being Dumbledore "Come here kids. Let us speak about magic and divinity."

Horus being Potter

Alpharius / Omegon being the Wesley twins, nobody knows what they are doing but hell, they know how to blow stuff up

Emperor = Voldemort

While loyalists Primarch are his horcruxes (don't know the English words for them)

Sounds reasonable enough.

Anyone ready to write a book?

Mortarion is a young Voldemort - he simply don't know it.

Malcador is a Dumbledore :)

'Horus being Potter' - well.... ahaaaaa, I see what you planned where, lol

Hmmm I know this is probably illogical as I have already been clear that I do want some entries on the timeline between HH and present to get the series treatment but personally I would not like to see the Unification Wars. Some things do still need to be left obscure and to our imaginations.

I understand your sentiment

...but what prevents you from disregarding/not reading a Unification Wars series?

Oh if BL did a Unification Wars series I would probably buy it (if it had good reviews) but my personal preference would be to stick to stories set during the Imperium of Man as there is 10k years to play with. As I said, just prefer "ancient history" to remain something of a mystery, almost a "time of legends"

unification wars from the viewpoint of one of the peoples being conquered by the emp's forces would be interesting

Especially the one not corrupted by winds of Chaos. A simple human tyrant who has done his best to save people close to him in the time of Darkness. And great Emperor of Mankind - tyrant slaughtering his way to unification msn-wink.gif

pretty much exactly what i would hope for

This is not something I want as I like the mystery and appreciate the pointed asides in the HH books but how would people feel about something exploring the 2nd and 11th legions?

i think it would almost need to be an exercise in frustration. along the lines of people who go in search of the mysteries of atlantis

Can't see them doing anything with the 2/11th legions given their past refusals to add anything to them. It is also why I don't believe we will ever see an expansion of the Great Crusade era. They couldn't do it properly without some mention of the missing Primarchs and /or their legions. The Unification Wars, which would bypass the Primarchs and legions, would be doable though.

Also, removing the 2nd/11th mystery would probably annoy as many people as it apleases.

This is not something I want as I like the mystery and appreciate the pointed asides in the HH books but how would people feel about something exploring the 2nd and 11th legions?

If you like mystery, it would be very easy for you not to buy or read the books at issue

If you like mystery, it would be very easy for you not to buy or read the books at issue

Agreed, but too many people would complain anyway. Besides, with all the hype that's built up around this mystery, no author could possibly please all of the fans with an answer.

Personally, I'd like some kind of answer to this mystery, if only to the question of just how two whole freaking legions and two Primarchs just vanish from ALL government records. Didn't Magnus or Lorgar or Alpharius keep the knowledge safe from censors somewhere?

This is very true, what's your take on it?

I like the idea that the purging of/search for information could be the story, not the information itself. 

But I do fear that my flight of fancy has probably moved the thread off topic.

My opinions below...

1. I think any portion of 40K has huge potential

The 2 lost legions, the Unification Wars, even snippets from the DAoT

2. Bad authours produce bad work, regardless of the subject within 40K

3. Does the 40K setting need some mysteries?

I think the 40K setting needs high quality fiction more than anything less.

Bad fiction could destroy the allure of a good mystery if readers are incapable of ignoring it

Good fiction replaces a mystery with something even better, a fascinating, well-crafted story better than anything you could've come up with on your own

Archived