What would you like BL to do as a sequential series?

DukeLeto69

This is not something I want as I like the mystery and appreciate the pointed asides in the HH books but how would people feel about something exploring the 2nd and 11th legions?

If you like mystery, it would be very easy for you not to buy or read the books at issue
Well, yeah you wouldn't have to read the books, but you would hear about what was in them, and then there wouldn't be any mystery. Sure, you could pretend you didn't know what happened, but essentially the mystery is ruined since the mainstream fluff would no longer include that mystery. Personally I don't care too much either way about the lost legions, but for those that like the mystery, I'd imagine fluff on the list legions existing would ruin it for them.

Unification Wars, especially if we get to see the Pacification of Luna (and a black on white confirmation that Albia. Is. Not. Albania.) From the Terrawatt Clans to Kalagann's court, from the Etnarchy's Ur-Khasis supersoldiers to the Panpacific armies… the amount of stuff from back then I want to read about is endless.

Rangdan Xenocides, I want to see the Dark Angels at their peak.

Nova Terra Interregnum, if the theory about both Imperias having their own marine foundings is right.

One way to touch the II and XI would be to set a story just after the Damnatio Memoria, as everyone wants to talk about their shock but just can not if they want to live.

Ha, I have a pipe dream. I'd like The Wire in Necromunda or another key setting - not exactly big, but something ambitious and meaningful - the inheritance of the best aspects of the sardonic science fiction melting pot origins of the 40K world, about the systemic impossibility of social mobility, power's corruption, religion, politics, socio-economic inequality, gender, identity and the like - a cynical look at the world depicted (like Farrer did to an extent with Calpunia) but with the edge that Rogue Trader inherited but which kinda slid away - but which is far more possible with the demented world of modern 40K; indeed as a dystopia without an answer, 40K has its own messages about the human condition (rather than a pastiche of David Simon et al.'s work, as - I admit - my 'The Wire in Necro' sounds). To wrap it around or into an existing story - about House Helmawr, for example, or that mad cardinal people love. Basically building upon the better parts of The Beast Arises, done Dickensian, rather than its weaker elements.

And licenced fiction can do this, for sure. But it's unlikely, I know :D 

I wouldn't mind seeing a trilogy about the Marines Malevolent. They're supposed to be gits, so lets see the whys and wherefores of it on their home turf.

Or how about the 'everyday' stuff of the Imperium? The politics and struggles of a random Planetary Governor, maybe? With his people on the verge of civil war, he's got to get things under control or face the Administratum with a diminished tithe, an unready defence force and a treasury in shambles... a bolt-fest, this is not.

Game of Thrones is actually a story about a feudal world in the Segmentum Pacificus currently being ravaged by the Plague of Unbelief. A certain character carries the Lion Sword Lightbringer. Little do they know the Deathwing are bearing down on them in Book 7. tongue.png

I'd like to see The Great Scouring as a series to conclude the Heresy Series.

Seeing how much happens in the Scouring, the series could basically be The Horus Heresy: Part Two. Both events are pretty much the same war, just that the Imperium are the ones on the offensive, not the traitors.

Seeing how much happens in the Scouring, the series could basically be The Horus Heresy: Part Two. Both events are pretty much the same war, just that the Imperium are the ones on the offensive, not the traitors.

The Horus Heresy series continuing past Terra seems likely, it would actually be cool if they just kept working their way forward from the heresy with novels.

Well, yeah you wouldn't have to read the books, but you would hear about what was in them, and then there wouldn't be any mystery. Sure, you could pretend you didn't know what happened, but essentially the mystery is ruined since the mainstream fluff would no longer include that mystery. Personally I don't care too much either way about the lost legions, but for those that like the mystery, I'd imagine fluff on the list legions existing would ruin it for them.

It's a fictional universe...just ignore the works you don't like

It's much easier for someone who likes mystery to ignore a novel...than for someone who wants answers to write his own novel.

It's a fictional universe...just ignore the works you don't like

It's much easier for someone who likes mystery to ignore a novel...than for someone who wants answers to write his own novel.

i don't know if mystery works that way.  mystery is something woven into the fabric of a story, situation or person - it comes through interacting with them. purposefully keeping yourself away from information doesn't really create an aura of mystery, it just makes you willfully ignorant.  mystery is a tease not an omission.i can't turn rambo into a mystery thriller just by skipping chapters on my dvd, for instance.

what i've always wondered about the emp and could also be explored in a pre unification series is whether or not he is really a singular entity or if there were other contenders that rivaled him in the beginning. sort of like other proto emperors that he disposed of or failed in their own ways.

Guys, we forgot THE most important events!

The Dornian Heresy and the Icarion Insurrection!!

In the works. Though if a keen writer could fall in love with the Void Eagles, Steel Legion or Predators, I reckon we'd all appreciate it.

Heretek :)

In the works. Though if a keen writer could fall in love with the Void Eagles, Steel Legion or Predators, I reckon we'd all appreciate it.

Heresy everywhere!

The Horus Heresy series continuing past Terra seems likely, it would actually be cool if they just kept working their way forward from the heresy with novels.

The Horus Heresy after the Siege of Terra is 'Scouring'. They will do additional limiteds etc.  - after all Horus Heresy train has no brakes :)

Ok I have done a quick tot up (sorry if I missed anyone and BTW I deliberately ignored Harry Potter 40k LOL)

Astropath Wars 1

Abyssal Crusade 4

Nova Terra Interregnum 6

Moirae Schism 5

Badab War 4

False Primarch 1

First Tyrannid War 1

Cataclysm of Souls 3

War of the Golden Cog 1

War of the Confessor 1

Gothic War 2

Unification Wars 4

Plague of Unbelief 1

Rangdan Xenocide 1

2nd Founding 1

The Scouring 2 (though I suspect most of us assume this is coming after HH anyway and probably as a setting series rather than sequential series)

Not exactly robust market research I will grant you but some clear winners for the next sequential series there Black Library...take note :-)

Another related question for folks...

Should BL jump around the timeline and produce sequential series focusing on key events ad hoc (I suspect the answer based on above preferences is yes)

Or

Should BL attempt to develop sequential series that explore the timeline chronologically (ie. The next one is about something that is 500-1000 years after The Beast Arises and so on) the reasoning here being that it allows authors to show the steady change to Imperial culture over time before we reach 40k (in the way TBA felt somewhat different to 40k though, IMHO not quite different enough).

Frankly I would prefer they worked through the above list than regular time jump increments. I wouldn't want them to remove too much of the "blank space" between the big events.

So BL should focus on the stories people most excited about and NOT approach these in chronological order...

Abyssal Crusade

Nova Terra Interregnum

Moirae Schism

Badab War

Cataclysm of Souls

Unification Wars

The above but in whatever order they fancy

In all my time at BL, I was pushing for a Unification Wars series, and as I've said at numerous events I frequently said we should pitch for the Badab War as a series. As far I know, there were no plans to proceed with either when I left...

As Nick and I said at BL Live, the Scouring is definitely what comes after the Siege, but there is always the possibility that BL could do non-numbered HH novels that fit *somewhere* into the chronological series. There is precedent for that, in 'The Honoured' and 'The Unburdened', and 'Sons of the Forge'. They're great stories, and they fit the continuity, but they're a "step out of time" rather than a direct run.

But from here on, I wouldn't be surprised if the new numbered HH books only advance towards the Siege of Terra. We spent 18 months refocusing the series after it lost its way somewhat, and I'd hate to see it wander again.

Archived