Blackadder's Attempt To Build a Lucius Patten Imperator

Blackadder

Pardon My Dust,

or 

What a Summer!

It may have come as a complete shock to you all but I do have responsibilities regarding house maintenance that occasionally take precedence over my 40K pursuits.

Long story short; my lovely lady friend managed to dislodge some tiles in the bathroom shower in my 50+ year old residence.  Simple matter of cleaning the backing board and reinstalling the tiles but further investigation revealed that the backing board was sodden and ultimately I had to replace the entire lower half of the shower walls. I then decided to sheath the interior of the shower with tongue and groove beaded styrene paneling. I finished the interior with plastic crown decorative molding which took me halfway through August but the project came out pretty well if I do say so myself. 

After a week or so basking in this past glory; "the light of my life," on stepping out of the shower, she managed to step through the floor in front of the shower door! This necessitated replacing the subfloor and retiling that area as well. Mind you I was in and out off the shower stall easily hundreds of times during the interior work and despite weighing 210 pounds I did not go through the floor. I may need to consider getting a lighter 'main squeeze'

Everything you've said there is an instant reminder why I despise utterly doing any kind of plumbing work.  What should be a simple task often results in trying to fix the mistakes of years and owners past... "Why won't this compression fitting seal?!"

Glad it's sorted now - hopefully for good - nd i'm not even going to attempt to conceal my unbridled joy at updates on this thread.

*squeee*

uRWEpvPl.jpg

MFkZTR6l.jpg

qTDw1bCl.jpg

Ahh! much Better!

vJibQUtl.jpg

The yoke is now centered in the cutout as well...

27YdBcdl.jpg

I have no idea what these cylinders are for....

The arm is solid with no shoulder hinge points.

uRWEpvPl.jpg

MFkZTR6l.jpg

qTDw1bCl.jpg

Ahh! much Better!

vJibQUtl.jpg

The yoke is now centered in the cutout as well...

27YdBcdl.jpg

I have no idea what these cylinders are for....

b2d1wIGl.jpg

The arm is solid with no shoulder hinge points.
Edited by Blackadder

This model astounds me every time i look at it, the sheer scale is just magnanimous!!! looking forward to seeing how the torso comes on   

The sheer scale is "generous or forgiving, especially towards a rival or less powerful person."? :D 

Granted though, this model is huge - so whatever synonym of 'very big' you meant to write, I agree with the sentiment! ;) 

This model astounds me every time i look at it, the sheer scale is just magnanimous!!! looking forward to seeing how the torso comes on   

The sheer scale is "generous or forgiving, especially towards a rival or less powerful person."? :biggrin.: 

Granted though, this model is huge - so whatever synonym of 'very big' you meant to write, I agree with the sentiment! :wink:

haha my English is so bad especially considering its the only language i speak lol ..... but yeh this models scale is just crazy, keep it up Blackadder!!!!

Flying Buttresses!!!

I guess it's no secret I work entirely without plans; so when perusing the only image I have of this beastie for the umpteenth time I rediscovered the d@mned thing has minarets WITH FLYING BUTTRESSES!!! Egad!

r3zutq8l.jpg

The problem is because of the perspective of the image and the obscuring smoke it's hard to determine what the bottom of these minarets look like and the author of this marvelous 3D monstrosity has not come forth with a clearer view. 

I'm going to have to guesstimate the size and scale of these improbable appurtenances.

I4iN7I7l.jpg

Mercifully there are only four of these constructs and after a fashion I settled on what I believe is a proper size for these escarpments. 
ymRT02pl.jpg

A thought has come to me that the buttresses may have to be duplicated upside down as well but I'll have to see once they are temporarily installed on the model..

54S1imYl.jpg

I have given up on what purpose they may serve other than ornamentation.

Flying Buttresses!!!

I guess it's no secret I work entirely without plans; so when perusing the only image I have of this beastie for the umpteenth time I rediscovered the d@mned thing has minarets WITH FLYING BUTTRESSES!!! Egad!

r3zutq8l.jpg

The problem is because of the perspective of the image and the obscuring smoke it's hard to determine what the bottom of these minarets look like and the author of this marvelous 3D monstrosity has not come forth with a clearer view. 

I'm going to have to guesstimate the size and scale of these improbable appurtenances.

I4iN7I7l.jpg

Mercifully there are only four of these constructs and after a fashion I settled on what I believe is a proper size for these escarpments. 
ymRT02pl.jpg

A thought has come to me that the buttresses may have to be duplicated upside down as well but I'll have to see once they are temporarily installed on the model..

54S1imYl.jpg

Flying Buttresses!!!

r3zutq8l.jpg

I4iN7I7l.jpg

ymRT02pl.jpg

54S1imYl.jpg

Copy pasting in B&C usually causes doublings, Blackadder - hence the quadruple doublepost in one comment! A forum record, methinks! :wink::biggrin.:

That being said, those buttresses look great and well-proportioned. It's insane that you still can find details like that in a single picture, but also very understandable given the time and scope of the project. :tu:

Edited by Augustus b'Raass

A Whirlwind Weekend:

In spite of recurring relapses I managed cobble together some butresses and pylons and tack them in place on the superstructure.

5sdneZkl.jpg

I'm hard pressed to convey how well this is coming together; purely by happenstance I assure you.

0HNn47Zl.jpg

With the first two images I had hoped to demonstrate the internal roominess of the model.

The last image presented here I tried to mimic the 3D image angle so you can get a frame of reference....

PxXVVHGl.jpg

Right now the recent additions are just tacked into place so they can be removed for detailing. 

Thanks for the replies.

Hi Bladder!

The amount of work you've done is very impressive. The buttresses are a great addition.

I'm curious - how much does the whole assembly weigh? Are you concerned about the upper body staying stable on the legs and waist?

I know you have a structure you put around the titan to keep it stable, I guess I'm wondering how you plan on keeping it stable without that structure.

The model is pretty stable without the hangar/gantry but I'll keep it in the support structure when not in use (Not that I'll ever use the thing in an actual game; I'll leave that to my son if he so chooses that is.) I only buid these things for fun.

The last time I weighed it it was about 10 kilo/22 pounds but I am sure it is much heavier now. 

The hip and pelvis will support a lot more weight than 15 kilo/ 33 pounds I'm' sure. I made them out of PVC plumbing tubing and twist tight compression coupling fittings.

The reason for the few times it collapsed is I neglected to tighten the fittings sufficiently after assembly..  all my Titans are completely posable and after a photo shoot I return the legs to the classic  splay legged pose for stability during storage in the "hangar' 

Thanks for the questions.  :)

Yesterday I was asked a the question, "How much does this entire construction weigh?"

I guessed approximately 10 kilo or 20.2pounds at the moment. 

Today I weighed the upper body (no mean featBTW) which turned out to be 8,03 kilo / 17.7 pounds so perhaps altogether 11 kilo or 24.25 pounds.

Down to today's business.....

Yesterday evening in a flurry of activity I finally put together the central Keep framework and platform

nREAq79l.jpg

The size of which was determined by the placement of the rear towers.

8hihHpkl.jpg

The following images demonstrate where the Keep is in relation to the deck components.

bcNi4Hcl.jpg

vO8ow5Ol.jpg

CkbErSZl.jpg

cp1uZptl.jpg

0zPIkOjl.jpg

Today I shall be working on the corner turrets to bring them in line with the rest of the construction.

Every time i check this, it gets more and more impressive.

And when you're done with it, you can play a game of Necromunda on it.

No need of a table to put it on, the deck should be easily accessible if that monster stands on the floor.

Aedificium:

For want of a better name.

This central structure fits nicely between the two rear towers and will have a catwalk instead of a peaked roof. 

O4F4rvxl.jpg

I've not yet decided how to place the front/rear of the structure given that the base fits nicely either way.

aBLUoqol.jpg

I will be departing for the original 3D image either way as I have only a vague idea what the inner court looks like.

6IDKPDil.jpg

I need to retake these images......

vB6N9bwl.jpg

But you get the general idea.....

D8mR9O3l.jpg

This is my favorite view :D

9ojNEqsl.jpg

Martini time,

Skoal!

Lord Mephistopheles: Very cool! Max, Maya, or Blender? And any plans to animate?

Blackadder; If memory serves, the area that you placed your vault had a orbital defense laser mounted on it and the middle court yard was the 'Temple of the Emperor Ascended'  with a big old cannon of some sort out the middle. If that helps any.  Plus, any plans on a dome someplace? Or a Rose Window (on the back)?

Lord Mephistopheles: Very cool! Max, Maya, or Blender? And any plans to animate?

Blackadder; If memory serves, the area that you placed your vault had a orbital defense laser mounted on it and the middle court yard was the 'Temple of the Emperor Ascended'  with a big old cannon of some sort out the middle. If that helps any.  Plus, any plans on a dome someplace? Or a Rose Window (on the back)?

None of the above - it's currently in AutoCAD (because that's what I know how to use).

My long-term plan / dream / fantasy is to get it on a 3D printer for a Titanicus-scale model.  Once it's finished i'm going to put the files up on thingiverse or similar if anyone wishes to go mad and print a 28/32mm scale version.

No current plans to animate.

At the moment i'm trying to make it "look right" - i'd like something to look a bit more integrated than the GW approach of "whack a cathedral on it" from the old Titan Legions Imperator.  Some of the artwork manages it much better, but doesn't match the vision in my head.

I'm not 100% sure about the gatling blaster nipple-guns at the moment - it's a bit FemBot.  The weaponry will end up being the defence laser (modelled on a triple-barrel volcano cannon) and a quake cannon on the carapace centre, as per the "official" model.  Triple-barrel turbo-lasers elsewhere.  Gatling blasters for stripping voids.  Then a giant Hellstorm cannon and a Plasma Obliterator (as the Plasma Annihilator name has been perloined for the Warlord).  Plus a load of secondary weapons.

Edited by Lord_Mephistopheles

I you know AutoCad, you should be able to pick up on Max pretty easily, as it is a derivative of AutoCAd, if you so chose.

As for the 'nipple' guns I'd say reduce the size down to more of an 30mm close defense weapon, similar to what Blackadder has done here, just in a more spiny "BBBRRRRAAAATTTTTT" fashion. :yes: