Blackadder's Attempt To Build a Lucius Patten Imperator

Blackadder

The Aquilas look great!

It's pretty hard to see from the pictures - but do they have the one eye or two? 

Each profile image will have just the one eye. It will probably show up better when it is painted.

One should be blind (the heraldic left one, the one on our right when we look at it)

h8xcgdx09ro21.png

Everything Is Roses:

Even the mistakes are working out; almost as if they were planned.

The 100.00 caliber (2,54 meter) quake cannon emplacement is coming along and should allow for a 45° elevation when completed. The two stylized Aquila fit the trunnion covers exactly and allow for the side sheathing. I fortunately did not cut of the outer edge.

gAvY7Efl.jpg

The forward façade has the look of a helmeted face which was purely unintentional.

rClPAc8l.jpg

And the aerial view works as well.

Impressive work. Will the quake cannon be able to traverse left and right, elevate and depress, to engage enemies not directly in front of the Titan? Or will it be fixed forward?

Only elevate  not depress. The Titan can bend at the hip and rotate at the  waist/hip. A proper turret would change the superstructure too much. Sometimes you have to compromise for artistic appeal.  Look at the King George the fifth battleship; a beautiful ship but aesthetically displeasing because the upper forward turret had only two guns and the lower had four. It made the ship look ungainly but it had to be so for stability and flash abatement so I am given to understand. Three over three  would have looked much better to the eye but the displacement couldn't handle the weigh so far above the center of balance. Also it had 14 inch guns while 16 inch was the state of the art. 

Is That a 200CM Cannon in Your Pocket?

Or are you just glad there is an update?

Anyway before I can go any further with the detail on the center module I need to rough out the cannon mount.

Gt63PLyl.jpg

An old vacuum cleaner extension tube provides the basic barrel and I'll just trim it out with a sleeve to augment the details. 

ca4jaQZl.jpg

A couple of more views to round out the post.

jOj7WV2l.jpg

pMahGQJl.jpg

Next step, the minarets. 

Thanks for the kind words and dedication. 5 hours; whew! 

Be sure to check out my other builds elsewhere on this forum. 

To date I have scratch built:

1, a Lucius Warhound

2, a Thunderhawk

3, a Lucius Warlord

4, a Lucius Baneblade (out of a armourcast Bainblade)

5, an oversized Baneblade I call a Landkreuzer P500; (Die Wühlmaus)

6, a Lucius Pattern Reaver (Still not completed.)
7, a StormBlade (Titan Hunter)
Edited by Blackadder

It's Beginning To Look a Tad Cluttered:

dHZK7X5l.jpg

I may have to widen the superstructure platform.

xWTf2Fel.jpg

This is not as drastic as it sounds because I've already widened the rear of the platform and extended it further aft.

UOhAlBJl.jpg

An inch wider would probably make all the difference

dHZK7X5l.jpg

The central Tower needs to be further back. 

kQx5O4ll.jpg

The two flanking towers which give the structure a portcullis-like appearance  hide the Aquila

These bas reliefs are approximately 2-3 millimeters thick and are a fair representation of the Adeptus Mechanicus Icon.

Gone are the days when I use to spend hours sculpting bas reliefs to decorate my projects.

Witness the effort I put into the pelvic block of my Warlord Titan:

xAcTil.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/6ow9pMwl.jpg

I was searching through my archives for ideas on how to decorate the various chambers of this current project.

Believe it or not here's an Easter egg I put on the soles of the Warlord's feet:

More Skull-duggery

The logo that is most detailed............ 

http://i.imgur.com/dJ51h5Dl.jpg

The mirror is less further along:

http://i.imgur.com/JGdrw5Wl.jpg

The thickness is at this moment 1,5 MM/0.060 inch Needs to be less:

http://i.imgur.com/Va0sU3Al.jpg

Close up reveals some fine cleanup is necessary:

http://i.imgur.com/MB7KmBSl.jpg

I've got to get cracking on this Emperor model

Thanks for the reply...

I have a question and I need some advice.

I'm resurrecting my old Titan Hunter Thread because I need to learn how to do the Plasma Blaster blue glow on the plasma coils

1PdH0Nel.jpg

I have the much larger Coils on the Emperor Titan's weapon and I want to do a bang up job. 

PeQF4BBl.jpg

What colours and What washes do I need to do a real Pro Job?

And yes; as soon as the weather wams up I'll begin painting certain areas of this monster :) 

Back to Business:

Short post today.

I finished the corner spires a day ago and glued them in place.

Msw2i3Nl.jpg

I cannot say what their purpose could be They are too narrow tp climb inside to the top and they are purely decorative in my estimation.

K33H1mxl.jpg

Not that the Imperium is above 'decorating' purely for it's own sake.

Are you implying that the skulls that adorn every single one of the items they manufacture are not always utilitarian? What blasphemy is this!

This masterpiece is such an impressive beauty, I’m always thrilled whenever I see your thread light up with a new post. If anyone on this forum (or anywhere for that matter) deserves the title of Archmagos it would have to be you...

Back to Business:

Short post today.

I finished the corner spires a day ago and glued them in place.

Msw2i3Nl.jpg

I cannot say what their purpose could be They are too narrow tp climb inside to the top and they are purely decorative in my estimation.

K33H1mxl.jpg

That's an easy one; They're housing units for the venting units that clear the air inside the breach cathedral. The output is mixed with holy oils and incense to 'remind' all on deck of the power and majesty, not to mention wraith, of the Omnissiah. Plus, do you know what powder residue does to a ceiling fresco?

Q: What colours and What washes do I need to do a real Pro Job?

I don't presume to be a pro at all, but maybe I can at least start a discussion. And, the context of my reply should be likened to a passerby at Buckleberry ferry or the prancing pony, while acknowledging you're the one with the ring headed to Mt. Doom. If you know already what I say next or its off-point, please disregard any excessive dialogue. My conclusion at the end, as at the beginning, is that this titan is sublime, brilliant, and extraordinary work, by which I do mean unique.

So then, let us speak of plasma colors. To get there I think we should talk about the focus & story of the titan, color saturation, and contrast. 

1. First, before we get to colors, I'd say you may need to decide where attention should be drawn on the titan. That is to say, whether or not the plasma coils are a central focus point or not.

A. Focusing attention on your model is unusual because the subject is so large, ordinary or general rules of miniature painting, may not apply. Casual acquiescence to perfunctory and repetitious averments of well-intentioned pundants simply won't do. The size of this thing ought to give us pause to reflect before embarking on the journey. So, in considering size, something like a large gallery painting might provide more guidance on the nature of focus and story at this scale, as opposed to a vision of a lowly imperial guardsman. 

B. Also, creating focus & story to grab that viewer's attention isn't color choice alone. Lots of factors could play into this for a whole different discussion.

C. As to color choice, you may have chosen to continue with the cover artwork and it's already decided. There's nothing at all wrong with that at all and it might be rather useful to do so. If so, I suppose we can start by observing the body appears red, yellow, black, with gold highlights. The plasma cannon has a light blue glow. So, appropriate light blue layers might be teclis blue, lothern blue. For a bit of blue green or turquoise instead, you could do Baharroth blue and Temple guard blue. Washes might be drakenhof nightshade, Coelia Greenshade. Certainly other ranges like vallejo, P3, Scale 75, or MSP, etc. would be perfectly adequate. Brand doesn't matter to me, but I'd avoid using an unfamiliar brand without experimentation or practice subjects first. 

D. By using the cover art, you get a nice template to use, and that's not insignificant. By choosing your own colors, you do get some creative room in story telling. Maybe you want the plasma color to really show horror, terror, or certain death. Emotionally, light blue evokes a spring wedding, whereas deep red might evoke blood (of course this is totally subjective, certainly other factors like the pose, design, and paint scheme overall might bring forth the sense of triumph among our friends, or certain death to our enemies).

2. Second, color saturation (purity or intensity of the hue itself) is going to be a very important part of the choice on focus. Contrast across the model in saturation differences can guide focus and make it very appealing. So, you may want to consider really highly pigmented paints for the plasma. Somewhat recently the Kimera Kolors came on the market, of which White, Pthalo blue, and Pthalo Green would be suited to your plasma. Though these are highly saturated, the scale of the subject here suggests to me that pre-mixed paint would be less stressful in operation.

A. As an example of really saturated colors, I think of a tournament of knights with tents and streaming banners. Everywhere you look, there are beautiful and brilliant colors. The viewer is drawn to each small detail all at once, to the point of a fault. I think this example is probably a decent comparison to a titan on parade grounds. And, from a story telling perspective, the particular size and effort in constructing the model will draw heightened attention. So, the magnificence in construction should be matched in color. To that end, another option, like Kimera Colors would be Artist inks, like Daler Rowney or Windsor and newton. You'll get very pure color, and are very good by brush and airbrush (inks being very thin). 

B. Next, consider as an example, a trench warfare scene for the Death Korps of Krieg, akin to WW1. The colors are washed out and desaturated. A single brilliant color point (usually a flamer or plasma coil) on such models can be a stark contrast and really draw the attention of the viewer. 

C. An alternative take on your model could be to tone down the gun in favor of drawing attention elsewhere. On occasion plasma coils are painted in patinaed copper. I suppose if the titan was set in a scene of cobwebs and being awoken by priests, this could make sense. Again, it's more dependent the story you want to tell.

3. Contrasting colors. Color wheel time. Painting the titan green with blue plasma might not look the best.

A. Green plasma looks great on blood angels, and orange/red looks great on ultramarine plasma. The contrast between complimentary colors just looks cool. But, a choice on complimentary colors gets more difficult with a complex color scheme. The color wheel can give you an idea of complimentary, split complimentary, triad, and tetrad color schemes. So, for instance, if you are going Red, and yellow on the body, then using a blue for the plasma cannon would fit a triad. There is a great online color wheel to test out color harmony: https://www.sessions.edu/color-calculator/ (credit vincent venturella).

So, I fear I've rambled too far and I'll stop there. Perhaps the gods of painting will deign to grace us with their presence and take the topic of paint choice further. Great work, and good luck.

Q: What colours and What washes do I need to do a real Pro Job?

I don't presume to be a pro at all, but maybe I can at least start a discussion. And, the context of my reply should be likened to a passerby at Buckleberry ferry or the prancing pony, while acknowledging you're the one with the ring headed to Mt. Doom. If you know already what I say next or its off-point, please disregard any excessive dialogue. My conclusion at the end, as at the beginning, is that this titan is sublime, brilliant, and extraordinary work, by which I do mean unique.

So then, let us speak of plasma colors. To get there I think we should talk about the focus & story of the titan, color saturation, and contrast......

...I fear I've rambled too far and I'll stop there. Perhaps the gods of painting will deign to grace us with their presence and take the topic of paint choice further. Great work, and good luck.

Thanks for the thoughtful in depth information. That must have taken a bit of time to type out especially if you type as I do (The Columbus System). I especially appreciate the list of colours.

AgaeNxi.jpg

This is the look I'm going for.

Edited by Blackadder

Thanks for all the replies;

I was in a playful mood yesterday and decided to spend my time making an Adeptus Mechanicus Icon for the front of the Quake Cannon housing.

After a couple of failed attempts I suddenly remembered how I used to produce them, i.e. 

Mount the cut out circle and the center skull (Cast from Green Stuff) bas-relief on a sheet of styrene. 

Then glue on the cogs with the appropriate sized strips of styrene. using the next size larger strip. In this case I used 0.030 X 0.100 and 0.030 X0.125 Evergreen Strip Styrene.

I then added the skull metal prosthetic to the right side of the skull and finished off with 0.025 rod for the cables and 0.100 rod for the eyepiece.

i5jk442l.jpg

OMEhwdXl.jpg

This is the smallest Icon I've made so far.

I hope when it's painted it doesn't look as crappy as it does right now.